Author Topic: No longer sleeping with the fishes!!  (Read 2217 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
No longer sleeping with the fishes!!
« on: May 02, 2022, 09:13:18 PM »
I along with others believe this is just one of many barrels that will be uncovered as the drought continues to drop the level of Lake Mead.

With all of the building going on in the desert I am surprised they don't uncover more remains than they do out there also.

https://www.8newsnow.com/i-team/i-team-body-found-in-barrel-in-lake-mead-may-date-back-to-1980s-more-likely-to-appear-as-water-recedes-las-vegas-police-say/

Before you know it a B29 may pop up out of there!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Lake_Mead_Boeing_B-29_crash

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: No longer sleeping with the fishes!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 09:38:32 PM »
I along with others believe this is just one of many barrels that will be uncovered as the drought continues to drop the level of Lake Mead.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 09:40:46 PM »
I kinda want to go dive that.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 11:48:34 PM »
If Lake Michigan's level ever goes down, just think of all the cement overshoes they'll find near the Chicago shore dating back to the 1930s . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 01:04:20 AM »
If Lake Michigan's level ever goes down, just think of all the cement overshoes they'll find near the Chicago shore dating back to the 1930s . . .

Most you’d recover would be maybe remnants of footwear and some foot bones.  If even that much.  The body in the barrel was more or less intact because the barrel protected it for a long time and kept it pretty well together even when the steel started rusting away.  With concrete shoes once the ligaments holding the knee together had rotted (or been eaten) the rest of the body would just drift away.  The ankle would last longer just because the concrete would protect it initially.  But once that rotted away the rest of the legs would drift off too.
Formerly sumpnz

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 01:08:17 AM »
You gotta punch some holes in the barrel, but also add in some cement. Don't ask me how I know.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 10:02:08 AM »
 My recollection is that there's still a body somewhere in Denver's Chatfield Reservoir.  This, IIRC, was a result of conversion of the ground from a cemetery to a State Park reservoir.  They moved all the bodies, but they could not locate the grave of one woman who was known to be buried there.

I read read recently that formerly-submerged automobiles keep turning up in lakes and the like where water levels have gone down.  The one that tickles my memory was in a rock quarry somewhere.

I expect a lot of guns and NFA items have turned up, but that doesn't make the same "if it bleeds, it leads" type of headline that finding a corpse does.

I'm suspecting, but do not know,- that a lot of times organic material that disappears is due to the solvent action of the water and not plain old decomposition.

Water is, after all, the old alchemists' "universal solvent."

Anyone know for sure?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 10:36:02 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 10:48:04 AM »
Some years ago during a Central Texas drought, the level of Lake Travis (near Austin) dropped quite a bit, uncovering some interesting things that had been long-hidden beneath the waters. Among these were old Indian campsites, which attracted a lot of folks hunting for things like arrowheads, spearpoints, and stone tools. The news media (both broadcast and print) were breathlessly reporting that people were "destroying history" by picking up these things, and needed to turn them over to some historians . . . so what was formerly underwater (where nobody could see them) could be filed away in a drawer someplace (where almost nobody would see them.)

These stories of course prompted even more people to go arrowhead hunting. Next drought came along and . . . no media mentions of old Indian campsites being revealed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 10:56:21 AM »
https://www.amestrib.com/story/news/local/2012/07/26/car-remains-pulled-out-little/27320149007/

Car with a body found in it in Iowa, I remember this story from a few years ago. Guy was missing for 7 years.

Also if I can find the story but a body of a missing person was found in a car in a drainage ditch that was there for decades in NW Iowa.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 11:02:55 AM »
I've seen numerous articles over the past few years about bodies being found in cars. One I remember was a guy and his girlfriend who disappeared in the late 1960s or early 1970s.

Here's one from Nova Scotia... Woman disappeared in 1999, her car/body was found a few weeks ago: https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/gazette/diver-discovery-solves-decades-old-disappearance-nova-scotia-woman?h

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 11:36:54 AM »
The "What on Earth?" show in Discovery had a story like that.  Someone noticed a car in the water in one of those dark ponds near an apartment building.  It was just deep enough not to be seen from the shore.  Turned out the driver was a man who disappeared a few years earlier.  He was driving home from the bar and ran off into the water.  No one saw or noticed any tire tracks heading into the water. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 11:55:46 AM »
Here's one I was remember, too...

