Author Topic: The ultimate safe space  (Read 893 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The ultimate safe space
« on: July 12, 2016, 12:21:11 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/11/snowflake-arizona-environmental-illness

...most of the residents in Snowflake have what they call “environmental illness”, a controversial diagnosis that attributes otherwise unexplained symptoms to pollution.

The idea that modern conveniences cause pain dates to the mid-19th century. In 1869, doctor George Beard published several papers blaming modern civilization and steam power for ailments such as “drowsiness, cerebral irritation, pain, pressure and heaviness in the head”.

According to him, other indications of chemical sensitivity included “fear of society, fear of being alone, fear of contamination … fear of fears … fear of everything”.

He called the illness neurasthenia. Susie called it being “sensitive to the whole world”.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
Re: The ultimate safe space
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 06:56:30 AM »
cerebral irritation, heaviness in the head

I have that, but i thought it was just an allergy to my job.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 08:32:08 AM »
“environmental illness”,

Been there, done that.

My armchair impression is that this is an easy way to assert some control over your personal social environment.  When you're making a big scene about being "sick", everyone around you has to accommodate.

No, they don't want to hear about psychosis.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 09:29:03 AM »
It is probably significant that the majority of persons suffering from these sort of issues are middle-aged women.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 11:04:27 AM »
It is probably significant that the majority of persons suffering from these sort of issues are middle-aged women.

So, you're saying that town is not a good place for a single guy to live?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 12:30:41 PM »
Guy I new lived in a community that was building out.

An allegedly "allergic to everything" woman moved in, and within a month started laying down demands, followed by lawsuit after lawsuit, mainly on materials that were being used to construct the new houses nearly half a mile away. Various lawsuits demanded specialized building materials, that the houses be built without (and rented/sold with riders forbidding) anything but all-natural-fiber carpets, paints, whole 9 yards of wackiness.

Then she started suing her neighbors over cooking smells, cleaning products, their pets, demanding incredible accommodations. She would also leave notes on people's cars about how they were "murdering" her with the fumes and threatening to make everyone buy electric cars. She sued over people smoking in their homes, demanding that the community be deemed a complete no smoking zone. She sued over satellite dishes, saying they aggravated her condition.

The community tried to be accommodating, but every time they tried to meet her half way she upped the demands. She made life hell for everyone for about 18 months and cost the community and her neighbors a lot of money.

Then one of her other neighbors filmed her in her back yard one afternoon (guess she thought everyone was at work)....

Smoking several cigarettes.

Things went a lot less well for her after that, she was hit with a bunch of counter suits, and she eventually moved.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 12:35:37 PM »
Guy I new lived in a community that was building out.

An allegedly "allergic to everything" woman moved in, and within a month started laying down demands, followed by lawsuit after lawsuit, mainly on materials that were being used to construct the new houses nearly half a mile away. Various lawsuits demanded specialized building materials, that the houses be built without (and rented/sold with riders forbidding) anything but all-natural-fiber carpets, paints, whole 9 yards of wackiness.

Then she started suing her neighbors over cooking smells, cleaning products, their pets, demanding incredible accommodations. She would also leave notes on people's cars about how they were "murdering" her with the fumes and threatening to make everyone buy electric cars. She sued over people smoking in their homes, demanding that the community be deemed a complete no smoking zone. She sued over satellite dishes, saying they aggravated her condition.

The community tried to be accommodating, but every time they tried to meet her half way she upped the demands. She made life hell for everyone for about 18 months and cost the community and her neighbors a lot of money.

Then one of her other neighbors filmed her in her back yard one afternoon (guess she thought everyone was at work)....

Smoking several cigarettes.

Things went a lot less well for her after that, she was hit with a bunch of counter suits, and she eventually moved.

Like the people that move out to the country and then complete about the smell of cow *expletive deleted*it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 12:52:39 PM »
Like the people that move out to the country and then complete about the smell of cow *expletive deleted*it.

Or the shooting range they move next to.

Issac Walton League in Fairfax had that problem years ago with one particular individual trying to shut them down (they'd only been there for 30 some years at that point, and the buyers were FULLY aware that the range was there.

Finally culminated with the woman calling 911 to report that someone from the range had shot in an unsafe direction and the bullet went through her window and into her living room.

Police investigated, and, if I remember the story correctly (Mtnbkr may remember it, too), determined that the woman had apparently trespassed on League property, gotten a bullet from one of the berms, and launched it through her window with a slingshot.

The angle of penetration through the storm window and window were at an upward angle, not downward, and she didn't bother to clean the dirt off the bullet.

I believe that case was one of the ones that helped push through existing range legislation in Virginia.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 01:02:05 PM »
^ Not a CSI fan, I guess, or she would have known better.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
Or the shooting range they move next to.

There was a similar incident (I don't have the link handy) in which someone was trying to get a shooting range shut down and called the police claiming that bullets from the range were landing in his yard.  Police showed up and the resident pointed them to the bullets, which turned out to be unfired cartridges planted by said resident.

Resident got busted for making a false report.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »
Scout can tell you all about folks moving in next door to a gun range and causing trouble.

His club ended up moving way out into the stix partially for that reason.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »
Back in KC there was a racetrack that had been there for years.  When the track opened there was nothing but farmland and/or wilderness around it.  People started moving in and complained.  City told them to get bent.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
There was a similar incident (I don't have the link handy) in which someone was trying to get a shooting range shut down and called the police claiming that bullets from the range were landing in his yard.  Police showed up and the resident pointed them to the bullets, which turned out to be unfired cartridges planted by said resident.

Resident got busted for making a false report.

Yeah, I seem to recall the same thing happening with this lady.... Police tend not to like it when you cobble up a big lie to try and do your dirty work.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 04:13:15 PM »
*snort* mental illness can cause physical symptoms.

Severe anxiety, clinical depression and probably some other alphabet soups in addition to narcissistic personality disorder explain Susie's problems.

And the suicides? Susie is a pusher of her crazy and preys on the mentally ill. I would bet that she enjoys it every single time someone kills themselves.  :mad:

Is Snowflake private property? Because if not, if I'm ever in Arizona I will go down their and *expletive deleted*ck that little bitch's world.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 12:04:15 AM »
I briefly dated a woman who was "sensitive" to a lot of things.

That wasn't the only reason the relationship never developed into a "relationship," but it was a contributing factor.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design