Author Topic: I've never watched a Star Wars movie...  (Read 8252 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Re: I've never watched a Star Wars movie...
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 04:10:29 PM »
Yes! The library had the original trilogy in. I grabbed it before it crossed their threshold tucked under someone else's arm.

See you dudes later.  grin
Andy

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 04:44:33 PM »
Hey, I liked FF: The Spirits Within! It's like the illegitimate japanese child of Ghostbusters and Starship Troopers: The Roughneck Chronicles.

~GnSx
Who has no taste.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 04:52:43 PM »
Starship Troopers: The Movie

And now for something really stupid.  In the middle of my One Station Unit Training (Infantry) at Fort Benning, GA, we somehow had the opportunity to go to the theater on base.  Most of the guys went to see Starship Troopers, it being late fall in '97.  As the main characters were "Mobile Infantry," they were all totally stoked about this movie.  

Years later I saw it, and I couldn't believe anyone going through infantry training could get excited about the infantry of this movie.  Great tactics, guys.  Just swarm across the countryside, get right under the bugs and blast away until one of them picks you up and stuffs you in its mouth.  Ah, the pain of being analytical about everything.  
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 09:46:38 AM »
Starship Troopers: The Movie

And now for something really stupid.

Ah - I watched that movie not long after it came out, and it seemed quite good then.

I watched it again a couple of weeks ago, and - oh my!  rolleyes

I particularly liked the infantry tactics:

* We are small, slow, weak, useless in hand-to-hand combat, and have lots of long-range firepower.
* The bugs are big, fast, tough, deadly in close combat, but (mostly) have no ranged weapons.

So lets all run up to them and shoot them from point blank range! 

Mind you, and to keep this Star Wars related, they were not really any worse than the tactics used by the Rebels when attacking the Death Star in Episode IV.  ("This is Read Leader preparing to attack.  Red 1 and Red 2 - I want you to be my disposable human shields wing men.")

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 09:48:31 AM »
Well, I watched Episode IV last night. Not bad. I like the description of it as a "western in space."

Plus, I think I'm in love. grin Princess Leia - oh my! Lots of fortitude, courage, and spunk, and a pretty face too.
Andy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2007, 11:06:52 AM »
I particularly liked the infantry tactics:
The first thing I really noticed was the way they swarmed around like a bunch of toddlers at recess.  When my friends saw it, we were all being trained to walk in formation, keeping proper intervals, etc.  And when you assault through the objective, you stay on line instead of masking each other's fire. 

I expect way too much, don't I? 

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007, 11:09:54 AM »
Okay, you guys...

grin
Andy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
Mind you, and to keep this Star Wars related, they were not really any worse than the tactics used by the Rebels when attacking the Death Star in Episode IV.  ("This is Read Leader preparing to attack.  Red 1 and Red 2 - I want you to be my disposable human shields wing men.")

It's a movie. Don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed. Wink You may actually enjoy it.  grin
Andy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2007, 11:45:57 AM »
The first SW (as in episode IV) was different enough to make everyone sit up and take notice.  Thanks to excellent key cast choices, stellar cinematography, outstanding music, and judicious editing it made for a very good movie.  The second (episode V) was my personal favorite for the darker undertones, and overall grittier and more compelling storyline.  The third (episode VI) was still good, just not as good, in my opinion, as Empire.  Too much "soft and cuddly" with the Ewoks, which ripped me right out of the picture every time they were on screen in a one-on-one sense.

As for the prequels, I can't stand them.  Lucas may be a heckuva visionary and darned good producer, but he stinks as a writer and director, and even worse as an editor.  The dialogue was awful, the acting wooden, the sequences too choppy, and there is a penchant for trying to put too much into each scene.  They could have pared the whole thing back by a third, putting in more action and less dialogue, then cut about ten minutes out of each movie (not to mention each and every scene with Jar-Jar Binks). 

Plus, re-edit the whole dang thing.  And when I say re-edit I mean completel and totally s**tcan the whole thing as start over.  The pod race in Phantom Menace could have been incredible, but they kept hopping back to other characters sitting around watching screens and making put-on "concern faces" as well as interspersing the race with horrendous Coselle-like dialogue from a screamingly fake two-headed thing that seems to wave it's heads around just because it could.  I dunno, maybe Lucas got a two-for-one deal on the CG and didn't want to throw the bit away.  Whatever it was, it ruined the entire race for me.  I would just be getting into the action scene when they would cut to the character.  A kick in the head would not have jarred me out of the movie harder.  It was so bad I stopped watching the movie and just started noticing every incident of stupid editing.  Two and three were no better.

Lucky that I picked up the old versions in the remastered laser disc editions before Lucas had a go at "fixing" them.  Sorry, but no.  His pal Spielberg may be pretty okay at Director's cuts, but they could both take lessons from James Cameron (ever seen his directors editions of T1, T2, The Abyss, or Titanic?  The man flat-out knows how to re-edit a movie).

