Author Topic: What to put on my 10/22...  (Read 6752 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: What to put on my 10/22...
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 03:21:01 PM »
Regolith, have you looked at a j-point?  Although, I bet they are more than $100.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 01:48:28 AM »
Regolith, have you looked at a j-point?  Although, I bet they are more than $100.

Hadn't seen those before, but they cost more than my rifle.   :O

Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money to spend on sights. 

After thinking about it for a while, I'm starting to lean more towards getting the XS ghost rings, though.  They may cost twice as much as the Williams peep sights, but they look like they'll be easier to adjust...

Neither of them are in stock until the end of the month anyway, so I guess I've got a week or so to make my decision. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 02:05:46 PM »
Hmmmm...

What to put on a Ruger? ???

Let's see.  :|

Place ruger on solid ground.
Put 50 lb. rock on it by dropping the rock from about 10' up.  :O
As scrap metal the Ruger has now increased in value.

HEY! Someone had to say it.

<shrugs> I am Not kidding...

NOTE: My attitude has nothing to do with Bill Ruger and his politics. He made a pragmatic and for the times wise decision. IMO Rugers are crap, poorly spec'd and over engineered to compensate for the incompetence of it's designers. The only good thing I can say about their guns is they are relatively speaking, inexpensive - oh what the heck - cheap. Unfortunately when it comes to firearms they are one of the very few categories of product where one actually does get what one pays for.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:13:21 PM by Werewolf »
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 06:32:31 PM »
Hmmmm...

What to put on a Ruger? ???

Let's see.  :|

Place ruger on solid ground.
Put 50 lb. rock on it by dropping the rock from about 10' up.  :O
As scrap metal the Ruger has now increased in value.

We're talking about the 10/22....not the Mini-14....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 10:06:13 PM »
We're talking about the 10/22....not the Mini-14....  ;/

Hmmm...

I will give you that...  :lol:
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 11:14:24 PM »
Thebest thing to put on any new firearm is the patina of steady usage. Pistol grip and forearm polished from hours of handling. The bore polished to a fine mirror finish form thousands of rounds down range and careful cleaning. And the overall finish ever so slightly sun faded from thousands of hours in the great outdoors.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 01:54:28 AM »
IMO Rugers are crap, poorly spec'd and over engineered to compensate for the incompetence of it's designers. The only good thing I can say about their guns is they are relatively speaking, inexpensive - oh what the heck - cheap. Unfortunately when it comes to firearms they are one of the very few categories of product where one actually does get what one pays for.

Yeah, sure, ok.

Whatever you say.

My Ruger #1S has been nothing but a delight to me, as has my 10/22.

I learned my lesson with my Mini-14 and Mini-30, but broad brush stroke generalizations are exactly that, and worth their face value. 

I am more than willing to let anybody shoot and handle either the Ruger #1 or 10/22 and then tell me to my face what a cheap, poorly-made piece of crap they are...   :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 01:46:26 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 09:15:39 AM »
I personally prefer the double action stroke of a Ruger revolver over a S&W.  Something about the geometry of the trigger stroke suits my hands better.  Yes, they're generally rougher out of the box, but plenty of shooting or some gentle cleanup via stoning and proper lubrication will make them a dream to shoot.  My GP100 has the best DA of any revolver I've shot or handled, my Redhawk isn't far behind (a bit heavier pull). 

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 09:55:21 AM »
I personally prefer the double action stroke of a Ruger revolver over a S&W.  Something about the geometry of the trigger stroke suits my hands better.  Yes, they're generally rougher out of the box, but plenty of shooting or some gentle cleanup via stoning and proper lubrication will make them a dream to shoot.  My GP100 has the best DA of any revolver I've shot or handled, my Redhawk isn't far behind (a bit heavier pull). 

Chris

When I got my model 66 all my GP-100 does is sit there and collect dust. I thought my Ruger had a good trigger but wow that Smith is freaking awesome It had work done by the previous owner so it really isn't a fair comparison. Maybe I need to sell my GP-100?

That being said, I'd love to have a Ruger #1 also, not sure what caliber. I also love my bare stock 10/22, I can hit quarter sized groups all day at 25 yards off hand with open sights.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
When I got my model 66 all my GP-100 does is sit there and collect dust. I thought my Ruger had a good trigger but wow that Smith is freaking awesome It had work done by the previous owner so it really isn't a fair comparison. Maybe I need to sell my GP-100?

