Author Topic: Defending the Iraq war.  (Read 15898 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Defending the Iraq war.
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2007, 04:34:07 PM »
Heh, how many times have you rolled your eyes at those "suitcase nuke" stories?  Try explaining to folks that nuclear weapons are fair complicated gizmos that are expensive and somewhat maintenance intensive.

Nukes have a short life span. According to the GUMO, the lifespan of some of the components in Russian nukes is six months. The entire weapon itself could not have a hypothetical shelf life longer than 12 years, even with the best of maintaince. (The reality is Russian nukes have a much shorter shelf life. I'd personally guess 8 years at the most with the best of maintaince, but that's just my personal opinion.)

The Soviet Union fell apart much longer than 12 years.  And today's Russian maintaince programs are even more lax than during the USSR days.

No, I just quietly chuckle at all the self-described nuclear proliferation experts solving the world's problems one keystroke at a time from behind Internet aliases.  Remember, "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog".  Almost as funny as folks calling service academy graduates "brainwashed automatons", without any real knowledge of what those institutions do to create leaders.  Oh, I know, there was a rape investigation at the Air Force Academy, so therefore, all academy grads are rapists, it says so in the news.  Jeebus. For a while there, many of us Air Force types would change into civilan clothes at work so nobody would see us coming and going to work, shades of Vietnam vets being derided by the Hanoi Jane protestors of the world. Coming back from Desert Storm, I had a media news camera shoved in my face as I walked past a protest staged at the airport. My comments never made it on the air. Since I've retired from the military, I'd be more than happy to take take the time and bring Ezekiel as my guest to a military base and educate him on how it really works. Assuming he really could stomach spending time with a service academy graduate or two...

Straight ethanol would be better than the blends.  I don't see it happening.  The blends wouldn't be so bad if cars were specifically designed for it, and there wasn't price gouging.

E-85 is about as straight as it'll get, especially for automobiles in temperate zones.  Straight booze doesn't work well for starting cars in the snowbelt in winter.  Pure ethanol (E100) is hygroscopic, so the 15% gasoline mixed in with it keeps it "dry" and gives better winter weather starting performance.  The modifications to an E-85 vehicle are kind of neat, it involves re-mapping the injection and ignition timing, using stainless steel in the fuel system from tank pickup to fuel injector, and there's a neat little fuel composition sensor box between the fuel tank and injection manifold that samples what's coming down the pipe, and continually signalling for the engine management computer to re-map based on straight gasoline, E-85, or any combination in between. 

I'm curious about that price gouging statement.  I paid the same for my dual-fuel S-10 on the dealer's lot as I would have for a non-ethanol-modified version.  In fact, I didn't even know my truck was dual-fuel until I read the owner's manual and saw the sticker on the fuel filler door. Who woulda think it, in Florida, no less? At least Ford put the cute little "FFV" emblem on their dual-fuel cars and trucks. Here's how it works - the FedGov gave the Big 3 CAFE credits if they produced X amount of dual fuel vehicles.  GM did so with little fanfare, I bought mine on the lot in Florida, it was part of an order of pickups the dealership bought and delivered via a GSA contract to the local Air Force base.  Mine was one of three spares the dealership kept in inventory.  They (rightfully) expected the Air Force to total one or two in good time.   Wink

Thats a pretty vauge claim without much backing  undecided . As far as soviet nuclear technology leaking out is concerned explain to me the 100 or so unaccounted nuclear devices from the former Republic of the Ukraine. I'm sure theres more I am unaware of but never the less the scientist are out there for hire as well. Nuclear proliferation is a reality we have to face and keeping tabs on and bullying the world will not work forever.

Purposely vague, if you will.  Since I wanted to keep my clearance, I signed that non-disclosure agreement, and cannot even publish my memoirs for 75 years after leaving the agency.

Suffice it to say, the majority of Americans have no idea their government has offices and agencies keeping serious tabs on things, using techniques, personnel, and equipment that makes shows like CSI (blech!) look like some sort of grade-school play.  I would fly 22-24 hours in a 4-engine heavy reconnaissance jet just to drag a couple cotton air filters and suck in a few cubic feet of air after a Soviet nuclear test and then do it again after a minimum of 12 hours' crew rest.  (Constant Phoenix - look it up on Wikipedia) The data would be analyzed, ant the official State Department LTB treaty violation demarche' would hit the United Nations within a couple days after the event.  It's also how we knew that Chernobyl really was a power reactor vs. breeder reactor.  I did that gig to the tune of 1,500 hours, so yeah, I'll be vague.  Wink

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2007, 04:50:29 PM »
RevDisk - thank you very much for the informative post. God knows I sure don't know half enough to make some of those decisions. So no offense taken. Smiley

You are welcome.  No one knows half as much as they should when they make a decision.  I don't.

There I disagree - with Ezekiel as a case in point. We could be invaded by aliens from Jupiter tomorrow, and someone would start spreading the line that we somehow brought it on ourselves. I'm not saying we're pure as the driven snow, but rather than no matter how good the justification is, we have maybe 1-3 years until the "blame American first" media storm gets louder than the natural "hit back" response.

There are too many people in positions of media influence these day with a vested interest in making whichever person is in charge at the time look bad to allow for a sustained conflict. Sure from my point of view I think a Republican CiC has it worse from most media outlets, but Clinton sure didn't get any slack either with all the "wag the dog" fanfare some years back.

Things might change once the Boomer generation and its "we stopped the Evil VietNam War" self-mythos die off, but for the next generation or so I don't think we have the stomach or attention span for a sustained conflict.

One doesn't need to be pure as the first snow of winter.  "Good enough" is good enough for most folks.  Some folks will always be doubtful or blame America.  Most people are somewhere in the middle, as is always the case.   If a justication is good enough, and seen as more or less honest, it will be accepted.  Yea, media's job is to give the folks in charge a bad name.  However, most politicians (left, right, up, down, the lot of them) deserve it. 

Me, I can't think of too many President in the last hundred years I did perticularly like.  Ironically, I liked Carter as a person, thought he made a horrible President.  Eisenhower was probably the last decent president we had. 

Problem with the new generation, they have access to a lot more information.  I was in squads where every single enlisted person had either a degree, or was working on one.  Heck, I've been on deployments where they offered college classes in forward bases.  Most young folks that actually give a damn can have as much information as they want at their fingertips.  The price of this knowledge is apathy and cynism.  We don't have much blind faith.  In our commanders (with a couple exceptions), in our politicians, in 'the system'.  Given something worth believing in, without the bullshit, people will follow and support. 

I've heard all kinds of stories of folks bemoaning today's generation as slackers, lacking guts, etc etc.  BS.  I know of no one my age that puts in 40 hrs a week and lives in comfy bliss.  We work our rear ends off, for not much in return.  Today has no lack of slackers and fools, but I doubt statistically above par.  Difference today is that most people know exactly how much BS is handed over.  We know not to trust the media, politicians, etc because frankly they do not deserve trust.

Many now will say "I supported Afghanistan, but not Iraq" and I say bullcrap to that.
I remember all the whining about "quagmire" and "that's where the USSR died" and so forth and so on as the buildup in Afghanistan was going on. If we'd never moved on, the same voices that now are screaming about Iraq would be screaming about Afghanistan and unjust war.

Wander outside of Kabul, and you'll see that not much has exactly changed.  We swapped Islamic fundimentalists for drug dealers and warlords.  The former Northern Alliance now controls a firm majority of the world's heroin supply.  Eventually, we'll have to replace the folks we put into power in Afghanistan. 

Besides, most of the head honchos bailed out of Afghanistan and into Pakistan before we had significant forces on the ground.  Invading Pakistan would have been ackward, as they have nuclear weapons and are somewhat allies of the US.

RevDisk - what I was calling nutty was the belief that it would actually be possible to grow the Caliphate to cover the earth, as some want. Or rather, the idea of invading ships of Jihadis. That does not however mean they won't do a hell of a lot of damage in the trying.

As to the "not the greatest concern" - certainly long term I will agree with you that there are bigger clouds on the horizon, China as you mentioned being perhaps the biggest. That said, they are not the active concern as they're not presently trying to kill us. I don't believe a comparison to traffic fatalities is valid, because the Jihadis are a human force actively working on expanding their numbers and killing westerners.

Nonetheless your preferred approach makes a lot of sense to me.

