Author Topic: Cut Losses or Engage (Personal Struggle\More Whining)  (Read 1258 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Cut Losses or Engage (Personal Struggle\More Whining)
« on: February 08, 2007, 11:39:32 AM »
I am not going to recount the travesty of my last year, just the relevant bare min.
Trouble with ex housemates, threatened and accosted on campus, Dean gave a stern talking to them (assumedly) and also (assumedly) instructed us both never to speak to or about the others... Upright idiot that I am, I obeyed her dictate of silence despite the other side continuing low level harassment, including telling folks I'm a convicted sex offender.  Was an absurdly rough semester, first year law is tough and isolating as it is, my grades are bottom 5% (still passed everything tho, hurrah). 
Last Monday I get a note in my school mailbox, all caps, FAG.  We have had winter break, its a month in, jesus christ will it never end.  But ahah, I've got something solid.  I report it, told to come back later and let the Dean know what I would like done.  Same time, Dean lets me know there is a student org for such incidents 'both real and imagined'.  Oh, by the way, when I first went about the whole being accosted on campus (after the security report) it was 'well, your story is consistent'.
At this time, Screw the Deans first order, I chat with some folks about it.  Find out just how pathetic that guy is and how despite the actions being so shocking and out of place on a law school, no one is surprised once they hear his name.  I'm feeling loads better, chat with a school priest, feel better, and all around things going really well for the last two days. 
I talked with the Dean today¬hing but revisionist history and ass covering.  I told her I don't want anything done, I just want the administration aware in case there is some future incident with this guy (who is a disgrace to the law school).  She tells me that this will not be done, he has and will have a clean history.  I tried a different approach, I don't care about his record, I just want the administration to know so that if there is any future trouble its not something out of the blue... She then lets me know that he will of course get no such treatment, he has a clean record and that there will only be a note in MY record.
My mind was rather boggled as you can imagine.  Outrageous behavior from the start of the year, threats, stalking, harassment, all out in the open... driven to a sneakier but no less malicious operandi by the Dean herself...
Well, not pressing the point, there was also the matter of the school scholarship.  It requires being top 50%, I'm bottom 5%.  He response was of course that the scholarship cut offs are automatic as everyone has a sob story and it doesnt matter if one's parents die.  I think that an absurdly hard line for a private catholic school to apparently be taking. 
Anywho, back to the ass covering.  I told her my misgivings about the response of her office what with her using terms like 'your story is consistent' and 'incidents real and imagined'.  About the response for incidents real and imagined, she says she was just trying to refer me to a student support group 'GALLA'-Gay and Lesbian Lawyers Association for 'students of my mold'.  Which of course prompts me to respond that I'm not gay.  This makes her then say that Well, so it wasnt sexual harrasment... that makes things easier. 
So yah, I went on feeling pretty darn good, getting an exec spot on the largest student org, having a good line on a summer position, compliments/support from classmates ect ect, right back to the bottom of the well.  I just got beyond the harassment nonsense, but now this is pissing me off.
If the Dean did not make it the schools business, the police would have handled it and they and the court don't mess around.  The Dean decided not to do anything but a 'talking to'.  I was told to, and I obeyed, the gag order about the buggers.  The response to tangible, go look at the note in my SCHOOL Mailbox, harassment was to talk about 'incidents real and imagined', and then to go on about how this guy's record is clean so his image is spotless in our eyes diatribe.
I finally have more forward-looking thinking, what with gaining perspective by disobeying the Deans directive, but because I followed it in the first place my semester was ruined.  The Scholarship rank requirement is ongoing, so its not like I have a fresh chance this semester.  Nice legal notion is that when someone's position is bad but you make it worse, you pay for that difference.  For scholarship purposes I want that last semester discounted.  I really don't think Im asking something outragious here.  So, do I cut my loss, transfer to another school that costs less, or engage, go over the unpopular dean's head? 
If nothing else I suppose I could investigate the validity of the 'it doesn't matter if a person's parents die' assertion. 
I don't mean to be whiny, but yeesh, how about some justice?
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Cut Losses or Engage (Personal Struggle\More Whining)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 12:19:39 PM »
If the status quo will cost you big $$$, go over the dean's head with all your evidence at hand.  It can't cost you any more $$$.

If that doesn't work, go to a different, less costly school.

Do not rely on a university to resolve serious issues.  Next time something like this occurs, go to the police.  Heck, maybe you can still give the local constabulary some information.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 12:29:15 PM »
Go nuclear.  Screw the school.

If publicity is their fear, make it obvious that such is precisely what they will get if they do not adhere to your wishes and concerns.

If they fear publicity more than righteousness, you don't want a degree from there, anyway.
Zeke

SomeKid

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 01:09:50 PM »
First quit whining.

Secondly, you have some law background.

Thirdly, you say you have some evidence as to who is doing this.

What am I getting at? Libel and slander. Hammer the SOB. Posting about it here doesn't solve squat. Also, if the Dean is so worthless, stop seeing her. File actual complaints. Take what you have, find the biggest hammer you can, and start whacking away. You got screwed some, time to screw back.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 01:19:03 PM »
Justice?  From a bunch of lawyers at a law school?? 

Ha!

Ron

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 01:41:13 PM »
I don't mean to be whiny, but yeesh, how about some justice?

This your opportunity to learn how to become a mean hardened SOB.

I would never encourage someone to do something unethical or illegal.

It's just that sometimes karma needs a push.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 02:06:11 PM »
Certified letters of complaint, with copies, sent to the appropriate persons.  Formal complaints filed, if denied filing, certified copies of that fact sent and copied.  Record and notarize your recollections of previous conversations with the dean, if legal, record all future meetings.

Build a paper trail and remember the names.  Even if it does you no good personally, you'll have a hammer to use if they ignore the wrong person later, you can provide evidence of a pattern of irresponsibility.

But I'm the petty, bitter, vengeful sort.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 03:06:09 PM »
But I'm the petty, bitter, vengeful sort.

Just give me alittle more time, I'm sure I'll join the ranks. 

Isn't squashing idealism and decency what law school is all about?

angel----> angry

Its about time I started listening to my tagline

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 09:48:51 PM »
Okay, I tried the online Latin - English dictionary.

Definition?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 03:38:34 AM »
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio. The wicked are not swayed by obsequiousness

Mottoes
from 16th-century sources

http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/mottoes.html

*Great Site for snooty drinking toasts and flask inscriptions.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 08:15:19 AM »
Thank you.  I like it.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 04:41:24 PM »
my standard mo in a situation like this is a registered letter to the dimwit dean as well as one to their boss their bosses boss  witha mention that its my fervent hope that i don't need to go one level higher.  next is same letter from a law firm and that one does go all the way to the top.  if someones playing the games i think they are don't overlook the gay group for support. they can give good advice and they will hunt whoever is jamming you on priciple and for sport

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
In fighting against the machine, do not threaten.  Promise what will happen and then do it should your conditions not be met.  Also be prepared for a counter stroke.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon