Author Topic: Is it too soon to speculate on 2012 primaries?  (Read 11307 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Is it too soon to speculate on 2012 primaries?
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:35:09 PM »
I see all kinds of names being tossed around already. The usual suspects like Huckabee  [barf] and Romney  [barf] [barf] :facepalm: as well as seemingly every R governer in the union.

The way I see it, modern presidential campaigns start very far in advance of the actual election cycle, so we should be able to tell who's gearing up for a run by who is doing the most serious fund raising right now, right?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: Is it too soon to speculate on 2012 primaries?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »
The also-rans will try to get their name out early, but usually an unknown comes out and shines to get the nod.  It's early, that can get traction will and those that don't will drop.  I think that Huckabee's roll in sticking us with McCain will prove his undoing.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:04:14 AM »
First or second primary or caucus is critical to future fund raising.  Can't produce a win in the first few and it is over.  At least it used to be that way.  Budget realities may change how primaries are conducted.  Dick Morris thinks the republican primary will in essence be conducted on FOX in a series of debates.

We'll see.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »
I'm hoping for Allen West. I like his style. Plus hearing the leftists, Dems, and the race pimps scream "Uncle Tom Race Traitor!", and generally getting their racism on (and there will be a few "slips" with the use of the N-word by that side, too) on national TV would be an interesting experience...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »
Doesn't Romney have the largest war chest right now?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 01:51:36 PM »
Doesn't Romney have the largest war chest right now?

No, I think Palin does.

Oh. Wait. You meant money.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »
Yeah, it's too soon to tell anything.  Things won't begin to solidify until the summer and fall.

For now, just wait and watch.  And keep an open mind.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 06:45:29 PM »
No, I think Palin does.

Oh. Wait. You meant money.
:lol: [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:22:16 PM »
I speculate that any viable candidate will be unelectable once all the own party flung poo settles. I speculate that a centrist will be picked and then people will stay home in apathy because "he ain't no different than Obama." Then I speculate that we will get the government we deserve, a 2nd term where re-election is not a concern. Well, not re-election as we normally think about it. Maybe the 2015 Supreme court will get rid of those pesky term limits by a 7-2 margin, with those last two bitter clingers Roberts and Thomas dissenting.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 10:07:01 PM »
Dingbat Huckabee has a new book out with a garish 100% red cover and backdrop.  Noticed it at Barnes & Noble today.  Resisted the urge to flip all the display copies backwards, like I used to do with any Michael Moore video I'd see at the video store.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 11:23:36 PM »
Can someone refresh my memory on what's wrong with Huck?

My theory, not that I'm any good at calling these things, is that some of the better candidates will not want to run against Obama, just based on the strength of his '08 campaign. They'll prefer to wait until '16, when they can run against someone who's not Obama.

Of course, the smarter move might be to capitalize on the Tea Party groundswell soonest, and before the GOP House (and maybe by 2016 a GOP Senate) has a chance to stupid their party out of favor again.

Then again, I'm still not seeing a clear leader on our side, anyway. And I don't want another potential leader like Palin or Jindal to make the mistake of hitting the national spot light before they're ready for it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 11:28:14 PM »

He's a populist.

He's a closet pro-union guy.

He's as two-faced as McCain.

He's all slick and no traction.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 11:37:06 PM »

My theory, not that I'm any good at calling these things, is that some of the better candidates will not want to run against Obama, just based on the strength of his '08 campaign. They'll prefer to wait until '16, when they can run against someone who's not Obama. ..........

I don't recall Obama's campaign in '08 being all that strong.  He blew it with his response to the "Joe the Plumber" matter and the Romanesque columns business with his nomination was overblown, tacky, arrogant and *****.
What I recall is a poplation tired of Bush, frightened of a horrible economic downturn, and eager to buy into a cheap campaign slogan ...."hope and change." [barf]

Of course, McCain's lackluster campaigning also came into play.  One moment .... there was ONE MOMENT where he was inspirational, the "will you work with me" imploration, which was spoken with a heartfulness that was very effective.  But it was one moment, a few seconds, and that just doesn't cut it.  Everything else was blahhhhh, who cares, I wanna be prez', blah blah. 
Having said that, I must admit some trepidation about who will run in '12.   Our best bet will be the economy will still stink (yeah that's a cheery prospect.. :mad: ..) or some international incident will occur that will highlight Obama's weak points.

