Author Topic: Factory Natural Gas Car  (Read 1153 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Factory Natural Gas Car
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:07:12 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,394341,00.html

While it looks like every other Honda Civic on the road, the $24,590 Civic GX I was testing runs on compressed natural gas (CNG). The 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine under the hood isnt much different than one found in a black gold-powered car, but a pressurized fuel system has been installed to deal with gas that is actually in gaseous form.

Strangely enough, I was driving a CNG powered car way back in 1973 Tongue

It wasn't mine, but rather the gas company that I worked for at the time.  A 1970 Impala IIRC.  I didn't drive it all the time, but some days that's what they checked out to me at the beginning of the day.

Funny how this "new" technology is being discovered  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Factory Natural Gas Car
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:28:53 AM »
I looked into this awhile back for my 2005 Ram.  I really wanted a second fuel tank in case I ripped mine off road or someone siphoned/punctured mine.  The CNG/Propane idea was attractive because I could gas up at stations where very few other people could, making my car capable of running even if, say, the two major pipelines into Phoenix that deliver all our fuel ever both simultaneously broke down?  Nah, never happen (2003?  2004?  I don't remember).

It was awfully expensive to add to my truck.  I think the system was about $6000 installed.

Nice to see other new cars taking advantage of it though.  Diversify the fuel-base, at least.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:49:20 PM »
Where would one fill up a car fueled with natural gas. I can't recall seeing anyplace in OKC to do such a thing but there must be a way.

What would you look for? What would you look under in the phone book?

CNG seems to be the way to go if one can actually fuel up. I've read and heard that for the price of a gallon of gas you can go 150 miles or so in a CNG car. Any truth to that?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »
In an area where natural gas is available it be interesting if you could install your own filling station, and refill at your average hardware propane tank filling station while on the road.

Solve the where to fuel up thing at least.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 02:02:24 PM »
I looked into fueling also.

One of the popular ways to fuel (and encouraged by our betters at the fedgov) is to install a second fuel line to your home natural gas system.

Your primary home line runs your water heater and other gas appliances, while the other line is attached to a special meter and then to a compressor/fill machine.  You plug the compressor into your car's tank, flip the on switch, and let it fill.  Uncle sam then charges you the fuel excise tax on your home gas bill to the second line.

How nice for him.

Me?  I say just cut the gas to your home for an afternoon, put a T-line in your gas system and hook up the compressor/fill machine to your primary line.  Screw the excise tax.

Not that I have a CNG car... angel

But, you can solve the distribution problem via home fueling.  If the car runs on dual-fuel, you use your home natgas setup for routine driving, and gasoline for road trips.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:21:33 PM »
Popular Mechanics had a good comparison of alt fuels. None has as much energy per unit as gas iirc.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 05:38:54 PM »
Sorry, but it's still absolute EVIL because it uses fossil fuel and makes global woerming climate change gases.

rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 05:47:18 PM »
Popular Mechanics had a good comparison of alt fuels. None has as much energy per unit as gas iirc.

I don't know how long they have been engines with natural gas but I would guess it has been happening since the very early 20th century.  But only as stationary engines until recently.   Stationary engines just require the proper size piping. and a reliable suppy, and are excellent emergency generator fuel.

Natural gas needs a high pressure compressor to fuel up.  I am talking about 300 PSI.  Last place I work had installed a NG filling station and they tied into a 350 PSI  gas main so it would be easier to pump up the pressure since the first stage was already done.

The big draw back ,as I see it, is lack of fueling stations, and the lack of fuel capacity on the vehicle.

Heat vaule of from low to high is NG, Propane, Butane, gasoline, diesel, bunker oil.  
Of these fuels, bunker oil is used in certain boilers, not usable as motor fuel.  

Diesel and gasoline are available in almost all populated areas.  #2 Deisel is the same fuel as heating oil.  

Propane is available in most towns but it may take some scouting around to find a seller.   As a propane delivery/service man, most of the trucks that I drove at work, since 1959, has been propane powered.

Sorry, but it's still absolute EVIL because it uses fossil fuel and makes global woerming climate change gases.
So does your breathing and your motor vehicles.  When you find a way to get around without breathing, I agree to get a none polluting vehicle.