The original Caliphate (at its height) covered more of the planet than the Roman Empire did (at its height).  More than twice the territory.  It reached from Spain almost to China.  http://www.hostkingdom.net/earthrul.html  Not something to write off.  A modern Caliphate would stretch from Africa to Indonesia.  Still, I suspect larger concerns will surface before any caliphate appears. 

Another perspective not generally acknowledged by our side is that Wahabbis tend to kill more Muslims than they do Americans.  Until fairly recently, they mainly focused on local host nations.  Egypt being the obvious.  The Muslim Brotherhood assassinated the Prime Minister of Egypt in 1948, attempted to assassinate Gamal Abdel Nasser in 1954, and may have had a hand in assassinating Anwar Sadat in 1981.  Ironically, no one in the ME hated and hunted the Brotherhood as much as Saddam did.  (He was secular, they wanted to overthrow him.)   Funny how things turn out, no?

Thats a pretty vauge claim without much backing  undecided . As far as soviet nuclear technology leaking out is concerned explain to me the 100 or so unaccounted nuclear devices from the former Republic of the Ukraine. I'm sure theres more I am unaware of but never the less the scientist are out there for hire as well. Nuclear proliferation is a reality we have to face and keeping tabs on and bullying the world will not work forever.

Dispite this vagueness, he is correct.  We keep tabs on nuclear development, especially in the former USSR.  We fund employment programs for former nuclear scientists.  The FSB keeps tabs on them as well.  Any unaccounted nuclear device is an expensive paperweight without regular maintaince.  Many components need swapping out every six months, or the warhead is useless.  If you'd like, I could email you extensive material on this.

Nuclear proliferation is being fairly well handled, relatively speaking.  NK is the only truly rogue nation with advancing nuclear technology.  China however pulls the string with regards to the NK.  Without China, the NK would not exist and is the sole reason why there are two Koreas.  China is literally right next door, provides a lot of food, has a vastly superior military and plenty of nuclear weapons.  As long as we are on good terms with China, we don't have to worry too much about NK.

As long as the military regime in Pakistan remains stable, things are fairly well handled.  If Pakistan falls, we're in trouble.  Nuclear weapon wise. 

Then just explain that part.  To whom is it unjust and why? 
Its unjust to the soldiers who signed up to defend this country and its constitutiton, not to die and be maimed to save a nickel on a gallon of gas or add a few points to Haliburtons stock. I think this country really needs to step back and evaluate its use of force compared to what the founders intended it to be. Its unjust to people like you and me who will be paying off the deficit for years to come. Its unjust to the people in Iraq who traded a dictator and stability for roving death squads, daily bombings with mass casualties, and total destruction of infastructure. All to remove a dictator we kept in power for so long.

Sigh, one fond memory of being overseas.  Haliburton was overbilling the US Army for fuel, and selling said fuel on the black market.  Another scam was buying very cheap food and charging the Army top rates.  Ergo, lots of troops were getting food poisoning.  Including me.  I still hold food in my mouth a couple seconds to make sure it doesn't taste funny.  Thanks KBR.   I remember being across the table from the KBR execs, with a belt fed ready to roll, and asking for permission to line 'em up against the wall.  My CO said no.  Bah. 

And I spent all those hours with my stomach cramping up shining and prettying my SAW...  Sigh

Since I've retired from the military, I'd be more than happy to take take the time and bring Ezekiel as my guest to a military base and educate him on how it really works. Assuming he really could stomach spending time with a service academy graduate or two...

Hell, I spent 6 years in the service, I couldn't stomach more than an hour or two with a service academy graduate.  I thought exposure times of longer than four hours was fatal.   angel
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2007, 04:59:27 PM »
remember, 911 was in 2001, it is now 2007 and we have yet to have even a minor Jihadist staged terrorist event take place here on our soil. I for one COMMEND the Pres and his administration for this achievement.

And we had eight years with no attacks before that? Its not over and will happen again so dont go patting Bush on the back just yet.

I know it's not over and yes it could very well happen again, especially if we let the pressure off those bastards just like Sean Penn and the like would like us to.

