Author Topic: Digital Photog Help Neede.  (Read 1363 times)

Waitone

• friend
Digital Photog Help Neede.
« on: November 30, 2005, 11:24:13 PM »
I have several shoeboxes of "analog" photos I need to convert to digital.  

Can anyone suggest a lashup consisting of a scanner, scanning software, and photo manipulation software which will give me good results at a reasonable price?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 03:40:46 AM »
Canon LiDE scanner (we have the LiDE 30) and Irfanview.  The scanner is inexpensive, though I can't recall the price.  They might be on model 50 by now.  Irfanview is free.  That's the combo we use to turn all our analog photos to digital (I use film for anything other than ebay snaps).

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 03:47:33 AM »
This is the current version of what we have: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7277092&type=product&cmp=++&id=1118839115142

Here's some good info on choosing a scanner: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/scanner.htm

The Canon isn't one of his recommendations, but I've found it completely satisfactory for our needs.

Chris

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 07:01:54 AM »
mtnbkr speak good mojo.

Any of the Canon L-series or the Epsons on the Ken Rockwell site will do what you need for scanning prints to digital, and Irfanview is the stuff! I haven't opened a file in Picasa since I downloaded Irfanview.