Author Topic: The Last Ship  (Read 2118 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
The Last Ship
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
Okay, I'm liking this show so far.  We'll see how long till they jump the shark, but I've been on an all things TEOTWAWKI kick lately.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: The Last Ship
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:41:11 AM »
It seems like a pretty good show so far (have some on my DVR I haven't watched yet). Some minor inconsistencies but not deal breakers. Such as the ship having a UH-60 as opposed to an SH-60, and no hangar bay for said whirlybird.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 12:34:42 PM »
I've come to terms with the inevitability of certain limitations from shows on even the most detail-oriented cable networks. That said, it's been better than I expected. The ending of the last episode was pretty poignant.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »
The first flight of Arleigh Burke destroyers did not have helicopter hangers. Only with flight IIA, from the 29th hull onwards, was a helicopter hanger added.

On occasion at Naval Station Everett, you can see a couple of Burke destroyers moored on opposite sides of the pier, and you can really see the difference between the older and newer models.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
I need to add this show to my list. Jayne's in it, isn't he?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 12:49:16 PM »

Yes.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »

Ships XO.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »
Not as much action in the last episode.  Seems they're trying to build some extra drama in it.
JD

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:58:01 AM »
Why they gotta add in all the extra drama to shows? All we really want to see is hot wimmins in skimpy outfits and *expletive deleted*it getting blowed up.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
Why they gotta add in all the extra drama to shows? All we really want to see is hot wimmins in skimpy outfits and *expletive deleted* getting blowed up.

Hit as many demographics as you can. Duh.
JD

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 10:49:07 AM »
Hit as many demographics as you can. Duh.

Bingdingo.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »

Worth watching?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »
Worth watching?

Yes, as pure escapist entertainment, but with all the expected caveats and disclaimers related to your blood pressure and technical weaknesses/omissions in such programming.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
Yep - definitely turn your brain off, but it is entertaining.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 10:26:31 PM »
Yep - definitely turn your brain off, but it is entertaining.

My television has a SPDT power switch -- turn on the telly and the brain automatically powers down.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »
Okay, last episode of the short 10 episode season was very good.  They better not cancel it, as it was left completely empty at the end.   [ar15]
JD

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 09:39:59 PM »
Too hokey for a real sailor. Watched the first episode but turned it off during the second.  :P
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »
Too hokey for a real sailor. Watched the first episode but turned it off during the second.  :P

Oh I agree with that part.  I'm hooked on SHTf end of the world fiction right now, so it plays right into what I've been reading and watching.
JD

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 11:15:53 AM »
Okay, last episode of the short 10 episode season was very good.  They better not cancel it, as it was left completely empty at the end.   [ar15]
Last episode is supposed to be on tonight. You got to see it early?  ???
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 11:39:36 AM »
Last episode is supposed to be on onight. You got to see it early?  ???

I think so. I watched episode 10 on Xbox.

AAAAhhhhhh looks like I was an episode behind somehow.  Episode 11 is the last one. 

JD

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 11:52:50 AM »

This.

I tried to watch it,  but even with Adam Baldwin I couldn't. I'm glad it's entertaining you though,  it had potential as long as you have never been on a military vessel.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 01:31:26 PM »
This.

I tried to watch it,  but even with Adam Baldwin I couldn't. I'm glad it's entertaining you though,  it had potential as long as you have never been on a military vessel.

I've given up on real accuracy, especially in military thrillers, a long time ago. 
JD

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 01:35:33 PM »
I've given up on real accuracy, especially in any fictional military thrillers shows, a long time ago. 

FTFY

bob

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »
^^This. If you have an above average level of knowledge in any particular area, you'll notice the lack of realism/accuracy in that area when portrayed in fiction, and even in the news. I've had to learn to just shut those parts of my brain off (where possible) when watching TV or movies if I want to enjoy it.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 02:57:36 PM »
I've given up on real accuracy, especially in military thrillers, a long time ago. 

Me too.  Which is why I am glad it's entertaining you.

I just have a line where suspension of disbelief becomes too hard and distracts from my enjoyment.  That line moves depending on how much I know the subject matter.  Space travel I know a little about, so I can watch space fiction easily.  Sailing and the military are something I do know pretty well, so the faults get distracting earlier.

Not to say it's a bad show (or rather more inaccurate than any other) just that it's inaccuracies happen to hit my buttons.

So: tried to watch, but couldn't.