I'm not sure what you mean by "eight years with no attacks" the USS Cole and the African embassies come to mind. But , of course, that wasn't actually on our soil. Oh, you mean the first WTC incident. yea, and we just put that off in the back of our minds and let them regroup, try again and succeed in the most heinous way imaginable.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ron

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2007, 05:02:14 PM »
And we had eight years with no attacks before that? Its not over and will happen again so dont go patting Bush on the back just yet.

Technically if our Embassies are US soil then that isn't true. Attacking one of our warships and killing 17 sailer's could be construed as an attack and act of war no?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2007, 05:04:37 PM »
Heh, simul-posts by me and Ron, but we're on the same page.  smiley

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
I'll take drug dealers and warlords over religiomous fundamonkeys.

You can PREDICT drug dealers and warlords, and you can BUY them.

After we fix this mess, we legalize the stuff, and put 'em out of business. Problem solved.

Threadlock in 3 - 2 - 1....

Blog under construction

Ron

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »
Threadlock in 3 - 2 - 1....

Threads don't get locked here silly  cheesy

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2007, 05:49:03 PM »
Ok, for the thousandth time:

Hydrogen is not an energy source. It is energy storage. To produce hydrogen, you have to run electrolysis of water to split into hydrogen and oxygen. You have to get the energy from someplace to run the electrolysis in the first place. So, stop talking about "hydrogen economy" or hydrogen as an energy solution. At best, hydrogen can be used as an ecologically friendly fuel, but only if you produced the electrical power for electrolysis in some clean way in the first place (e.g. solar, wind).

Btw, CSPAN showed Hillary talking in Des Moines and she said that the thermoelectric plants need to be made clean because right now they are emitting "poisons like arsenic and carbon dioxide". The only way to prevent them from emitting carbon dioxide is not to run them at all. And this thing wants to be president. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2007, 06:53:13 PM »
Methane is energy storage.

Beer and White Castles combine into an energy source.

All I know is that there's folks out there who wanna cut my head off. I like it where it's at, because if it wasn't there, I couldn't drink beer and eat sliders. And they definitely don't like beer (strike one) and probably don't like sliders either. Now, they can either put up with those of us who do (why can't we all just get along theory), or they can go all jihad on us, and eventually we'll pave everything from Egypt to Indonesia... Yeah, the ocean too. We're America. We can do that. We can do anything. The impossible just takes a little longer.

If you don't like beer'n'bombers, well, you're against us.

Don't make me go nucular on y'all...

And now for a comment from someone who feels that any war is a bad war. Meet Annie, whose great grandfather, who helped liberate concentration camps, is now reaching ever higher and higher rotational speeds... How quickly they forget...

Blog under construction

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2007, 07:00:22 PM »
That's all well and good, assuming you stick with the electrolysis technique - but not everybody's doing that.

I just toured this facility in Madison, WI a couple weeks ago:

http://www.virent.com/technology.htm

They've recently received big federal grants and a huge grant from Honda for their brainchild, Aqueous Phase Reforming of oxygenated compounds.  They're extracting hydrogen from biomass-derived feedstocks, sans electrolysis.

Looks like they have their $hit all in one sock.  I've since applied there for a position they advertised through their employee grapevine...

Another aspect of reducing our dependency on foreign petroleum is probably more farfetched.  I volunteer time at a local railroad museum, helping maintain some wonderful old Baldwin steam locomotives.  Looking at one of the coal-fired steamers with auto-stoker and all the early 20th-century technology that went into that big iron beast, I'd have to ask why can't we make a modern steam-electric locomotive that's coal fired?  We've got one heck of a coal reserve in these United States, and I've seen some seriously long Burlington Northern trains hauling hundreds of coal cars enroute to electrical power plants like the one near Portage, WI.  Obviously, here in 2007 the locomotive's exhaust stack would need some sort of scrubber or emissions device.  Steamers didn't do a good job of conserving their boiler water, but they had big water tanks in their tenders and water sources at their stations to feed that total-loss system.  Maybe a closed-loop boiler/turbine system with efficient condensers? 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2007, 08:48:59 PM »
Steam engines are not a good idea, because they are very inefficient. Gasoline internal combustion engines can reasonably approach efficiency coefficient of ~ 30-35%, while (external combustion) steam engines' are 0.6%. I have not looked at the specifics, but my guess is that the fundamental reason is Carnot's cycle and the law that states a thermodynamic engine cannot do better than Carnot because of entropy.

Carnot's limit is given by eff=1-Tc/Th, where Tc, Th are the temperatures (in Kelvin) of the cooler and heater respectively. So, for a steam engine running between room temp and boiling water, the max efficiency would be 1-293/373=21% at the very best. Gasoline engines reach higher temps and run more efficiently. Incidentally, the same reason is why chemical cells are more efficient the hotter you run them. at 2000degC, their ceiling would be 1-293/2273= 87%. That is also why gas turbines are better than gasoline engines.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2007, 12:46:20 AM »
Last I heard, but I don't know how true it is, most of the coal mined in the US is too dirty to burn and stay within federally mandated emmisions guidelines. Therefore we can't burn it here so we ship it overseas where it is ok to burn there. MEANWHILE we import "clean" coal to burn in our plants.

If we were to use something like solar or geothermal generated electricity to do the electrolysis thing for releasing hydrogen I think we'd be on to something. I've been on the hydrogen bandwagon forever, but mostly because it produces no pollutants when burned, just water. Besides, electrolysis also releases oxygen for which there are a multitude of uses, sale of the oxygen would offset the cost of producing the hydrogen. Not to mention it is an infinitely renewable resource.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2007, 05:33:37 AM »
Then just explain that part.  To whom is it unjust and why?  
Its unjust to the soldiers who signed up to defend this country and its constitutiton, not to die and be maimed to save a nickel on a gallon of gas or add a few points to Haliburtons stock. I think this country really needs to step back and evaluate its use of force compared to what the founders intended it to be. Its unjust to people like you and me who will be paying off the deficit for years to come.

I don't agree that the Iraq war was fought for those reasons, but at least you have identified the only party who might have been wronged in this war.

Its unjust to the people in Iraq who traded a dictator and stability for roving death squads, daily bombings with mass casualties, and total destruction of infastructure. All to remove a dictator we kept in power for so long.
America kept Saddam in power?  How so?  In any case, it is outrageous to suggest that we hurt the Iraqi people by toppling Saddam.  If they can't control themselves during the power vacuum, that is not our fault. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2007, 12:42:47 PM »

America kept Saddam in power?  How so?  In any case, it is outrageous to suggest that we hurt the Iraqi people by toppling Saddam.  If they can't control themselves during the power vacuum, that is not our fault. 

America supported Iraq during the Iraq-Iran War.  Previously, we installed a brutal dictator (the Shah, ref. Operation Ajax) in Iran, who was kicked out by Khomeni.  The Iranians were annoyed at us for supporting the Shah, amoung other reasons.  They started doing things we did not like.  (Tehran Embassy hostage situation)  So, we supported their enemy, Iraq.  We really got involved after the "Tanker War" started.  The US Navy got directly involved through  Operation Praying Mantis.  One of the highlights was Iran Air Flight 655.

Without our involvement, it's quite probable that Saddam would have lost that war. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »

America supported Iraq during the Iraq-Iran War.  Previously, we installed a brutal dictator (the Shah, ref. Operation Ajax) in Iran, who was kicked out by Khomeni.  The Iranians were annoyed at us for supporting the Shah, amoung other reasons.  They started doing things we did not like.  (Tehran Embassy hostage situation)  So, we supported their enemy, Iraq.  We really got involved after the "Tanker War" started.  The US Navy got directly involved through  Operation Praying Mantis.  One of the highlights was Iran Air Flight 655.

Without our involvement, it's quite probable that Saddam would have lost that war. 

The French gave sanctuary to Khomeini while he was in exile.  If they hadnt he probably would have been killed somewhere.  If he had, the Shah maybe never would have fallen. If the Shah were still in Iran then we maybe never would have had to fight to Gulf War.
So its France's fault.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2007, 12:57:52 PM »
So if we assist one side or another in a war, we're then responsible for keeping a dictator in power?  I don't see it that way.

Even if we did "keep Saddam in power," that only makes this war an act of justice to the people of Iraq.  We're correcting our alleged mistake.  Aren't we?  You could argue we're doing a lackluster job of it, but I think that's a different issue from whether we should be there or not.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2007, 01:05:32 PM »
So if we assist one side or another in a war, we're then responsible for keeping a dictator in power?  I don't see it that way.

