Author Topic: How the US sent $12bn in cash to Iraq. And watched it vanish  (Read 3030 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
How the US sent $12bn in cash to Iraq. And watched it vanish
« on: February 07, 2007, 03:11:12 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,2008189,00.html

How the US sent $12bn in cash to Iraq. And watched it vanish

Special flights brought in tonnes of banknotes which disappeared into the war zone

David Pallister
Thursday February 8, 2007
The Guardian

The US flew nearly $12bn in shrink-wrapped $100 bills into Iraq, then distributed the cash with no proper control over who was receiving it and how it was being spent.
The staggering scale of the biggest transfer of cash in the history of the Federal Reserve has been graphically laid bare by a US congressional committee.

In the year after the invasion of Iraq in 2003 nearly 281 million notes, weighing 363 tonnes, were sent from New York to Baghdad for disbursement to Iraqi ministries and US contractors. Using C-130 planes, the deliveries took place once or twice a month with the biggest of $2,401,600,000 on June 22 2004, six days before the handover.

Details of the shipments have emerged in a memorandum prepared for the meeting of the House committee on oversight and government reform which is examining Iraqi reconstruction. Its chairman, Henry Waxman, a fierce critic of the war, said the way the cash had been handled was mind-boggling. "The numbers are so large that it doesn't seem possible that they're true. Who in their right mind would send 363 tonnes of cash into a war zone?"

The memorandum details the casual manner in which the US-led Coalition Provisional Authority disbursed the money, which came from Iraqi oil sales, surplus funds from the UN oil-for-food programme and seized Iraqi assets.

"One CPA official described an environment awash in $100 bills," the memorandum says. "One contractor received a $2m payment in a duffel bag stuffed with shrink-wrapped bundles of currency. Auditors discovered that the key to a vault was kept in an unsecured backpack.

"They also found that $774,300 in cash had been stolen from one division's vault. Cash payments were made from the back of a pickup truck, and cash was stored in unguarded sacks in Iraqi ministry offices. One official was given $6.75m in cash, and was ordered to spend it in one week before the interim Iraqi government took control of Iraqi funds."

The minutes from a May 2004 CPA meeting reveal "a single disbursement of $500m in security funding labelled merely 'TBD', meaning 'to be determined'."

The memorandum concludes: "Many of the funds appear to have been lost to corruption and waste ... thousands of 'ghost employees' were receiving pay cheques from Iraqi ministries under the CPA's control. Some of the funds could have enriched both criminals and insurgents fighting the United States."

According to Stuart Bowen, the special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction, the $8.8bn funds to Iraqi ministries were disbursed "without assurance the monies were properly used or accounted for". But, according to the memorandum, "he now believes that the lack of accountability and transparency extended to the entire $20bn expended by the CPA".

To oversee the expenditure the CPA was supposed to appoint an independent certified public accounting firm. "Instead the CPA hired an obscure consulting firm called North Star Consultants Inc. The firm was so small that it reportedly operates out of a private home in San Diego." Mr Bowen found that the company "did not perform a review of internal controls as required by the contract".

However, evidence before the committee suggests that senior American officials were unconcerned about the situation because the billions were not US taxpayers' money. Paul Bremer, the head of the CPA, reminded the committee that "the subject of today's hearing is the CPA's use and accounting for funds belonging to the Iraqi people held in the so-called Development Fund for Iraq. These are not appropriated American funds. They are Iraqi funds. I believe the CPA discharged its responsibilities to manage these Iraqi funds on behalf of the Iraqi people."

Bremer's financial adviser, retired Admiral David Oliver, is even more direct. The memorandum quotes an interview with the BBC World Service. Asked what had happened to the $8.8bn he replied: "I have no idea. I can't tell you whether or not the money went to the right things or didn't - nor do I actually think it's important."

Q: "But the fact is billions of dollars have disappeared without trace."

Oliver: "Of their money. Billions of dollars of their money, yeah I understand. I'm saying what difference does it make?"

Mr Bremer, whose disbanding of the Iraqi armed forces and de-Ba'athification programme have been blamed as contributing to the present chaos, told the committee: "I acknowledge that I made mistakes and that with the benefit of hindsight, I would have made some decisions differently. Our top priority was to get the economy moving again. The first step was to get money into the hands of the Iraqi people as quickly as possible."

Millions of civil service families had not received salaries or pensions for months and there was no effective banking system. "It was not a perfect solution," he said. "Delay might well have exacerbated the nascent insurgency and thereby increased the danger to Americans."

LAK

• friend
Re: How the US sent $12bn in cash to Iraq. And watched it vanish
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 01:45:37 AM »
This story came out quite early in the game as I recall. There was brief discussion of it on TFL and or THR. Of course there were some falling over themselves to make excuses of one kind or another. The "fog" and the "urgency" of the situation of course. Nothing like an engineered fiasco and frenzy.

Notice it was billions of dollars from the american public purse. Not that of the U.K. Or of Saudi Arabia - or the State of Israel. Our money.

And this $12 billion is what they are publicly admitting went out this way - or that "they know of".  Good way to pay off some hired thugs, a pseudo-terror group. Or as a planned theft; divvy out $X billion like it is confetti at a festival - then "admit" that "$12 billion" got lost. Thus regardless of the total amount that went out - where it all actually ended up has never a hope of resolution.

Then there is the $2.7 trillion that can not be accounted for by the Pentagon. It really is high time we pried the fingers of this cartel off our government, wealth and resources, and took to task to get as many of them as possible out of this country, along with the millions they have allowed to freely enter.

-------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 01:48:54 AM »
the Bozos that were handling this issue at the time there are the ones that should be on trial, not the Marines who were doing what  soldiers do.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 04:31:04 AM »

Notice it was billions of dollars from the american public purse. Not that of the U.K. Or of Saudi Arabia - or the State of Israel. Our money.

No.  It was billions of dollars from Iraqi oil sales and seized assets.  NOT U.S. money.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 05:32:33 AM »
LAK, Did you RTFA?
These are not appropriated American funds. They are Iraqi funds.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:26:45 AM »
LAK, Did you RTFA?

Obviously not.

I think it goes without saying that corruption, theft, and lack of accounting standards are Bad ThingsTM.

So, I understand the railing against them by Congress & whomever wants to take a stab at them.

I would like to point out couple realities of Iraq:
1. The electronic money regime that we take for granted in the 'States was not available to Iraq in 2003.  "ATM [did not] solve evrything!"  You could leave your Amex at home and not be any less prepared.  Visa might be accepted more places inthe world than any other card, but try using it to pay for bodyguards where a phone lines and card machines are not available.

The Almighty Dollar, OTOH, is accepted even by our worst enemies.

2. Iraq in particular & the ME in general is rife with corruption.  It is (to steal one from software weenies) a "feature" and not a "bug" of the culture.  Any dealings in that part of the world will involve bakshseesh.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 06:38:14 AM »
I few million dollars in $100 bills went through my hands over there.

Everything is done on a cash basis.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 08:06:01 AM »
So, this situation is exactly like New Orleans or Florida then? laugh
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 08:15:55 AM »
Yep, exactly, except I think we dumped a few hundred billion down to that place.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 09:41:18 AM »
I am shocked - SHOCKED - at the waste and inefficiency described in that article.

I could have blown that $12B much faster than they managed to do.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 10:11:39 AM »
Brewster's Millions on steroids.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 10:14:02 AM »
Then there is the $2.7 trillion that can not be accounted for by the Pentagon. It really is high time we pried the fingers of this cartel off our government, wealth and resources, and took to task to get as many of them as possible out of this country, along with the millions they have allowed to freely enter.
Where did this 2.7 trillion come from?  The entire US annual budget is 2.6 trillion I think.  That is several years worth of the entire Pentagon budget for all the armed forces and all its research and procurement.

If you had said Social Security or Medicare/Medicade, I could easily understand.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 05:22:53 PM »
One aspect that is not being examined here...
Regardless of whether or not the money was from Iraqi oil sales or not...
The money is U.S. Currency printed by the federal reserve. 

Which means we are had to pay interest on that money when it was printed. 

It still has a net negative impact on each and every American since the more money the FR prints and floods into the
economy the weaker the U.S. dollar becomes. 

That and it really doesn't matter where it came from, the reality is that we have no clue who's hands it ended up in.

How many of our humvees with good men are being blown up by I.E.D.s paid for by Ben Franklins?

Yet another blunder of just too damn many.

Look I think taking Saddam out was the right move.  We made the biggest mistake when we didn't completely level the earth that
they call Falujah when our contractors where swinging from a bridge.
We went in with the right attitude and then the administration chose to stick their finger in the air, rather than fight war dirty.
And I mean dog dirty, the enemy knows one tactic and one tactic only that is lethal force with extreme prejudice.
War is nasty business.  It's even nastier when you try to make it look pretty.

Funny how you don't hear from alot of Japanese groups complaining about excessive force used to end WWII

I don't have a problem spending money to rebuild Iraq after we bomb the #$!% out of it.  But we had better be sure we wiped the enemy out...
and more importantly broken their will to fight. 
Innocent men, women and children will ALWAYS be a causualty of war.   
An attrocity is when you don't finish the job and they continue to suffer because our politicians don't have the backbone to start and finish the job correctly.

Trying to force democracy over there is just as bad as trying to force democracy on us.  We are NOT a democracy, or at least we were not intended to be.
We were supposed to be a democratic represenative republic.  Our founding fathers warned us of the dangers of becoming a democracy..i.e. Mob rules.

We should have taking Saddams regime out.. verified that most if not all of his weapons were destroyed and then left.  Yes left (when I say left I mean to our carriers in the gulf while we watched like hawks), who cares what kind of government they want.  If they all want to live under Islamic law, let them. 

Yeah I know I'm just a crude barbarian.  Just like Truman was Tongue 

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 05:47:32 PM »
Gotta have specie if you want a somewhat functional economy.  263 tons of FRNs would work about as well as anything.  Actually, much better than most things.

Folks who've worked in Iraq tell me there are gobs of American currency in circulation.  That article makes a lot of noise about not knowing where all that currency went.  Well, I have a pretty good guess.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberately "lost", so as to allow the currency into general circulation.  If so, it would represent money well spent.  Enabling some semblance of an economy speeds the day when Iraq is able to stand on its own. 

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 09:33:55 PM »
If the money truly represents the value of Iraqi crude sold and Saddam's assets seized there is no inflationary factor, it represents real wealth.  As far as being "lost to us", look at macro-econ; in the end that dollar is only redeemable right here in the good ol' USA.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

LAK

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 12:12:31 AM »
richyoung,

It was a big cash withdrawl from the Federal Reserve bank. If it was indeed iraqi oil money etc - and I do not believe for a second it all was - it raises other questions. Since all the money from iraqi oil is supposed to be held by the IMF under U.N. supervision. It would make a liar (yet again) out of comrade Blair who assured everyone in 2003 that every penny of iraqi oil money was going to be in that account.

In June 2003 the fund stood at about $7 billion total - $3.1 billion of which was appropriated U.S. funds. Where did the other $5 billion come from in such a short space of time?

MechAg94,

The $2.7 trillion was DoD money.

---------------------------------------

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 06:04:21 AM »
I know you said it was DoD money.  I'm asking you where they got $2.7 trillion to waste?  That is kind of a lot of money even talking about the DoD.  Do you have a link or is this some rumor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_budget,_2007
Has some current budget data.  The DoD's proposed budget for 2007 is short of $500 billion.  That ENTIRE budget is a bit short of $2700 billion you said disappeared.  Where did they get that much money to waste and what was it supposed to be for?

http://www.federalbudget.com/
Another link.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 07:59:25 AM »
LAK:

Probably the money was from assets frozen after Saddam gave Kuwait a rogering back in GWI.

Your $2.7 trillion figure is not in the realm of the believable (too high...more than 5X DOD annual budget).  $2.7 billion is not believable, either (too low...bureaucrats are better money-wasters than that).  $2.7 million is Dr. Evil laughably low. 

You need better sources of data, as you are not being well-served by your current sources.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

LAK

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 02:04:27 AM »
MechAg84

I know you said it was DoD money.  I'm asking you where they got $2.7 trillion to waste?  That is kind of a lot of money even talking about the DoD.  Do you have a link or is this some rumor?

Sorry, it was $2.3 trillion - not 2.7.

"Rumor"? You mean the "rumor" that I saw and heard Donald Rumfeld speak of on an audio visual recording of the proceedings during questioning by a certain Congressional official called Cynthia McKinney last year? The one that had Donald in noticeable facial contortions and stuttering?

Perhaps you should ask Donald why he perpetuated such a rumor by acknowledging both the figure and the subject matter. Wink

I don't have a link handy, but it is easily verified.

Scratch that. here's one that will get you started...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/01/29/eveningnews/main325985.shtml

-------------------------

LAK

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 02:11:59 AM »
jfruser,

Yes, 2.7 is a wee bit high. It was 2.3 trillion. And you need to talk to Donald as well Wink

Actually, the figure has been well covered in many articles and commentaries. Here ya go - that wonderful YouTubey thing ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD3Ym9-YMqg

---------------------