Two cars, 6 sets of remains, 3 feet apart, 40 years missing...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/cars-skeletal-remains-found-feet-bottom-oklahoma-lake/story?id=20293329
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 01:49:44 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 02:07:08 PM »
I'm curious what is going to happen when Lake Mead or Lake Powell drop enough that they aren't viable reservoirs for water.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 03:44:29 PM »
I'm curious what is going to happen when Lake Mead or Lake Powell drop enough that they aren't viable reservoirs for water.

Las Vegas gets all their power from the Hoover Dam.  What's going to happen to Vegas when they have to start cutting back on electrical consumption?

edited for speelng
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 04:00:31 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2022, 03:54:48 PM »
Here's one I was remember, too...

Two cars, 6 sets of remains, 3 feet apart, 40 years missing...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/cars-skeletal-remains-found-feet-bottom-oklahoma-lake/story?id=20293329

I was gonna mention that one.
Lots of old, deep coal strip mines around here. Some of them have 50-60' of water in them. Several years ago a fellow came forward and confessed to killing a guy and dumping his body and car in a coal pit some 20 or so years prior. His conscience got the better of him.
I have no doubt there are more.
There was a big push to "reclaim" these old abandoned mines a couple of decades ago. They'd start at one end and basically bulldoze the tailings piles in and fill them in I'd bet there are more than a few missing persons that will never be found.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2022, 03:55:17 PM »
Las Vegas gets all their power from he Hoover Dam.  What's going to happen to Vegas when they have to start cutting back on electrical consumption?

Need more windmills.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2022, 04:37:49 PM »
Need more windmills.

... and solar panels.  They get lots of sunshine out there in the desert.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2022, 07:33:57 PM »

Plenty there already, along with the solar concentrator thingy.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2022, 07:43:17 PM »
HankB:

"...and needed to turn them over to some historians . . . so what was formerly underwater (where nobody could see them) could be filed away in a drawer someplace (where almost nobody would see them.)

Hilarious !

Rocket Man

"Las Vegas gets all their power from the Hoover Dam.  What's going to happen to Vegas when they have to start cutting back on electrical consumption?"

Mechanical slot machines and cash only?

Surveillance by little old ladies hanging around instead of overhead cameras?

People in bathing suits since no A/C? (Corollary? Nekkid showgirls?)

Getting water to upper floors by bucket and rope?

(I can't understand the "all their power from the Hoover Dam" thing.  Are they totally isolated from the U.S. Grid?)

Dream on. Tops, about 700 watts per square meter at 100% efficiency and low latitudes and daytime only.

And doesn't anyone think of the impact of all that shaded ground under the collectors (or mirrors)?  A lot of heat would be transported away to other locales. Might be a good thing but my inner nature tells me probably not.
 >:D

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 08:31:22 PM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2022, 07:53:03 PM »
Las Vegas gets all their power from the Hoover Dam.  What's going to happen to Vegas when they have to start cutting back on electrical consumption?

Pig *expletive deleted*it
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2022, 07:57:57 PM »

Trust me, you are pretty far behind the curve thinking that. We are fighting the use of 30,000 acres of our desert (BLM land) for solar farms right now. There are 5 farms under consideration.

https://blmsolar.anl.gov/sez/nv/news/

Bastads.

bob

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2022, 08:01:55 PM »
I was gonna mention that one.
Lots of old, deep coal strip mines around here. Some of them have 50-60' of water in them. Several years ago a fellow came forward and confessed to killing a guy and dumping his body and car in a coal pit some 20 or so years prior. His conscience got the better of him.
I have no doubt there are more.
There was a big push to "reclaim" these old abandoned mines a couple of decades ago. They'd start at one end and basically bulldoze the tailings piles in and fill them in I'd bet there are more than a few missing persons that will never be found.

The KC mafia used to come down to the strip pits in this area to get rid of the bodies. The big one I remember, instead of dropping in a pit they parked a D9 on top of him.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2022, 08:18:05 PM »
This just popped up in my YT feed and it's kind of related to the above

Vaporizing chicken in acid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTVd_WxblGI

In the comments

" This is great info! How much would someone need for a chicken that's roughly 180lbs? "
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2022, 08:38:45 PM »