Author Topic: Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land; I don't grok.  (Read 2599 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land; I don't grok.
« on: December 01, 2005, 05:51:21 AM »
I finished Robert Henlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" last night.

I don't grok it.  I enjoyed the first half of the book as a little bit goofy sci-fi story.  The second half left me scratching my head and wondering what Heinlein was trying to say.  It seems to me that the story went off on a tangent about religion.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

I like Heinlein's writing style, so I'll read another one of his books.  Maybe I can grok one of those.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 06:35:56 AM »
Try sitting on the bottom of a swimming pool and thinking about it.Cheesy

It is a criticism of Christianity and churches.

I recommend "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", FWIW.

Front!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 06:46:37 AM »
To Heinlein organized religion was little more than a legal scam tolerated by the powers that be as a means to control the masses and operated by con-men of the lowest sort. He had no great love for it or the priests, reverends, immans, witch doctors or whatever they are called in a given religion.

Heinlein doesn't as far as I know question the existence of GOD. He does question the nature of GOD. He absolutely hated the concept of organized religion as a means to commune with or understand GOD.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 07:45:42 AM »
To a certain degree, Stranger in a Strange Land is also the outgrowth of a bet between RAH and L. Ron Hubbard.  They were having dinner, along with Jerry Pournelle, and the idea came up that you could make A LOT of money by founding a religion.  RAH and LRH placed a bet on who would be more successful at doing so.  RAH wrote SIASL, while Hubbard went on to found the Church of Scientology.

Most people agree that LRH won the bet.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 08:05:49 AM »
SIASL is the only RAH book I started but did not finish.

I have read a bunch of his books & IMO, SISL did not measure up the the rest I have read.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 12:19:54 PM »
I concur with Werewolf about Heinlein and TheChurchies.

I read it when it first came out, and a few times since then.    Sure, the message is fairly obvious, but I usually don't let that sort of thing bother me. Smiley  I guess I've never worried about any deep meanings in a lot of books.  If they're enjoyable as novels, fine.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 12:36:39 PM »
Thanks, all.

I figured it was mostly a dig at religion, epecially Christianity, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Dave M., is that statement about the bet true (documented somewhere)?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 02:43:24 PM »
While the often-cited rumor that Hubbard made a bar bet with Robert Heinlein that he could start a cult is almost certainly false, others have claimed direct knowledge that during 1949 Hubbard did make statements to other people that starting a religion would be a good way to make money.

Writer and publisher Lloyd Arthur Eshbach, for example, reported Hubbard saying "I'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is." Writer Theodore Sturgeon reported that Hubbard made a similar statement at the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society. Likewise, writer Sam Moskowitz reported in an affidavit that during an Eastern Science Fiction Association meeting, Hubbard had said "You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."

The Church of Scientology denies that Hubbard ever made any such statement, and has sued at least one publisher, the German magazine Stern, for publishing claims that he did (Stern won the lawsuit). Members hold that the truth or falsity of such claims is irrelevant in judging whether the church meets their spiritual needs.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Strings

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 04:09:08 PM »
See,I LIKED Stranger in a Strange Land. It DID present an interesting viewpoint on our society, and RAH's views on organized religion were fairly close to my own (I do NOT like being told how to worship)...

Oh, it DOES make more sense if you read it in the original Martian: looses quite a bit in translation... :neener:

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 04:51:18 PM »
I've nothing of value to add except that I believe I hate the word 'grok' more than any other word I've ever heard. I had to google it for a definition.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Strings

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 05:34:28 PM »
SO you're saying you don' grok "grok"? :neener:

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 05:42:43 PM »
Speaking of the The Church of Scientology, I wonder if they've caught wind of the recent episode of South Park.  The one that ends with Stan Marsh saying...
Go ahead, sue me.  I DARE YOU!
after he learns ALL ABOUT the faith.
O you're saying you don' grok "grok"? :neener:
No, he's just not grokked it in fullness yet.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 05:51:45 PM »
AAHhhh, no one here can grok the rage I'm feeling from exposing my eyes to that word so much.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Greg Levy

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 07:34:45 PM »
Werewolf and most of the others seem to have come close to what I understand of the last half of the book.  

Stranger is not the only time he attacks religion...in Job he has it again.  While it seems he is picking on Chistianity a lot, I tend to see it more as an attack on anyone who goes along with the crowd, without researching and forming their own opinion first.  He was very big on researching your position rather than doing something on 'faith'.

The scene that sticks with me more than any oterh from Stranger is when he is discussing sculpture with Ben...it got me looking into Rodin's work, and realising the difference between 'art' and as Heinlein diescribes it...'intelectual masturbatio' that passes as modern art.

greg

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 11:03:32 AM »
Quote from: jfruser
SIASL is the only RAH book I started but did not finish.

I have read a bunch of his books & IMO, SISL did not measure up the the rest I have read.
I finished it, but agree that it wasn't as good as his other stuff.  At the time I read it, it was only the second Heinlein book I had read and I considered not reading any of his other books.  I am glad I went on to others.  Every author is entitled to a few "stinkers."
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.