Author Topic: I've never watched a Star Wars movie...  (Read 8251 times)

m1911owner

• friend
Re: I've never watched a Star Wars movie...
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »
Does anyone know of a source for DVDs for IV-VI that come from the original versions?  I've heard that there exist DVD transfers from the old 12" LaserDisks?

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2007, 10:05:54 PM »
I just finished watching Episode VI, The return of the Jedi. Again I say, not bad! I've rather enjoyed watching the original trilogy. The original trilogy is probably the best series of movies I've watched in a long time. And at the risk of sounding emotional, I'll be man enough to admit that there were some heart-wrenching scenes in Episode VI at which I almost teared up. Smiley

I still like Princess Leia.  grin The only point I noticed that disappointed me just a tiny bit was that she did not take as great a leadership role in Episode VI as she did in Episode IV and V. But that's just a very minor disappointment.

I think I'll change my avatar for a while. It reflects the movie and the scene with Princess Leia I that liked the best. Wink
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2007, 05:03:42 AM »
It will also make people think you are a girl.  Tongue

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2007, 06:06:55 AM »
It will also make people think you are a girl.  Tongue

Oh well.
Andy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2007, 08:43:04 PM »
I just finished watching Episode II, Attack of the Clones. It was an interesting movie. I didn't enjoy it as much as the original trilogy, so I don't really have anything else to say. 
Andy

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2007, 09:14:07 PM »
I just finished watching Episode II, Attack of the Clones. It was an interesting movie. I didn't enjoy it as much as the original trilogy, so I don't really have anything else to say.

I didn't either. It only gave an insight as to where the imperial storm troopers came from... the originally, they were the good guys, but became the group used by the bad guys.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2007, 08:54:19 PM »
I just finished watching Episode III, Revenge of the Sith. I think it was better than the first two movies of the prequel trilogy, but not as good as the original trilogy.

Now that my first Star Wars experience has been concluded through watching all six movies, here are my thoughts:

I like the original trilogy the best, and gained much more enjoyment out of watching those three movies than the three movies of the prequel trilogy.

I am glad I watched the original trilogy first. Many events in the prequel trilogy would not have made sense without watching the original trilogy first. For example, if I had not watched the original trilogy first, especially Episode V, were Luke undergoes his Jedi training under Yoda in which Yoda teaches Luke of the things which lead to the Dark Side of the Force (anger, hate, aggression, fear) I do not think I would have noticed through Episodes II and III Anakin's gradual fall to the Dark Side as those traits began to appear in him.

Of the three movies of the preguel trilogy, the last, Episode III, was the strongest. The first movie I thought was the weakest. It basically just documented from where Anakin Skywalker came. The second movie was a little bit better, but still wasn't great, for it only showed the very beginning of Anakin's inability to control those emotions which lead to the Dark Side as well as showing the viewer from where the many Imperial Stormtroopers came. Finally, the last movie of the prequel trilogy was the best of the three. You saw Anakin's fall to the Dark Side of the Force be completed, the destruction of most of the Jedi, and Palpatine's gain of complete control of the Senate and formation the Galactic Empire.

The original trilogy, the documentation of the Rebellion against the Galactic Empire, is the better set of movies. The prequel trilogy is interesting for gaining the background information of how the Galactic Empire was formed and how the Rebellion was needed to restore the Republic, but watching those three movies I don't consider essential. The original trilogy documenting the Rebellion stands just fine alone in its entertainment value.

In regard to the quality of the six Star Wars movies (taking into account which ones I liked the best and which provided the most entertainment for me), I'll probably watch the original trilogy again pretty soon, but not the prequel trilogy. I'll eventually watch the prequel trilogy again, but I probably will not watch the prequel trilogy as often as I do the original trilogy.

Thanks for your advice for the order in which to watch the Star Wars movies.Again, like usual, it was excellent. I am happy that you lead me down the path to watching the original trilogy first. grin
Andy

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2007, 03:24:47 PM »
There is way too much teenager crap in the movie series. It is a bad idea to mix serious issues with kiddie stuff. It would have been significantly better without JarJar, the Ewoks, teenager puppy love, and various other excessive cuteness. As they are, the movies are horribly stylistically dissonant; it amazes me people do not see that and continue believing that Lucas is a great director. Lucas is a big freaking softie that nobody had the balls to reign in. But then they would not have made nearly as much money selling theme merchandise...

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2007, 06:45:53 PM »
There is way too much teenager crap in the movie series. It is a bad idea to mix serious issues with kiddie stuff. It would have been significantly better without JarJar, the Ewoks, teenager puppy love, and various other excessive cuteness. As they are, the movies are horribly stylistically dissonant; it amazes me people do not see that and continue believing that Lucas is a great director. Lucas is a big freaking softie that nobody had the balls to reign in. But then they would not have made nearly as much money selling theme merchandise...

Whatever. I liked it; it's mindless entertainment and doesn't have to be logical or perfect. Geez, just enjoy it for what it is.

Sure, it could have been better. I've got a whole list of stuff I wish had been better in the series. But it wasn't, and won't be. There's nothing one can do about so just sit back, relax, and enjoy it for what it is...

(if you can.  rolleyes)
Andy