Author Topic: Budget stalled still  (Read 10802 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Budget stalled still
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2011, 04:02:46 PM »
Nick1911, okay, accepted, let's save our combativeness for those who deserve it and recognize that those of us on this forum basically want the same things.

You're right, it is frustrating, and it is hard to know what to do when confronted by the kind of deaf politicians and well-insulated government machine we have to deal with.  We still have the power of the vote, and that's something; in fact, it's a lot, even in a time where election results are certainly becoming suspect.  I remain of the opinion, however, that before this is over, we will have to organize, even beyond the Tea Party, and present a large and militant face to the powers that be.  If that takes massing two million people in D.C. then that.  If it takes raising money to buy national television time to present our message, then that.  If it takes grass-roots internet funding campaigns, then that.  If it means using social media like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube ever more effectively, then that.

I believe in being optimistic until you can't be.  There is still hope of working through the system to unhorse Obama or to at least isolate him and render him politically impotent.  That, however, may turn out to not be enough, and I've talked about that in the past in terms of S-word (secession).  We have to pull back power into the states and re-Federalize.  Right now no one wants to seriously confront the implications of all this, and understandably, it's nation-shattering.  We may be in the last 18 months of America as we've known it, so I guess we'd better get in gear.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »
I do worry even if the senate switches majorities.  The president has shown no qualms about significantly increasing executive branch authority (the current debate over EPA regs, net "neutrality", czars, etc)-- all of which is legislation through regulation which is tough to counter quickly enough even with potential control of legislative branch by an opposition party...just look at the results of not only the current EPA activities (cap and trade gets rejected, so the EPA is doing it anyway), the energy cost and jobs results of the dept. Of interior moratorium after the gulf, HHS "waivers" and extrapolate to real targets (BATFE, DOJ, etc) and you should be worried too.  While big things may bring enough attention to be legislatively blocked (EPA), how many small, but potentially equally damaging regulations will slip through and reduce freedoms?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2011, 07:20:17 PM »
I guess we're going to find out, in the next year or two or three, whose country it really is and who's willing to fight hardest for it.  Yes, Obama will use whatever dance steps he needs to get his way; our job is to recognize what's going on and counter them.  If he vectors outside Constitutional authority then we ought to know what's called for.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.