Author Topic: The GI Bill and university billing schedules  (Read 817 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The GI Bill and university billing schedules
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:51:19 AM »
The Ooniversity wants one third of the fees the first month, then half the next, then the rest a month later. 

The GI Bill pays off AFTER the completion of each calender month, after I've verified my enrollment status on the first of the next month. 

So, I have to get a loan to pay my tuition, then pay it off with the gobermint monies I get later on, in monthly installments. 

Do other schools bill their students up front like that, or is my school just trying to be hard to work with?   ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: The GI Bill and university billing schedules
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:53:49 AM »
At my school it's either all the money up front or you go on a four month payment plan, which they charge you fifty bucks for the privilege of. I'm not sure if their policy is different if you're getting aid, since I'm paying for this all out of pocket.
Look, tiny text!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:59:50 AM »
When I was doing the GI Bill shuffle I registered, went to class and then paid up when I could. The worse they ever did was hold up my final grades till we were square. Just say "Yea, Yea, Yea,,," and pay them when you can.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:01:13 AM »
I dealt with the same thing except I had to pay everything up front. 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:34:53 AM »
See, I never went to admin, just registration. Just register and go. The admin office will start sending you letters soon enough. LOL...

Believe me, they are there for one thing and one thing only, to make money. They won't turn you away if there's the slightest chance of getting money from you. They'll put you on "Administrative Hold" and send you nastygrams about "where's our money" but as long as you pay up sooner or later they'll be happy. I did it the whole time from start to finish at two different schools, as long as I paid I got my grades and I got to graduate. Borrowing and paying the extra interest is not my idea of a solution.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:40:37 AM »
Borrowing and paying the extra interest is not my idea of a solution.

On the other hand, think of your credit rating!   =D

If the total delay is less than a month, I'd see if you can pay your tuition with a credit card of the appropriate closing and pay dates.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 12:47:20 PM »
Actually not a bad second idea. I'm just too fond of beating the system at it's own game.  =D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »
On the other hand, think of your credit rating!   =D

If the total delay is less than a month, I'd see if you can pay your tuition with a credit card of the appropriate closing and pay dates.

Yeah, I'm going to apply for a MasterCard, because they don't take Visa.   ;/

Fortunately, I've got a personal loan with my credit union to pay for my old, used vehicles, which I've been paying off steadily for about three years now.  I just called them up on Saturday morning, asked for more money, got approved, went in an hour later to sign the papers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife