Author Topic: The last US black powder plant is closing  (Read 474 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The last US black powder plant is closing
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 04:37:06 PM »
Well that sucks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 04:53:14 PM »
I wonder who makes the black powder used in the non-composite Estes model rocket motors?  Will those be going away, too?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 05:33:38 PM »
A careful reading of the cessation statement easily leads one to believe they will go somewhere else where they can pay slave wages but charge more for their products.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 05:36:09 PM »
 :'(

I don't have any black powder firearms and it's always been a real treat for me to get to shoot one because I love them. The smell and the smoke is just so much fun.
This is truly depressing news.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 07:26:19 PM »
The Swiss stuff is better but since it's not made here can be hard to get. Holy Black is not hard to make at home it needed.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 07:33:00 PM »
The Swiss stuff is better but since it's not made here can be hard to get. Holy Black is not hard to make at home it needed.

I have the Swiss, and it's the bomb, but a concern would be import and anti-gunners.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 08:26:04 PM »
If I do another run of Project Tiger (golf ball mortar), would anyone be interested? Fuse-fired Coehorn... Makes a loud noise, and we're really not sure about how long a "drive" we managed. We think one went over the ridge...
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 09:02:15 PM »
I am sitting on(almost literally) 6 lbs. That should last me awhile. Last I got two years ago at an estate sale for $5/lb. Guy who bought all the reloading stuff right before me didn't want to deal with it. Local gun shows don't allow it in the building.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 03:26:48 PM »
I've been using Pyrodex for my RV85. Threw one of my PVC batons painted up to look like an HE grenade 200 yards at my friend's farm early last summer.

Is there anything that works better with real BP, or is it just authenticity? I do know different substitutes measure differently, some are weight equivalency and some are volume equivalent to BP. So there is that I guess.

I promise not to duck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 06:58:14 PM »
Is there anything that works better with real BP, or is it just authenticity? I do know different substitutes measure differently, some are weight equivalency and some are volume equivalent to BP. So there is that I guess.

BP works best in rocket recovery ejection charges.  Pyrodex can be used, but only in special recovery equipment that allows a pressure build to get a complete burn and gas development.  It's kind of a pain in the posterior and not as simple or reliable as BP.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.