Author Topic: What to do or see in San Jose, CA?  (Read 1010 times)

esheato

• friend
What to do or see in San Jose, CA?
« on: May 04, 2006, 05:06:35 PM »
My girlfriend and I are heading to San Jose area to attend this weekends THR Bay Area shoot. As a bonus we've decided to spend the weekend there (as it's a 3+ hour drive to get there).  The shoot is on Sunday, so we're looking for some cool things to do or see on Saturday. We're already planning a trip to the Winchester Mystery House, so that is out.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Ed

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 06:03:00 PM »
Lick Observatory, on Mount Hamilton.
The Tech Museum, in downtown San Jose.
The Rosicrucian Museum, in downtown San Jose.

I'm already running out of ideas.  Either this is a boring town, or I'm boring.  Probably the latter.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 07:54:29 PM »
uhh drive up to san francisco
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 08:10:15 PM »
Well, OK, if San Francisco is within the distance range, there's Fisherman's Wharf in SF, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Seventeen Mile Drive, the Mormon Temple visitor's center in Oakland, various beaches and points all along the coast, Coyote Hill in Fremont, the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, the Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos, there is (or was) a steam train running through the Santa Cruz Mountains, the Stanford Museum (the Golden Spike of Transcontinental Railroad fame is there, along with a bunch of Rodin sculpture and other good stuff), and the various missions in San Jose, Santa Clara, and Carmel.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 08:14:02 PM »
Try to get tickets to the San Jose/Edmonton hockey game.  Should be a good matchup, to see if Edmonton's defense can shut down San Jose's league leading scorers, like they did to Detroit.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

esheato

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 09:06:00 PM »
M1911..I'll look into those, thanks.

Winston, neither of us like SF and we would prefer to leave those loonies alone (no offense intended)

Hockey? They still play that in America?

After further discussion with the G/F, we're  thinking of heading further south on Saturday and taking in Monterey. Hitting up the aquarium and doing a big of walking and lounging on the beach down there.

Ed

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 09:06:58 PM »
Winston, neither of us like SF and we would prefer to leave those loonies alone (no offense intended)
Hahah yeah. Same.

But I live here. :-(
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 09:28:34 PM »
That's a nice area to visit.  Down the beach from the aquarium is Lovers' Point, which is quite pretty.  Kind of across the street from there is the Seven Gables Inn, probably the most romantic place you and G/F will ever stay.  (Say "HI!" to Susie (the owner) for me! (Not that she'll have a clue who "M1911Owner" is.))  Carmel is wonderful for walking around and looking at the cute buildings, and cruising through the galleries.  (And I think you can get an ice cream cone there these days, since Clint Eastwood was elected mayor and got the "Use an ice cream cone, go to jail" law rescinded.)

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 11:03:18 PM »
Hockey? They still play that in America?
Hey now, it might be the Canuck's game, but it would be about as popular as lacrosse if it wern't for the Americans.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 04:38:37 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think Monterey has our vote.

jefnvk..I'm sure hockey has it's pros, it's just that neither of us are big sports fans.

Ed

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 04:57:30 AM »
Ah, understandable.  Everyone has their own entertainment, and you wouldn't be the firs I've known to not like hockey.