Even if we did "keep Saddam in power," that only makes this war an act of justice to the people of Iraq.  We're correcting our alleged mistake.  Aren't we?  You could argue we're doing a lackluster job of it, but I think that's a different issue from whether we should be there or not.

And sometimes, meddling further only tangles up the knots you already had into more and more tangled ones, until you can't move.

The founding fathers DID warn about "going abroad looking for monsters to slay" as opposed to supporting the banner of freedom whenever it flew.

What we've done not only goes counter to what they said, but against the strategic knowledge of literally everyone from Julius Caesar to Sun Tzu. Noted military historians, including one whose works are read at the War College, are calling this the biggest strategic blunder of the past two thousand years!

Meanwhile, as our "legions" are off in foreign wars, our borders are being overrun by "barbarians". Now...Hm! Where did THAT happen before in history, and what was the result?  sad

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2007, 01:14:33 PM »
Actually people said the Afghan War would be the biggest strategic blunder and would end up as a quagmire.  They pointed to the Soviet Union and Britain before that.
Of course they were wrong.
And you must be misquoting the "noted historian" because no one could be that dumb.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2007, 02:48:48 PM »
Actually people said the Afghan War would be the biggest strategic blunder and would end up as a quagmire.  They pointed to the Soviet Union and Britain before that.
Of course they were wrong.
And you must be misquoting the "noted historian" because no one could be that dumb.

It's not a quagmire, because outside of the capital city, we have little presense.  We have circa 20k soldiers patrolling a country the size of Texas.  Mostly warlords and drug dealers run the country. 

Depends on the assistence.  If removing said assistence would more than likely cause said dictator to be overthrown, then yes, we are keeping said dictator in power.  Seems relatively simple.  You are, of course, welcome to your opinion on the matter.

Removing Saddam being an act of atonement.  It's an opinion thing.  To each their own.

I however wouldn't call arming Saddam an alleged mistake.  Seeing as how we launched two wars against him within a span of just over a decade, I'd call it a serious mistake.  Hopefully the US will take greater care in which murdering lunatics we fund or support in the future.

In other interesting news, the US raided an Iranian consolate in Irbil, Iraq.  Interesting note, Irbil is in Iraqi Kurdistan.  Various diplomatic material (computers and documents mostly) were confiscated.  Six individuals were detained, dip status isn't quite clear.  US is claiming it is not a consulate.  Apparently the Iranian consulate there was set up last year under an agreement with the Kurdish regional government to facilitate cross-border visits.  Iraqi and Iranian officials are claiming that it was an approved Iranian Liaison Office.  Kurdish security forces secured the facility after US forces left.

US and Kurdish forces recently had a minor confrontation at Irbil Airport, that nearly resulted in a firefight.  The Kurds are getting a bit touchy about US launching hostile activities in their region without notification.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2007, 03:52:05 PM »
Why do we know the war in the middle east is bad?

Because the media tells us.

Why do we know that guns are bad?

Because the media tells us.

Now, you're gonna believe these clowns 100% on one thing, and 0% on the other?

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH. Don't let CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, whatever, make up your mind for you.

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2007, 05:29:51 PM »
Why do we know the war in the middle east is bad?

Personally, I think it's more to do with 3000+ flag-draped coffins and a country that's a total splattered mess of a civil war and sectarian deathsquads and 2000-year-old tribalism flaring up with our troops caught in the middle. The Mission has changed every freaking month, and now it seems to mostly be "try not to run over an IED". I know a highly organized group disguised as Americans just killed a bunch of our guys. I know all those troops are in the middle of a sandbox where every house might contain a friendly, or someone who's going to pull out a rifle and nail them in the back when they walk away, or where a house they go to secure might have tripwires. Or where when they run to respond to a car bombing, the second one will go off right as they get there. Or where helicopters are now getting popped with missiles/RPGs or whatever and going down. Where there's many people who are willing to die to kill them, and that sort of mind CANNOT be reasoned with. Kamikaze, on a personal scale, could be any person on the street that has a bomb belt. I'd call that "hell", and wonder WHAT the hell we can really accomplish there.

I know THAT is real, no matter what the media says.

The military makes a lot of sacrifices so we can have our freedom, but I see this, now, as the military BEING sacrificed for sheer bullheaded stubborness and pride, so someone can have a "legacy".

How DO you "win" an occupation of a continually hostile country full of people who want to kill you? And is there any logical reason to stay in the middle of a civil war, rather than trying to stabilize by 1) moving bases to the north (Kurdistan), they kinda like us and don't try to kill us. Usually. and 2) only using patrols to secure the BORDERS to keep more insurgents and supplies from moving in? Bagdhad is going to fight. We can't stop that without at least a million boots on the ground, which isn't going to happen. So why not a NEW strategy?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2007, 11:18:46 PM »
3,000 flag draped coffins?

Yeah, I suppose. But a lot of those coffins were empty.

Oh, wait a minute. You're talking about our soldiers over there getting PAYBACK for the 3,000 coffins from the world trade centers.

Yeah, there's gonna be some bad... But I think that if we hadn't gone over there, we would have had a lot more _domestic_ folks to bury in "heroes" graves. The guys who are over there are true heroes - the ones in New York...  Well, bad place, wrong time.

Their people, as a whole, want freedom. And we NEED an area in the middle east to operate from. Now, we can wait until the jihadists get their crap together to hit Manhattan during rush hour, or something like that, or we can see if we can bleed 'em out over there. You know how I feel about it.

Not all wars are bad. Some are needed. And some are overdue.

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2007, 03:50:27 AM »
Oh, wait a minute. You're talking about our soldiers over there getting PAYBACK for the 3,000 coffins from the world trade centers.

rolleyes

IRAQ DID NOT DO 9/11. Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11. It's 2007 and that's STILL not clear?

Osama bin Laden did, and he's still alive.

And laughing at us.

If someone sucker-punches you, do you consider it wise to let them get away, and instead turn around and punch someone unrelated standing in a crowd nearby because they're an easier target?

Their people, as a whole, want freedom.

No, they want tribalism, the same arrangement they've had and fought over for thousands of years. Iraq was, from the beginning, an outside-created jamming-together of three groups, Shi'a, Sunni and Kurd that basically despised each other. This is NOT our culture, it is nothing like our culture.

You might as well try to herd cats.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2007, 04:33:18 AM »

rolleyes

IRAQ DID NOT DO 9/11. Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11. It's 2007 and that's STILL not clear?

BEFORE 9/11, Sadaam Hussein could imply, "Yeah, I've got chemical (which I've ALREADY used on Iran and my own people), and I'm getting nukes, and your next, Uncle Sam", and the U.S. as a country, could afford to be patient, and try sanctions (which were undercut by a corrupt U.N. and our good buddies France and Germany....).  AFTER 9/11, its a whole new ball game, and ANY president who DIDN'T act on such a credible threat would not be doing his job.  You really think Sadaam and his two pshocopath hellspawn WOULDN'T have provided terrorists with the means to nuke or slime a major U.S. city?  In a New York minute...
Osama bin Laden did, and he's still alive.

For now.  In a cave in Tora Bora. Until his kindeys finally give out.

And laughing at us.

From the number of associates of his that have been "terminated with extreme prejudice", I gather he is laughing by himself.

If someone sucker-punches you, do you consider it wise to let them get away, and instead turn around and punch someone unrelated standing in a crowd nearby because they're an easier target?

The time to kill the snake is while you've got the hoe in your hand.

Their people, as a whole, want freedom.

No, they want tribalism, the same arrangement they've had and fought over for thousands of years. Iraq was, from the beginning, an outside-created jamming-together of three groups, Shi'a, Sunni and Kurd that basically despised each other. This is NOT our culture, it is nothing like our culture.

You might as well try to herd cats.
[/quote]

A bunch of purple thumbs says you're wrong....
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2007, 04:51:27 AM »
We really don't know whether bin Laden's alive or dead.  And it doesn't matter at this point.  If we got him tomorrow, it would mean very little. 

And if you think the war in Iraq distracted us from finding bin Laden?  Please.  Actually, it distracted the terrorists from whatever they might have been trying to do.  I'm starting to think the Iraq invasion was a good idea just because it's not such an obvious move.  It diverted terrorist energy into a quagmire that they're not winning either.