Politics ..... [barf]

.....And I wonder why I've neen depressed so much these past couple of years ..... [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 01:35:17 AM »
I don't recall Obama's campaign in '08 being all that strong.  He blew it with his response to the "Joe the Plumber" matter and the Romanesque columns business with his nomination was overblown, tacky, arrogant and *****.
What I recall is a poplation tired of Bush, frightened of a horrible economic downturn, and eager to buy into a cheap campaign slogan ...."hope and change." [barf]

Of course, McCain's lackluster campaigning also came into play.  One moment .... there was ONE MOMENT where he was inspirational, the "will you work with me" imploration, which was spoken with a heartfulness that was very effective.  But it was one moment, a few seconds, and that just doesn't cut it.  Everything else was blahhhhh, who cares, I wanna be prez', blah blah. 

I feel the same way, but I also found his celebrated oratory skills unbearable. If I'm in the minority on one, maybe it's true of the other. Or to put it another way, I can't entirely dismiss his style of campaigning, even if it leaves me ice cold.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 05:32:11 AM »

Norris/Nugent all the way.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
Obama took down the Clinton Machine before being blessed with Bush/McCain/Palin as a general election opponent.  I don't presume to know enough about what it took to beat Hillary, but that was a much tougher struggle than the baby-seal-hunt general election.  Don't underestimate his team.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 07:58:52 AM »
Quote from: Fistful
Two points which haven't been made:  First, he's a musical instrument playing, small state southern governor who far more oily than need be. Didn't work out well last go'roud.  Second, even his political enemies say he is far too accommodating to ruling elites.

So let's put it in a nutshell.  Huckabee is a pseudo-populist who sucks up to the elite.  He is a relocated New England republican, a political combination we do not need.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 12:34:21 PM »
Obama took down the Clinton Machine before being blessed with Bush/McCain/Palin as a general election opponent.  I don't presume to know enough about what it took to beat Hillary, but that was a much tougher struggle than the baby-seal-hunt general election.  Don't underestimate his team.
You're right but this isn't really what I consider "true" campaigning; it's "behind-the-scenes" "cloak & dagger" stuff.  There's no doubt he did a good job via Clinton, however, that really involves having people with the know-how, where-withal and  *POWER*  to accomplish the dirty deeds.
How a candidate presents himself to the electorate is another matter.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 04:10:17 PM »
He's a populist.

He's a closet pro-union guy.

He's as two-faced as McCain.

He's all slick and no traction.

[Huckabee] And soft on illegal immigration (like most of them).
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 04:12:51 PM »
A gray man in a gray suit with a gray middle-of-the-road pseudo-conservative posture is not going to win either the election or the hearts and minds of the Great Unbrainwashed.  If the GOP wants to have a future they're going to have to nominate someone who can really turn the nightmare around without pulling punches or relying on b.s.  There aren't too many out there who fit that bill far as I can see.  Col. West might be one.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 04:37:26 PM »
Reply #8
I speculate that any viable candidate will be unelectable once all the own party flung poo settles.

Reply #9

Mmmm, psychic this one he is. Mmmm.   =D =D

Just having fun. I have already accepted that we will get a less than ideal candidate and Obama will probably get re-elected, most likely on the backs of Congress being a circus the next two years and he can point and say that the new republicans did it. As opposed to the circus that got us here. My handicapping is 1% chance of accidentally getting a good canditate, 70% chance of Obama defeating whoever gets nominated, 99% chance that Gore/Bush 2000 will look completely free and fair after this next one is over.
AKA Navy Joe   

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 09:23:01 PM »
I have a friend who does consulting down in Columbia who says he has been working with Newt's people. Come to think of it I think Drudge said he was going to declare next week.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 01:03:32 AM »
Newt, another unelectable candidate (should he actually get the nod).
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 01:05:03 AM »
Yep, folks on both sides have wagons of pre-positioned poo to fling at Newt. Sad, he's not exactly a dumb guy.
AKA Navy Joe   

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 04:02:26 AM »
The stupid party will run the same ole establishment jackwagons they always do, the names may be different but that's the only change.
Obama will get relected, the "tea party" wave will fizzle and the dems will retake the house and make gains in the senate.
Then in December the world will end so no biggee.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams