Author Topic: Today's lesson, kids ...  (Read 3150 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Today's lesson, kids ...
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 07:27:19 AM »
^
After years of stuff getting behind my "safety glass" glasses, sometimes with some really close calls, I decided goggles are the way to go, and not just at the range.

Terry said that. He's a slow learner.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 07:54:21 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »
Women aren't the only ones vulnerable to hot brass. I was involved in some cropping in Zimbabwe and while shooting impala at night over the front of the landcruiser, I worked the bolt and ejected a spent .30/06 shell which went right down my PH's collar. (he was driving)

He wasn't happy . . . although the boys in the back were mightily amused.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »
I took a defensive handgun class a while ago.  There was also a married couple in the class.  He was much taller than she.  During the shooting portions of the class, we would be standing in a line firing at our individual targets, and her brass would fly up into her husband's face.  By the end of the class he had quite a few powder streaks on his face.  I'm not sure why he didn't move to the other side of her or something . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2020, 12:33:50 PM »
I have several scars from hot rifle brass getting stuck against my skin.  It was all 5.56mm.  The pistol brass doesn't bother me too much; it cools down pretty quickly.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2020, 12:40:26 PM »
I am told that autoloader brass is hotter than manually-ejected brass.

Apparently the few seconds between firing and ejection allows heat to be transferred to the chamber with manual ejection.  With autoloaders, there's no time for this and the brass is as hot as at the instant of firing.

I never tested that.  Any comments?

Terry, 230RN

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2020, 02:18:49 PM »
And if you get some brass down your shirt from unloading a revolver you probably shouldn't be handling guns.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2020, 05:07:36 PM »
^ True, true.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2020, 05:18:09 PM »
^
After years of stuff getting behind my "safety glass" glasses, sometimes with some really close calls, I decided goggles are the way to go, and not just at the range.

Terry said that. He's a slow learner.

Do you look like this?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2020, 07:52:46 AM »

Apparently the few seconds between firing and ejection allows heat to be transferred to the chamber with manual ejection.  With autoloaders, there's no time for this and the brass is as hot as at the instant of firing.

Terry, 230RN

I would say that that is very true based on my experience with both autoloaders and revolvers.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2020, 09:15:44 AM »

Terry, 230RN
That is my experience as well. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2020, 09:18:08 AM »
One of the problems that's hindered the adoption of plastic case ammo is the fact that metal casings carry away some of the chamber heat upon ejection, plastic casings not so much. Becomes a rather larger issue in full autos.
At least that's what I've read, not done the math.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »
One of the problems that's hindered the adoption of plastic case ammo is the fact that metal casings carry away some of the chamber heat upon ejection, plastic casings not so much. Becomes a rather larger issue in full autos.
Makes me wonder if they could come up with a coating that would sublimate to gas under heat.  I guess it would be hard to find something that would be stable under all possible storage conditions and not be corrosive or toxic.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2020, 05:19:54 PM »

Sounds very logical, and someone's point about pistol casings seems valid.  The time I got a shell on the back of my neck it was a nice big heavy hot .30-06 case out of the next guy's Garand in the prone stage.  My shooting jacket prevented it from wandering around too much and I just scooped it away with my trigger hand, but for that two seconds it was hell.  My first high-power match, and when I arrived, I kinda wondered how come so many were wearing campaign hats.  I had nothing but a billed cap.  At the time I was still "corporate" and hadn't grown a pony tail.

One of the few times I learned a little faster than usual.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 05:35:41 PM by 230RN »