Author Topic: Masterpiece Arms' new Mini 9mm **Homer drools**  (Read 3561 times)

Seymour Skinner

Masterpiece Arms' new Mini 9mm **Homer drools**
« on: November 28, 2005, 12:36:51 AM »
My local dealer says this mini piece of evil will be available for shipping anytime (exact price not set yet).  It's considerably smaller than the full size MAC 9mm.  This new mini may take up residence under my bed at night for home defense.

This mini MAC 9mm is in the family of pistols like the UZI pistol that daddy Bush stopped the importation of.  Since IMI is too damn stooopid to make insane profits and build UZIs in USA, Vector Arms is happy to build a nice line of UZIs, but there's so many hoops Vector has to jump through, the UZI pistol will probably always be very expensive ($850).  Here's a pic:

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 12:53:04 AM »
Wicked! Smiley

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 01:12:01 AM »
Just by looking at it I can tell it's MUCH deadlier than any other 9mm on the market and should be banned too... rolleyes

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 04:13:42 AM »
while it looks cool, whats the point??

its the same size as a full frame pistol, why not just pack a beretta or 1911 or sig or some other piece that is designed to be a pistol, and not a miniature, non-functional subgun.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 04:38:47 AM »
Already have a 9mm pistol.

I've shot an Uzi carbine, mucho fun, but its too expensive in comparison to other similar carbines out there.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 04:52:03 AM »
Seems pointless unless it's full auto, then it's only slightly pointless.

Oh well, lots of guns are pointless, that doesn't make them any less fun.

Chris

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 05:08:03 AM »
Quote from: baus44
Shooting is fun, what other point is needed?  You mentioned that it looks cool.  Even if you don't enjoy shooting, having one simply because it looks cool is 'the point'.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 09:31:37 AM »
Neat.  How does the rear sight work?

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 11:43:14 AM »
I don't exactly need an M1 Garand, either.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 11:50:48 AM »
Quote from: BTR
Neat.  How does the rear sight work?
When you see the BG through all three of the little holes, pull the trigger.
For entertainment purposes only.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 12:21:08 PM »
Not my first choice in a defensive 9mm.

"Sorry, yer Honor, but yes, I did feel the need to dump all 30 rounds into the perpetrator!"

Gotta give credit for the shameless plug for sales, though.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 02:28:22 PM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
Gotta give credit for the shameless plug for sales, though.
No kidding!  Masterpiece, anytime you've got some interesting things to show us, please, plug away.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 02:40:09 PM »
fair enough.  I did say it was cool..........  i guess i just don't see why you would use one as a nightstand gun,  i had the normal size one and it was clunky and unreliable ( but looked really cool and was fun to shoot!).

on that note, i have absolutly NO need for the 3 ak clones in my safe, i just like em' cause they make the brady types hyperventillate Wink

Seymour Skinner

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 12:03:19 AM »
Oh man. I like it! The 'homeboys' would eat. that. up.
Luckily, the fad of every gang member wanting MACs has long since passed, if it was ever really true anyway.  It always smelled like a media creation to generate desire for banning them, because MACs would get pictured on the news a lot and be featured as a crime gun in every other movie with an urban setting.  The reality has and always will be that criminals prefer small and or cheap guns.

i had the normal size one and it was clunky and unreliable (but looked really cool and was fun to shoot!).
Well, which brand did you have?  I'm mostly just curious, because if it was "unreliable" the brand doesn't matter too much.   The "unreliable" line is by far the #1 negative thing I hear about MACs.   It's total misinformation.  When I shot my first M-11 for the first time, it wouldn't feed reliably, and I did the same bonehead thing everybody else does and concluded it was the gun's fault.  I did some checking and found that MACs like a thin coating of oil on the inside of the upper and on the bolt, as opposed to being dry or just being wiped down with an oily patch or something.  Boom, problem solved and it hasn't been an issue since.  This started getting maddening when I noticed that EVERY used MAC I've ever seen at stores and gun shows has been dry as the sahara.  Oh, about 98% of gun owners feed me the "unreliable" line at some point if MACs ever come up in a conversation.  When NON MAC owners do it, I deduct IQ points about them in my mind for being so quick to repeat, old, 3rd hand, negative rumors.  The tendency of the gun community to do this is incredible to behold.  I talked to this old dealer at a recent gun show about Hi Points.  He made a negative comment that just sounded a little ancient in it's origins, so I asked him how long ago it was that he had these problems.  He replied that it was Hi Point's first year or so in business.  Unfortunately, people refuse to update their information, so when I hear something negative about a gun, I've learned to treat it as nonsense unless it happened TO THE ONE CLAIMING IT, within the last few months.

When you see the BG through all three of the little holes, pull the trigger.
That's about right, but I never thought of MACs as "aiming" weapons even though they are surprisingly accurate because of the 6 inch barrel (on a full size 9) that is stationary (one of the reasons Makarovs are so consistently accurate).

I'm always kind of amused at how many gun owners don't "get" the need or the "point" to the MAC design.  They apply a rather narrow judgement process, that accomodates the most common way of thinking, with kind of a "one size should fit all" mentality that our society has.

MACs are not one size fits all, and our society has a lot of trouble accepting things that are not desired or "needed" by 50% of the herd.  Independent movies are shunned unless and until they meet with the approval of enough people to become a fad.  Good has become synonmous with "popular."  Instead of judging right and wrong, people are more concerned with whether something is considered "normal," meaning, what everyone else is doing (the result of years of destructive principles of raw democracy).  MACs fit a few situations very well, but in some situations not at all.  MACs and UZIs fit what I call, the "three Cs":  Close quarters combat, high Capacity, and are intentionally designed with extra weight to aid in Controllability while going through that extra capacity.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 07:14:36 AM »
Masterpiece Arms.com, what is your relationship with your namesake, Masterpiece Arms ?

Seymour Skinner

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 09:32:30 AM »
Masterpiece Arms.com, what is your relationship with your namesake, Masterpiece Arms ?
I order their products, my local dealer stocks them, I buy them.   Admittedly, I hoard/stockpile them (10 years of the klinton ban, and the BATF trying to kill SWD still has me a little, OK a lot bitter).  Just what are you implying anyway?  Amazing how if the subject was music or sports, you wouldn't be wondering whatever it is you're wondering.  People spend tens of thousands a year to follow a specific football team all over the country to see every game and have a U-Haul full of stuff with the team's logo, but I suspect you would only refer to them as a dedicated fan.

By the way, what is your relationship with your namesakes, specifically Baton Rouge Airport (airport code BTR)? Smiley

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 02:50:26 PM »
So he's just a shill for the company, vs. really working for them.  

And the forum he lists for his website, it's just a hobby... Wink

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 03:03:03 PM »
Nice.

MACs and UZIs fit what I call, the "three Cs":  Close quarters combat, high Capacity, and are intentionally designed with extra weight to aid in Controllability while going through that extra capacity.
Doesn't mitigate the fact they have that extra-heavy blowback bolt that telescopes over the breech, creating the mother of all pendulums to rock the thing above the centrally-located balance point, namely the pistol grip/magazine housing.  

Sold my POS Cobray M11/9 shortly after the '94 ban was enacted.  Made a little money off of it and the guy who bought it, but I was darned glad to be rid of it.  It's probably still circulating in North Highlands to this day.  Even the old trick of surgical tubing on the trigger didn't help much with the slap.  Sad

Seymour Skinner

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 09:57:47 PM »
So he's just a shill for the company, vs. really working for them.
Shill \'shil\ noun: one who acts as a decoy (as for a cheater).  A shill would thus, still work for the company dude.  A shill diverts attention to assist a scam.  Would you mind explaining what you think I am scamming you or cheating you out of?  A shill is front meant to decieve.  What am I fronting for in order to decieve you?

CORRECTLY used in a sentence:  "Since the real powers are behind the scenes writing his script, George Bush is nothing but a shill for his handlers."

Considering what most people shill for, I think you at least owe me some props (and a retraction) for my chosen obsession, especially if you're going to misuse the word.  After all, I'm sure Terrell Owens eats nothing but Chunky soup at every meal. rolleyes

Doesn't mitigate the fact they have that extra-heavy blowback bolt that telescopes over the breech, creating the mother of all pendulums to rock the thing above the centrally-located balance point, namely the pistol grip/magazine housing.
Well, "the centrally located balance point" part is true, but you seem to have forgotten that all semi auto pistols also have this metal thingy that blows back called a s-l-i-d-e.  The bolt to my M-11s is a very different shape from the slides of all my full size semi auto pistols, but mostly, they weigh about the same.  Most slides being longer make up in weight for the M-11 bolt being a shorter, thicker square block.  Obviously, my Baretta .40 slide, with it's skeletonized design, is going to weigh less than the M-11 bolt, but I defy you to put a full size Glock slide or a big 1911 slide on a balance scale with an M-11 bolt in the other tray.  It will be closer than you had expected.  Wink

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 02:40:55 AM »
The comparison between MAC/UZI and Beretta/Browning/Colt would be valid were the latter also a straight blowback design.  Blowback guns use considerably heavier bolts and recoil springs to make up for the lack of a locked breech, so the pendulum is a good bit more massive in the latter. For additional reference, see also the Hi-Point/Jennings/Bryco/Lorcin/Davis series of quality straight-blowback firearms.

What's "props"?  Propellers?

(Looking it up in Wikipedia)