Author Topic: We're 49th! We're 49th!  (Read 1151 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
We're 49th! We're 49th!
« on: March 04, 2022, 08:37:56 AM »
Idaho made it to 49, or more correctly, 2nd place, in Everytown's latest "gun safety report".  =D

I really liked reading about our "out of control gun violence".

https://www.bigcountrynewsconnection.com/idaho/gun-control-group-claims-idaho-among-weakest-states-on-gun-safety/article_ea06c288-9bbc-11ec-afce-87733e598a6c.html

https://everytownresearch.org/rankings/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: We're 49th! We're 49th!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 08:45:14 AM »
^^^I had to check, and as with so many other things, Mississippi is at the bottom. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 08:48:24 AM »
^^^I had to check, and as with so many other things, Mississippi is at the bottom. 

When liberals claim that states are the “worst ever” for a given issue I find that it means that it’s a state where there is a lot more freedom than their ideal state which on a given issue is no better and usually a lot worse in reality. Basically “among the worst” means not enough tax dollar theft to satisfy the “Big government is the best at everything” retards.

The liberals love to claim that my state is “among the worst” on education but we don’t have schools where a .3 GPA is “top half of the class” like Baltimore, MD.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 08:52:17 AM »
You can start calling yourselves the 49ers  :rofl:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 09:00:11 AM »
Yes!! My state is a "national failure."  :rofl:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 09:17:22 AM »

Says the guy living in the top "making progress" state. :P  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 09:24:09 AM »

I really liked reading about our "out of control gun violence".

With that murder rate of 2.2 per hundred thousand.  Less than one third of the American average.   ;/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 09:28:29 AM »
With that murder rate of 2.2 per hundred thousand.  Less than one third of the American average.   ;/

Reading through their rigorous research for all states, I found the terms "Possibly", "Perhaps", and "Might be" used an inordinate amount of times.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 09:43:25 AM »
Says the guy living in the top "making progress" state. :P  =D

Speaking of which, we are probably going to end up with a magazine restriction signed into law.  Grrr.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 09:45:14 AM »
Speaking of which, we are probably going to end up with a magazine restriction signed into law.  Grrr.

People outside of the Seattle metro have to be fuming.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 10:30:58 AM »
Oklahoma is at 44. I really think we can do better I'd like to be us at 47 or 48 next year.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 10:36:33 AM »
I live in one of their safest-rated states. I'm so safe that I try VERY hard not to go into the nearby city -- ever. The range where I shoot is on the other side of the city, and to get there I intentionally take a route that's five miles longer to go around the city rather than through it.

I don't feel safer here than I would feel in Idaho. I would love to be able to move to Idaho. Or Montana, or Wyoming, or South Dakota.

I'm puzzled -- according to them, the national average for gun deaths per 100,000 population is 30. EVERY state on their list is less than the national average so ... where did the national average come from?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 10:43:09 AM »
I don't feel safer here than I would feel in Idaho. I would love to be able to move to Idaho. Or Montana, or Wyoming, or South Dakota.

I was actually surprised that Montana was #48. They have been getting Californicated for much longer than Idaho, but seem to be holding strong. I don't know what the "liberals moving into South Dakota" situation is, but Wyoming seems to be holding strong against the Jackson Hole jackwagons.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 10:43:36 AM »
Only barely in the "national failure" category.  We can do better!

Yet, our gun murder rate is less than this lists #1 golden child?  Yea......

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 12:25:37 PM »
We need to know how they define their "gun violence death rate." I'm sure it's not based just on mass shootings. So my guess is that it includes murders (of all kinds), gang shoot-outs, suicides, and police officer-involved-shootings. As far as I'm concerned, that's a bogus statistic. Yes, it's unfortunate when anyone commits suicide, but my daughter has made eight or nine conformed attempts and none of them involved a firearm. I knew a guy who committed suicide by parking his truck on an Amtrak main line. People who want to kill themselves will find a way to do it, so I discount suicides from "gun violence" statistics off the top.

I also discount officer-involved-shootings. Yes, they are violent and yes they involve firearms -- but they are not the sort of "gun violence" law abiding citizens need to concern themselves with. Our state police are -- in general -- a bunch of jackbooted thugs, and so are  several municipal departments in the state, but I haven't seen or heard any reports (credible or not) of anyone being shot to death for running a red light in this state.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 12:28:20 PM »
I was reading further into their methodology, and yes, suicides are a large factor.

Stupid, of course. Yes, if you have a gun handy, it is usually a quick way out for someone willing to pull the trigger on themselves. If you don't have a gun handy, there are all kinds of relatively painless ways to off yourself. Suicides are a poor gun control argument, IMO.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2022, 12:30:00 PM »
. . .
I'm puzzled -- according to them, the national average for gun deaths per 100,000 population is 30. EVERY state on their list is less than the national average so ... where did the national average come from?
I'd guess a correction factor was applied to the actual data so the analysis would support the desired conclusion. This is the same general methodology applied to actual temperature records to "prove" global warming is real.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2022, 02:09:24 PM »
27 Louisiana - WAY to high on the list for me!  :'(
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2022, 04:49:30 PM »
When liberals claim that states are the “worst ever” for a given issue I find that it means that it’s a state where there is a lot more freedom than their ideal state which on a given issue is no better and usually a lot worse in reality. Basically “among the worst” means not enough tax dollar theft to satisfy the “Big government is the best at everything” retards.

The liberals love to claim that my state is “among the worst” on education but we don’t have schools where a .3 GPA is “top half of the class” like Baltimore, MD.

Like.

When their definition of "best" is agreed to by 50.0001% of the <ahem, koff-koff>"voters" it will become the Law of the Land for 49.9999% of the <ahem, koff-koff>"voters," and up yours anyhow.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2022, 08:03:13 PM »
If you click on the state, it provides a helpful list of issues they are rating the state by.  Makes a handy list of things to evaluate to do better next year.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2022, 11:19:31 PM »
Yes!! My state is a "national failure."  :rofl:

Missouri's major problem with firearms stuff is that the City Prosecutor for St. Louis seems to love criminals...
Blog under construction

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2022, 07:27:48 PM »
If we get Constitutional carry do you think Ohio can make the national failure list?

And they want to bring up "gun violence rate".  So does that mean crime statistics are back on the table?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2022, 08:14:05 PM »

And they want to bring up "gun violence rate".  So does that mean crime statistics are back on the table?

Only crimes committed by white people with guns against POC. Otherwise, it's either [mostly] peaceful protesting, or "reparations."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2022, 08:52:13 PM »
Only crimes committed by white people with guns against POC. Otherwise, it's either [mostly] peaceful protesting, or "reparations."

Hey wait a minute,  being the only person here not afraid of getting called a racist is my job...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.