Author Topic: Bob Barr and Texas  (Read 2055 times)

zahc

• friend
Bob Barr and Texas
« on: September 19, 2008, 09:45:41 AM »
The situation might not be news, but I just heard on /. that Bob Barr has now sued TX for putting Obama and McCain on the ballot, even though they did not apply before the deadline.

http://www.bobbarr2008.com/press/press-releases/133/bob-barr-files-suit-in-texas-to-remove-mccain-obama-from-ballot/

What do you think?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Bob Barr and Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:48:22 AM »
While I think Bob Barr is the best candidate currently running, he's not going to be elected. It is better to vote for McCain.

With that disclaimer, I also think he's not going to win this case in Texas.

It is apparently the practice of the major candidates to put placeholder names on the Texas ballot documents until the formal convention. Barr's grounds are that because they had placeholder names there and not the names of the candidates, this is not legit.

The court is not going to throw the names of both major candidates off the ballot and let Barr and Baldwin have the Texas electors over what most people consider to be a mere formality.

[
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:50:54 AM »
True as that may be, it smells like BS to me. As BB says, third parties don't get to miss deadlines. What special privileges do the major parties have other than political clout? I'm a big fan of the rule of law, myself.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:53:06 AM »
Even if the court did this, the write in vote for the two major candidates would still be larger than the 3rd party votes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:53:19 AM »
If it helps -  emergency stay rejected.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner