Author Topic: The little Guys are Going Under  (Read 6973 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
The little Guys are Going Under
« on: February 23, 2009, 07:13:12 PM »
From today's Craigs List for NoVa:

Have to sell it all - $10000 (Nova, DC, MD)
Reply to: sale-1046511020@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-02-23, 6:52AM EST

16' trailer to sell which is full of tools. Great for someone who is starting a new business or expanding an existing business. Have a variety of tools to sell. 7 framing guns, 4 trim guns, 6 circular saws 3 table saws, 3 recipricating saws, 3 compressors, you name it and most likely, I have it. Trailer was bought 2 yrs ago brand new and is in great shape with a ladder rack. You can reach me at 703-298-9493. Thanks

Ads like this tell me another owner-operated contractor is changing his life and trying to salvage a considerable investment. Sad.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: The little Guys are Going Under
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »
Several other possibilities:

A run-in with law enforcement
A divorce
A bad business model
etc
etc

It's an ad for a trailer full of tools.  The circumstances surrounding the sale could be anything.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 07:53:11 PM »
they are going under right and left  you can pick up real deals if you have cash. saw a 2005 bobcat with bucket for 5 k the other day 
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »
Ma and Pa operations are closing up here too.  Huge drop in seasonal visitors and part time residents is choking off the pipeline for many small business owners.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:19:23 PM »
I'd say a contractor's trailer.

A local roofing company went Tango Uniform a week or so ago, and held an auction of the assets.

Welcome to 2009.  Pray that you survive.   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:40:29 PM »
Welcome to 2009.  Pray that you survive. 

I'm rather curious where all the (literal) hungry/out of work/homeless folks will go. That's going to be... interesting.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 08:43:51 PM »
On welfare would be my guess PTK.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 09:01:11 PM »
Whew,

I thought you meant these Little Guys......

http://www.thelittleguys.com/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:01:38 PM »
Don't worry, when Directive 10-289 comes out, that will fix everything.  :rolleyes:

In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 09:17:28 PM »
I have a buddy who owns a small painting business employing a dozen guys painting everything from houses to industrial structures. He's probably going to have to close his business soon...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 09:19:59 PM »
Remember. Small business entrepreneurs are bad. They aren't working for someone, preferably government, and sharing their wealth with those who do not want to work.

This is making me angrier every day. This is deliberate.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »
It really is happening. The auction papers in OH are getting more and more liquidation auctions. Going to them is a great opportunity to get random useful stuff for around the farm for pennies on the dollar, if you have the cash flow yourself. Buckets of bolts for a dollar, shelving, machining equipment, cranes, and random industrial stuff. It's a great opportunity for those looking for cheap stuff who couldn't afford it any other way, but it's a bit sad when you see the whole box of Nextel phones that likely represents one out-of-work person each.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 11:08:21 PM »
Remember. Small business entrepreneurs are bad. They aren't working for someone, preferably government, and sharing their wealth with those who do not want to work.

This is making me angrier every day. This is deliberate.

yea?  well it didn't magically happen since november. this has been building for a couple years.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:18:50 AM »
Yup, pretty much since the democrats tossed the incumbent republicans out of office...

IMHO, a lot of the construction guys are having problems because they saw the boom, and thought it would continue forever. They didn't see it as a spike, or a bubble, but as an ever-ascending line... They moved out of their 3BR/1BA house with the carport, and bought MiniMcMansions... Now they're not building as much, and they're not going to "stoop" to doing rehabs or remodels - they still think the fast easy money of new construction is out there. Well, it is, but not to the extent that it'll keep them busy.

Blog under construction

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 01:38:11 AM »
I'd say a contractor's trailer.

A local roofing company went Tango Uniform a week or so ago, and held an auction of the assets.

Welcome to 2009.  Pray that you survive.   =|

Sometimes working for the Devil that is Wal-Mart has it's good sides.
Look, tiny text!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 09:51:15 AM »
Sometimes working for the Devil that is Wal-Mart has it's good sides.

If I was to become unemployed one of the first places I would put in an applicaiton is at a nearby Wal-mart distribution center. Decent pay for basically unskilled worker (starts around $16 or so an hour) and would hold me over till I got something better.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 10:15:24 AM »
Yup, pretty much since the democrats tossed the incumbent republicans out of office...

Not to derail but I'd assume this financial crisis has nothing to do with the billions upon billions we spent in Iraq? The billions that went to no bid contracts with Halliburton, Kellog, Brown & Root. The billions in cash that was lost in Iraq that was supposed to be handed out to the Iraqi people?

I'm sorry but please dont think things arn't interrelated, everything is connected in todays world. Dont try and blame this entire financial crisis on Democrats that took over majority of Congress after Republicans had the majority and Bush was in power for 6 years.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 10:18:25 AM »
Not to derail but I'd assume this financial crisis has nothing to do with the billions upon billions we spent in Iraq? The billions that went to no bid contracts with Halliburton, Kellog, Brown & Root. The billions in cash that was lost in Iraq that was supposed to be handed out to the Iraqi people?

You're right. It has nothing to do with that.

In comparison of amounts of money spent, you are also very bad at math!

You want a bad guy to point a finger at, point at Barney Frank.

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »

I guess ignorance is bliss.   :rolleyes:

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 10:38:34 AM »
I guess ignorance is bliss.   :rolleyes:

You must be a very happy person!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 10:42:13 AM »
Little guys have always been going under. It's just happening at a faster clip now.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »
Little guys have always been going under. It's just happening at a faster clip now.

Its part of the market. Companies that become unprofitable now have assets that are of more value than the total value of the firm.

In an economic downturn, this occurs more often. As a result, other companies that are more profitable can buy up these assets:

Tobin's 'q' theory 

Economics theory of investment behavior where 'q' represents the ratio of the market value of a firm's existing shares (share capital) to the replacement cost of the firm's physical assets (thus, replacement cost of the share capital). It states that if q (representing equilibrium) is greater than one (q > 1), additional investment in the firm would make sense because the profits generated would exceed the cost of firm's assets. If q is less than one (q < 1), the firm would be better off selling its assets instead of trying to put them to use. The ideal state is where q is approximately equal to one denoting that the firm is in equilibrium. Also called general equilibrium theory or 'q' theory, it was proposed by the US Nobel laureate economist James Tobin (1918-).

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/Tobin-s-q-theory.html

The explanation is that as companies have a q that is less than one, they have more assets than the value of the company. In an economic downturn, more companies now have a q of less than 1.

There's your economic lesson for the day.

IF THE ECONOMY IS ALLOWED TO WORK NORMALLY, we will have creative destruction: current assets will be sold off and picked up by other firms. Employees and owners will find something else where they are more highly valued.

It sucks for those in that position, but without it, we'd still be driving  horses and buggies. (or steam cars, or model T's, or....)

However, what will happen right now, I cannot say because the rules keep changing. (Which is why Wall Street is rather skittish)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 10:52:08 AM »
Seenterman/Maned Wolf...

Keep the snark to a minimum.

Seenterman, if you have any concrete evidence that the American incursion into Iraq is either responsible for, or contributing to, the current fiscal problems, bring it forward.

Supposition is NOT proof.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 10:54:10 AM »
It sucks for those in that position, but without it, we'd still be driving  horses and buggies. (or steam cars, or model T's, or....)

You say that as though it would be a bad thing.  I dream of those days. :laugh:

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
Seenterman, if you have any concrete evidence that the American incursion into Iraq is either responsible for, or contributing to, the current fiscal problems, bring it forward.

Supposition is NOT proof.

Just like the abundance of evidence that the democrats are to blame for the financial crisis, after being in power for what? About 3 years?