I own a mix of Smiths and Rugers (3 each at the moment) and I've handled or shot many others.  The Ruger DAs have a long DA trigger stroke that "breaks" at the right moment for me.  S&Ws are shorter and break too early in the stroke.  Years ago, I cleaned up my GP100 and put lighter springs in it (still reliable with all ammo).  The trigger feels more like a roller mechanism than one of sliding, rubbing parts.  No doubt a S&W trigger can be just as light and smooth, but none of the ones I've fired have the internal geometry that seems to fit my trigger finger.  Based on what I've read, I suspect a "long action" S&W would be what I'd like, but I don't own any of those.

I only have 3 reasons to buy a S&W over Ruger: They're generally lighter, they are "prettier", and they tend to be available in more calibers.

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »
Politics aside (and since Ole Billy died I have to admit Ruger has turned around) I'd love a 10/22, and if they come out with a lightweight snubbie that doesn't look like it's from Tyco I'd be all over it. And heck, it's not like Smith has a great political track record either. #1's are gorgeous, and although I may never own one I surely do admire their clean lines.

I keep hoping Ruger will introduce a SxS rifle with screw barrel regulation like the... Baikal, I believe? One of those Russian companies. Short, light 45-70 with a rail to mount an Aimpoint or Eotech on would be my dream brush gun.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
If we're wishing for new Rugers, I'd like to see a 22lr GP100 without an underlug on the barrel and a Redhawk with the gripstud of the SRH or GP100.  I love my Redhawk, but that huge gripframe makes it nearly impossible to get grips that fit my hand (other than the factory grips or high end custom grips).  A 5-shot 44special GP100 and alloy, +P (or magnum) rated 3" SP101 would also be nice.

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 12:31:31 PM »
Mmmm, 5 shot alloy GP100..... Now that's hot. :) I wish 296's weren't so expensive.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2009, 12:39:10 PM »
Mmmm, 5 shot alloy GP100..... Now that's hot. :) I wish 296's weren't so expensive.

No, I wouldn't want it in alloy, the alloy was for the SP101. 

A GP100 sized gun loaded with 240gr SWC@1000fps would be a sweet fishing/camping/hiking gun for the Southeastern US.  I have a load like that for my Redhawk, but it's a bit pudgy.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »
If we're wishing for new Rugers, I'd like to see a 22lr GP100 without an underlug on the barrel and a Redhawk with the gripstud of the SRH or GP100.  I love my Redhawk, but that huge gripframe makes it nearly impossible to get grips that fit my hand (other than the factory grips or high end custom grips).  A 5-shot 44special GP100 and alloy, +P (or magnum) rated 3" SP101 would also be nice.

Chris

I want to see a 10/22 based 7.62x39.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2009, 06:07:08 PM »
G98: If you post any more pics of that sweet #1, I'm going to need to drool-proof my keyboard....  =D

No, I wouldn't want it in alloy, the alloy was for the SP101. 

A GP100 sized gun loaded with 240gr SWC@1000fps would be a sweet fishing/camping/hiking gun for the Southeastern US.  I have a load like that for my Redhawk, but it's a bit pudgy.

Count me in for both....I'd love to see a SP101 in the same alloy they do the P-series pistols in...shouldn't be too hard for Ruger to do...and a 5-shot GP100 in .44SPL or .41Mag would make a great woodsgun...or CCW....

Heck, I'd also like to see Ruger do an 8-rd. Redhawk in .357 with a 96 lever-action companion....detachable rotary Magnum mags on a levergun would be the bees' knees for HD....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2009, 01:58:04 AM »
I think my next Ruger purchase will be a New Vaquero conversion in .44 Special, which I will fit with either elk or stag grips. 

I've had a serious jones going for one of them, and since the New Vaquero is closer in size to the original Colt SAA, it's time I got one. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2009, 09:23:25 PM »

If you want a good iron sight, I suggest that you look at an aperture (peep) sight. If you can find one that mounts to the scope rail, then you can easily exchange the peep for an optic when the circumstances demand higher precision.

I recommend Tech-Sights.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2009, 11:14:38 PM »

What to put on your Ruger 10/22?

This:

Then you can nickname the rifle Kolchak: The Night Stalker

And buy it a little straw hat and some press credentials.
I promise not to duck.