Author Topic: Incredible ignorance on display  (Read 5342 times)

Hutch

• friend
Incredible ignorance on display
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:28:46 PM »
Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO), apparently did not know that magazines could actually be reloaded with ammunition.  You don't need to make this stuff up, the truth is too useful.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/04/03/co_democrat_doesnt_understand_high-capacity_magazines_can_be_reloaded.html
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Incredible ignorance on display
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 10:46:54 PM »
Well, she is right insofar as magazines do eventually wear out and a ban on new magazines will cause the supply of legal magazines to slowly decrease.

But with umpteen million out there, it is going to take time.

And she's still incredibly ignorant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:54:08 PM »
This clip is even worse.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/04/03/co_dem_rep_tells_senior_citizen_youd_probably_be_dead_anyway.html

Check out that smug little smile, after she assures him the cops would be there within minutes.  :O

Then she tells him he'd probably be dead, anyway.  :facepalm:

I can only conclude that she knows she doesn't have a good answer, and knows that she's just spit-balling nonsense. She's just hoping she can get away with it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 11:21:13 PM »
Have mercy.  [barf]
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 11:30:37 PM »
Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO), apparently did not know that magazines could actually be reloaded with ammunition.  You don't need to make this stuff up, the truth is too useful.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/04/03/co_democrat_doesnt_understand_high-capacity_magazines_can_be_reloaded.html

A "revision" I heard said she meant to say "clip" instead of magazine because clips have no way to feed out rounds like a magazine does...so the can't be re-used. [tinfoil] :rofl:

You know, I'm pretty sure people who use Garands probably keep those clips as they go "sproiiiing!" and fly out.  Those things are probably worth some amount of $$ and I sorta think they get re-used.
Even the M-1 Carbine has ten round "stripper clips" available.  These are used to load the magazines.  They absolutlely can be re-used.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:41:36 AM »
Well, she is right insofar as magazines do eventually wear out and a ban on new magazines will cause the supply of legal magazines to slowly decrease.

I doubt any of my milsurp steel AK magazines will wear out in my remaining lifetime.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 11:53:21 AM »
I don't recall Sarah Palin ever being this flagrantly WRONG on matters of fact (the magazine gaffe) or matters of good sense and concern for others (her careless, idiotic response to the older gentlemen).

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 12:02:14 PM »
I don't recall Sarah Palin being flagrantly wrong.

Let's do a recap, though: we have this dolt thinking that magazines come loaded and can't be re-loaded. We have the vice president advising women to fire a shotgun blast through a door (without knowing who's on the other side), or fire two blasts from a double shotgun from a porch or balcony (violating local ordinances and causing the user to run out of ammo). We have Dianne Feinstein saying that people don't need AR15's to defend themselves, as rifles are better for defense (apparently she doesn't know that AR15's are rifles). We have Carolyn McCarthy banning barrel shrouds while not knowing what they are.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."--Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
Biden's getting his tactics from Maya Angelou, you know.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=38995.0#new

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »
I wish there was a way explain to the ordinary voters that support gun control that the people writing the laws are uniquely unqualified to write that legislation.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »
The problem is, it's willful ignorance. 
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 12:38:20 AM »
Compare this to Todd Akin's comments; not about "legitimate rape," but the idea that rape victims are especially resistant to conception. Which is a worse example of stupidity?

Akin was talking about the process of sperm fertilizing eggs (or not) - a complex subject that most people know little about, and which happens at a microscopic level.

DeGette was talking about how ammunition is fed into semi-automatic firearms - a fairly straight-forward process, and something commonly portrayed in action movies, and (presumably) outdoor-sports-themed cable TV channels.

Akin received his information from a medical doctor, who said that the trauma suffered during violent rape could affect the reproductive system - a not entirely unbelievable hypothesis to a layman like Akin.

DeGette had obviously not consulted anyone for the basic facts about what a firearm magazine is, or how it works. No one with even a superficial, layman's knowledge of semi-automatic firearms would have presented such an obviously incorrect point of view.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 09:07:25 AM »
Apparently, a spokesperson for DeGette just doubled down on the stupid.  Current explanation is that of course DeGette knows that magazines are reusable, since she's been studying up on them, and hating on them for years.. It was the clips that are gonna have to be thrown away after use, since we all know know how much eviller they are, and we alllllllll know they can't be re-used.

You know, if the pathetic ignorance on display weren't so despicable, this would almost be funny.  Kinda like Keystone Kongress.

Get a clue, you idiot.  Oh, psssst... Clips hold 10 rounds or fewer, sweetie.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 09:14:54 AM »
But at least the knowledge that clips and magazines are two different things is starting to get out there. Baby steps.  :lol:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »
The spokesperson probably had to look up "clips" and "magazines" on Wiki.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 01:25:15 PM »
No honest man needs a magazine with more than ten pages  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »

Her ignorance didn't stop her for voting on a gun bill though.  No, she probably used emotion rather than actual knowledge to make a "informed" decision on how to vote.  Bad laws get passed because we elect bad people to office.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »

No honest man needs a magazine with more than ten pages  =D

I'm wondering if I should register my collection of NRA Rifleman mags based on the new law in CT.  They are loaded with lots of bullets and evil black rifles and other banned items.  :angel:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 06:46:46 PM »
I'm wondering if I should register my collection of NRA Rifleman mags based on the new law in CT.  They are loaded with lots of bullets and evil black rifles and other banned items.  :angel:

If you've already read them, they should no longer pose a threat.