Author Topic: Newtown families suing Bushmaster, disributor, seller  (Read 10657 times)

Marnoot

• friend
Newtown families suing Bushmaster, disributor, seller
« on: December 15, 2014, 10:19:04 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/15/families-newtown-shooting-victims-sue-gunmaker-seller

Why would a lawyer bother to take on a case like this at this point, when it will almost certainly be smacked down due to the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act?

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Newtown families suing Bushmaster, disributor, seller
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »
Why not sue the school and school district for not providing the proper security? [popcorn]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 10:26:17 AM »
I'm wondering the same thing as you, Marnoot. Besides the ridiculousness of the lawsuit, the timing is strange, unless there is something else going on that they are latching on to.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »
Trolling for publicity and settlement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:15:41 AM »
Trolling for publicity and settlement

I do believe you have hit the nail on the head.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »
Not trolling in rich waters for a settlement. The businesses would all be stupid to settle, since they're all pretty well covered by the aforementioned Act, and this will probably get dropped quickly. The claimed basis for the case is that such an evil gun shouldn't even be available for sale to civilians. Even without the lawsuit protection act, they'd have a tough time winning a case with the primary claim being that a business was doing something they don't like, but that is perfectly legal.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:28:36 PM »
Their insurance companies will settle

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 12:28:58 PM »
Perhaps they expect the case to be dismissed, and this is all just to feed their self-righteousness.  I am really surprised they didn't name the NRA in the suit.

(seriously, when did "victim" become equivalent to "saint"?)
"It's good, though..."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »
So, one of its evil features was that the caliber was "designed to penetrate a steel helmet."   :facepalm:

Which means that for that one purpose, the 5.56mm had to be at least as powerful as all of its military predecessors in the last 120 years.  At that point, why not sue the estate of Captain Desaleux (the inventor of the spitzer bullet)?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 05:22:53 PM »
I can punch a hole in 1/4" mild steel plate with a cast bullet out of a .30-30 from at least 50 yards. I'm wondering if at least in part this is another sideways attempt on any ammo that can punch through body armor.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 06:03:27 PM »
So, one of its evil features was that the caliber was "designed to penetrate a steel helmet."   :facepalm:

Which means that for that one purpose, the 5.56mm had to be at least as powerful as all of its military predecessors in the last 120 years.  At that point, why not sue the estate of Captain Desaleux (the inventor of the spitzer bullet)?
I thought steel helmets were never designed to be bullet proof.  They were designed to protect against artillery shrapnel. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 06:19:40 PM »
I thought steel helmets were never designed to be bullet proof.  They were designed to protect against artillery shrapnel. 

Just as your facts aren't expected to penetrate the emotional ignorance of a zealous anti.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 08:10:42 PM »
IF the suit progresses, it will really cause problems for those who say there was no shooting and the whole mess was a false flag.   [popcorn]
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 08:36:51 PM »
IF the suit progresses, it will really cause problems for those who say there was no shooting and the whole mess was a false flag.   [popcorn]

They'll just claim the lawsuit is part of the fiction.  No swaying the true believers.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 08:48:09 PM »
They'll just claim the lawsuit is part of the fiction.  No swaying the true believers.

There is always a crazy explanation waiting in the wings.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 11:44:21 PM »
IF the suit progresses, it will really cause problems for those who say there was no shooting and the whole mess was a false flag.   [popcorn]

I don't understand why there is so much idiot conspiracy theory around the Sandy Hook event and not earlier shootings .....   or maybe I am just mis-remembering things ...  [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 06:53:30 AM »
My opinion...the suit was filed with the goal of achieving one or more of these objectives:

1.  Quick cash settlement from insurance company.
2.  Try to get a push for new laws against EBRs at the federal level if/when the suit fails.
3.  Find an activist judge to set aside the law and allow the suit to go forward.
4.  Set up an appeal seeking to get the law set aside.
5.  Get lots of publicity for the lawyers.
6.  Given some of the language in the documents, may be trying to lay a foundation for suits using consumer protections laws under some of the dangerous product liability precedent.  Theory being that the item is inherently too dangerous for the consumer to safely use, so the manufacturer/sellers are liable for damages from the consumer use.
7.  The start of a new attack on the firearms industry, trying to litigate them out of business, maybe funded by Bloomburg and Co.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 09:48:31 AM »
I have to also now wonder if this is one of the pieces to "guns are a health issue".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 10:32:16 AM »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/sandy-hook-families-file-lawsuit-against-gun-manufacturer-1418651798

Behind a paywall, but the article says the plaintiffs are proceeding under the 'negligent entrustment' exception of the Act.  They argue that by selling assault rifles to the general public, manufacturers and sellers are then liable for any harm that arises out of the use of that rifle.  It will be a stretch to argue that 'negligent entrustment' applies to the general public rather than a specific individual.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 10:42:13 AM »
All their should to do is file an Affirmative defense under the PLCAA and it should go away.  Unless the find an activist judge.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 10:52:19 AM »
I don't understand why there is so much idiot conspiracy theory around the Sandy Hook event and not earlier shootings.....[popcorn]

Well, I for one have never seen conclusive proof that Connecticut exists, so I'm still open to the possibility that even the old maps were just part of the setup for this.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 11:10:28 AM »
This seems wide open to a SLAPP countersuit.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »
Well, I for one have never seen conclusive proof that Connecticut exists, so I'm still open to the possibility that even the old maps were just part of the setup for this.

At this point in history I'm ashamed to admit it, but I used to live there .... so, sorry; it exists.  :'( [tinfoil] :laugh:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 12:39:06 PM »
At this point in history I'm ashamed to admit it, but I used to live there .... so, sorry; it exists.  :'( [tinfoil] :laugh:

Sorry, but I've never seen conclusive proof that you're not just an advanced version of Eliza controlled by the same government that wants us to believe Connecticut exists.