My suggestion would be to really watch the original trilogy - good movies, even with the Ewoks.  The prequels? Well.. you might as well watch them just to say you did but be advised that the only thing worth seeing in any of them is Natalie Portman in a shredded skin-tight costume.  If you see Hayden Christensen coming on screen go ahead and fast forward until you can't see him any more to spare yourself the misery.  I guess he's trying to come off as menacing, but all he does is end up looking like a life-sized statue being moved around the set.  IMHO the only real acting in the whole movie is Ewan McGregor, who absolutely nails Alec Guiness's character from the original right down to the mannerisms and tonal qualities in his voice.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2007, 11:46:26 AM »
If we're watching a movie, and especially when my sister was still living at home, I'd drive everybody crazy picking movies apart. Is a gun real and/or period correct? Is a saddle period correct? Is somebody dressed like a dude* or mall ninja as the case may be. And it's actually funny sometimes... especially when my sister would get that exasperated look on her face and get into a huff.

*In the vernacular I learned, "dude" is a synonym for a fop, a dandy, someone who dresses foolishly and especially while trying to be something they're not.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 11:52:17 AM »
I can't stand Jar Jar Binks either.

I knew I, II, and III wouldn't be like IV, V, and VI. To be honest, I really hated to see them even talk about starting that project. But I still say Princess Leia was just like her mom.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2007, 11:57:56 AM »
Well, I didn't mention it, but I watch Episode I first, because my dad had it and the library hadn't gotten the original trilogy back yet. After watching Episode IV I noticed a distinct difference between literally everything. Cast, characters, cinematography, etc. Episode IV was grittier, had a much more compelling plot line, and the dimensions of everything looked much more realistic. In Episode I a lot of stuff just looked, for lack of a better word, flat. Plus, the character of Jar Jar Binks didn't really seem to fit the drama of the plotline. Jar Jar reminded me too much of Sid from Ice Age, and a fatuous character like that didn't seem to fit a dramatic movie like Star Wars as well as it did a comedy like Ice Age.
Andy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 12:01:41 PM »
Jar Jar was comic relief, and was also there for the kiddies. 

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 12:05:11 PM »

In my opinion, there then was too much comic relief in the movie.
Andy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2007, 12:07:30 PM »

In my opinion, there then was too much comic relief in the movie.

I kinda looked at the whole movie as comic relief, except there was no comedy and no relief...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2007, 12:30:41 PM »
As a sophomore in H.S. in '77, I was really happy with and influenced by the original trilogy (IV, V, VI).  I think most agree that V was probably the best of the three, but I enjoyed the lush forest scenes and the ewoks.  Yes, you had to suspend your disbelief.  That's what the movies are FOR; an escape from reality.

The later trilogy (I, II, III) was very disappointing.  I don't think I saw either of the final two in the theater.

Lucas/Spielberg did a good job and cutting edge effects when the originals came out in the '70's. 

For any of us who thought that the subsequent trilogy would push the state-of-the-art in the same way as, say, the Tolkien/Peter Jackson films, Lucas really struck out.

I admit to having been a Tolkien/Hobbit geek back in the day, but I honestly don't ever again expect to be as impressed by a film (or series) as Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films.

Another opportunity came when they decided to do C.S. Lewis' Narnia series.  All seven (?) books have been optioned, but after LotR, I felt the first Narnia film was so poor that I wonder if they'll even DO more than one or two more.

All art is subjective.  YMMV.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2007, 09:08:08 PM »
I just finished watching Episode V, The Empire Strikes Back. Not bad at all! I liked it better than Episode I and Episode IV, they keep getting better and better. I especially enjoyed the plot and storyline. The plot and storyline of  Episode V had more intricacies than that of Episode I and Episode IV.

I still like Princess Leia.  grin
Andy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2007, 03:02:14 AM »
I just finished watching Episode V, The Empire Strikes Back. Not bad at all! I liked it better than Episode I and Episode IV, they keep getting better and better. I especially enjoyed the plot and storyline. The plot and storyline of  Episode V had more intricacies than that of Episode I and Episode IV.

I still like Princess Leia.  grin

Would you like her more in a metal bikini and alien harem garb?  Smiley

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2007, 05:01:33 AM »

Don't know yet. If I have time I'll watch Episode VI tonight and we'll soon find out.
Andy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2007, 05:04:10 AM »

NO. STOP. CEASE and DESIST. I don't care if this is Oleg's forum. I absolutely forbid conversations involving Jar Jar Binx that don't involve theorizing on his prolonged and gruesome death.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2007, 05:37:27 AM »
Whaaah? Meeesa onee trying to help.  sad

grin grin grin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
I'm wondering if my remarks were taken as a defense of Jar Jar.  I was explaining, not defending.  If it makes you feel better, Ben, may Jar Jar be chained to the throne of Rosie O'Donell the Hut and slowly smothered to death over the course of a thousand years. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2007, 06:50:07 AM »
Ben, may Jar Jar be chained to the throne of Rosie O'Donell the Hut and slowly smothered to death over the course of a thousand years.

That's more like it!   grin grin
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2007, 07:06:27 AM »
I saw episode 1 in the theater. Haven't even seen the other two recent ones even on DVD.

That Jar Jar just ruined the movie.

I am really bummed the original three have been re edited, I would like some time to re watch them but I would prefer to see the original edits. The general consensus seems to be the re edited versions aren't as good.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2007, 10:14:45 AM »

Don't know yet. If I have time I'll watch Episode VI tonight and we'll soon find out.

See my post on page one. grin