Author Topic: The Legal Use of Zip Ties  (Read 1686 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Legal Use of Zip Ties
« on: January 13, 2021, 02:39:28 PM »
Holy crap these people are stupid and sheltered.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/01/13/ratio-alert-nyt-journo-shocked-to-discover-that-regular-humans-use-zip-ties-for-legal-purposes/

Oh, and my favorite comment:

I bet that everyone who writes for the New York Times has a tool box that only consists of a eyeglass screwdriver and 3 leftover Allen wrenches from IKEA
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
Re: The Legal Use of Zip Ties
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 02:44:59 PM »
So the reporter was referring to the flex cuffs that one capitol rioter was carrying, right?  And they weren't aware that zip ties is a generic term for a product with much broader uses?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 02:50:34 PM »
So the reporter was referring to the flex cuffs that one capitol rioter was carrying, right?  And they weren't aware that zip ties is a generic term for a product with much broader uses?

Yes, I believe so. To be fair, a lot of people don't know that flex cuffs are a different design, however I would figure that would be more along the lines of someone buying zip ties to use as cuffs. I've definitely read fiction books and watched shows where somebody said something along the lines of "toss me the zip ties" when talking about restraining someone.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 03:02:50 PM »
Regular Human Zip Ties are OK, it's the assault Zip Ties that should be outlawed.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 03:11:45 PM »
That's racist. you need these:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenitech-Multi-Purpose-Assorted-Colored-Pieces/dp/B07PML1MXR

But only Black Ties Matter
All Ties Matter is racist you racist B
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 03:38:31 PM »
How dense can someone be? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 03:43:46 PM »

About 1g/cc
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 04:32:25 PM »
Reminds me of the reporter that thought foam ear plugs were special rubber bullets of some kind.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/2014/08/17/huffington-post-reporter-in-ferguson-are-ear-plugs-rubber-bullets/
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 06:10:34 PM »

The left seems to take statements like that as a challenge.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 07:04:13 PM »
Regular Human Zip Ties are OK, it's the assault Zip Ties that should be outlawed.

But only when used in the commission of a felony.

Like body armor.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 05:00:27 AM »
So how many sets of purpose built, single use restraints do you guys normally keep on hand?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 08:52:37 AM »
So how many sets of purpose built, single use restraints do you guys normally keep on hand?

Asking because I haven't seen anything either way: Is there evidence that the guys at the WH had flex cuffs, or did they in fact have zip ties?

As far as how many I keep on hand, I'm running low, but at least the pastures are well-fertilized now.  =D

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 09:08:38 AM »
Asking because I haven't seen anything either way: Is there evidence that the guys at the WH had flex cuffs, or did they in fact have zip ties?

As far as how many I keep on hand, I'm running low, but at least the pastures are well-fertilized now.  =D
The pictures I saw were flex cuffs.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 09:21:30 AM »
Expect that there will be a move in some places to ban or restrict zip ties.

Don't laugh - some places have banned or restricted small ziplock bags and Erlenmeyer flasks because they can be used in the illegal drug trade. (I didn't know I was a sub-10 year old druggie when I got my first chemistry set.  :facepalm: )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 09:26:18 AM »
Expect that there will be a move in some places to ban or restrict zip ties.

Don't laugh - some places have banned or restricted small ziplock bags and Erlenmeyer flasks because they can be used in the illegal drug trade. (I didn't know I was a sub-10 year old druggie when I got my first chemistry set.  :facepalm: )

Some of you may remember McDonald's little coffee stir spoons

For those who don't

The McDonald's Cocaine Spoon Fiasco
https://priceonomics.com/the-mcdonalds-cocaine-spoon-fiasco/

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 09:38:28 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 10:23:38 AM »

That's why I asked.  Yeah the NYT lady that doesn't know what a zip tie is is dumb, but the media is calling restraints "zip ties".  Kinda hard to have reasonable conversations about things when the people don't even know what they are saying.

Those are flex cuffs.  In a free society you should be able to have whatever you want as long as you don't mess with other people, but the NYT editor is correct that there are pretty limited uses for flex cuffs outside restraining people.  (I'll give you one:  I've used them to hold a chain link fence gate closed after a dog figured out how to open it.)

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 10:30:44 AM »
Kinda hard to have reasonable conversations about things when the people don't even know what they are saying.

Welcome to congress where they make up and pass laws on things they have zero understanding of all day long.
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 10:48:57 AM »
Well, we call them Lawmakers and guess what?

Actually, I've found a pack of assorted size Bungee Cords to be much more useful.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 12:21:27 PM »
Welcome to congress where they make up and pass laws on things they have zero understanding of all day long.
Technically, they don't make up or write laws.  They each have a small army of staffers and assistants who throw together bits and pieces of laws written by lobbyists.  I wonder how many of them ever even read what they vote on even if they have it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 12:46:52 PM »

I keep two sets in my flight bag.  I probably have a few more around the house somewhere.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 02:35:09 PM »
I keep two sets in my flight bag.  I probably have a few more around the house somewhere.

Flight attendants are kinkier than I thought.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 02:41:30 PM »
Flight attendants are kinkier than I thought.

True.  The bad news is they are mostly gay men these days. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 03:03:14 PM »
True.  The bad news is they are mostly gay men these days. 
Not That There's Anything Wrong With That.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.