Author Topic: James Arness dies  (Read 3546 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
James Arness dies
« on: June 03, 2011, 03:27:05 PM »
James Arness who starred as Matt Dillon on the TV series Gunsmoke dies at 88

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/06/03/gunsmoke-star-james-arness-dies-at-age-88/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
Re: James Arness dies
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »
Darn . . . he was one of Hollywood's "Good Guys."

I remember him as Matt Dillon . . . and as the hero in the short-lived TV series McClain's Law.

They don't make 'em like that any more.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »
One of hte few actors who made teh Duke look smaller on screen.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 05:48:04 PM »
First Peter, now James....  :'(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Graves
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »
Just heard part of his bio on the news. He served with someone I knew in the 3rd in Anzio.

Would have been neat to have met him at on of the reunions I went to. I was a semi adopted youngen into the group. (I drove some of the old guys around.)

Before you stands a damn fine soldier … a COTTONBALER … by God! I can be counted on to accomplish any mission … any task … any job. I have been in the arena. My face is covered with dust, sweat, and blood. I have known the sweet fragrance of freedom for I have paid the price. I am a damn fine soldier … a COTTONBALER … by God!

jim
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:25:01 PM by Jim147 »
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 08:11:56 PM »
I'll definitely miss Matt Dillon... or, as Miss Kitty called him "Matthew", iirc. The only show my folks would allow me to stay up late to watch. Although I must say Festus (Ken Curtis) stole the show from him at times in the later episodes.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:55:48 PM »
Just heard part of his bio on the news. He served with someone I knew in the 3rd in Anzio.

Would have been neat to have met him at on of the reunions I went to. I was a semi adopted youngen into the group. (I drove some of the old guys around.)

Before you stands a damn fine soldier … a COTTONBALER … by God! I can be counted on to accomplish any mission … any task … any job. I have been in the arena. My face is covered with dust, sweat, and blood. I have known the sweet fragrance of freedom for I have paid the price. I am a damn fine soldier … a COTTONBALER … by God!

jim

When Arness's landing craft beached at Anzio, his CO had him exit first; he was the tallest soldier there and the CO was unsure how deep the water was.
Great actor, a patriot.  R.I.P.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 09:59:26 AM »
He never failed to tower over the bad guys.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »
Dad was a big Gunsmoke fan. Bygawd, when Gunsmoke came on us kids better be quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PcA5DBqrYQ&feature=related
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 08:14:05 PM »
Pity that another American working in Hollywood departs. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
he knew how to kill THEM giant ants
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »
he knew how to kill THEM giant ants
???  He got killed by one of them at the end of the movie ......  [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 12:56:09 PM »
He killed THEM with a fricken FLAMETHROWER!!!!!eleven!!!!11!!!

The FBI sends in local agent Robert Graham (James Arness) to assist.

During the assault, Peterson finds the two missing boys, named Mike and Jerry, alive, trapped near the entrance to the nest. Peterson calls in for backup, but instead of waiting for it, he bravely goes in alone. He heroically rescues the two boys and kills several threatening ants with his flamethrower. Peterson then leads the two boys back to the pipe through which he came, intending that they all crawl back through it to safety. After hoisting up the first boy, Jerry, however, another ant appears from behind. Peterson saves the second boy, Mike, lifting him into the pipe. However, Peterson is left without time to save himself, and as he tries to climb up at the last minute, the ant grabs Peterson in its mandibles, and crushes his abdomen.

Graham arrives at the scene with the reinforcements, and kills the ant attacking Peterson. As the other troops fight off the swarming ants, Graham rushes over to Peterson's side. Peterson, in excruciating pain, is only able to utter his last words to Graham, confirming that the boys made it to safety, before he dies of his wounds. Graham returns to the battle, nearly getting killed himself when a cave-in temporarily seals him off from the rest of the men as they march towards the egg chamber; several ants charge him, but Graham is able to hold them off long enough for the other troops to tunnel through the debris and come to his rescue. The nest's queen and egg chamber are then destroyed with flamethrowers after a short but fierce battle, but the senior Dr. Medford issues a grim warning that "the atomic genie has been let out of the bottle", and further horrors may await mankind. He solemnly intones, "When man entered the atomic age, he opened the door to a new world. What we may eventually find in that new world, nobody can predict."
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
Ok, it was that other guy who got sliced & diced by the ants.  OK.  I can't remember the actor's name but he also found moderate fame in movies and TV back then.  

I haven't seen the movie in awhile.    :facepalm: