Author Topic: Gun web sites for gun newbs.  (Read 1439 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Gun web sites for gun newbs.
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
Can someone recommend a good web site for a beginner with no knowledge of guns? I'm thinking of something with a glossary, gun safety rules, maybe some articles on different types of guns, how guns and cartridges work, etc.

This if a for a friend of mine. If you don't suggest something, my friend will end up learning about guns and gun safety from me, fistful. You wouldn't want that, would you? Think of the children. (And he does have children, so think about them.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Gun web sites for gun newbs.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:14:38 PM »
http://www.corneredcat.com

Taylored towards women, but a good novitiate site regardless of gender.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »
Doesn't the non-forum part of TFL have some things like that?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »
Doesn't the non-forum part of TFL have some things like that?

I thought so, too, but I'm not finding much in their library like what I'm looking for.

Ah, Oleg comes through.
http://www.a-human-right.com/getstarted.html

I also sent him the Cornered Cat gun glossary. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:03:36 PM by The artist formerly known as fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:44:30 AM »
Wouldn't it be better to send someone to arfcom before letting fistful teach them?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:14:01 AM »
Wouldn't it be better to send someone to arfcom before letting fistful teach them?

You have something there RKL.  I bet fistful taught this person: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=30433.0.   =D
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »
Redhawk nailed it with Cornered Cat. Kathy Jackson's book is an excellent primer for the less web-inclined, as well.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »
Redhawk nailed it with Cornered Cat. Kathy Jackson's book is an excellent primer for the less web-inclined, as well.

While I agree that CC is a great resource, and I have personally referred people there myself...

I'm going to go ahead and stereotype blue collar mid western guys as the type of people who might not be comfortable learning about what is perceived as a male subject on a largely pink website.  :-* If that's not the case I agree it's the place to go, but you've gotta consider the audience.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.