Author Topic: Looking at 20 Years in Prison for Feeding a Whale  (Read 11728 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Looking at 20 Years in Prison for Feeding a Whale
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:04:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure some murderers get less time than this. I'm thinking this might be worse than the British guy getting arrested for the racial slur. A fine maybe -- but 20 years? This MMPA stuff is WAY over-abused by the .gov.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/317451

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Looking at 20 Years in Prison for Feeding a Whale
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:34:10 AM »
Do you think she will actually get that much or is that just the prosecutor playing bad cop?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »
Is she being charged with feeding the whale or lying about feeding the whale?

If the latter, she's toast.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:12:24 AM »
Do you think she will actually get that much or is that just the prosecutor playing bad cop?

I don't for a second think she'll get twenty years or even any jail time. She'll get a very large fine. That's how MMPA and LMR enforcement works -- they're geared toward collecting fines that go into an enforcement fund that's used to continue going after people like this. Much like the War on Drugs with confiscation of property. It creates a climate of people who are more concerned about using the law as a funding opportunity than actually following the spirit of the law.

What I find completely appalling is that we actually have a law for which the maximum potentially penalty is 20 YEARS IN PRISON for feeding a whale, or even 20 years for what the law is supposed to be about - harassing marine mammals. Even if she was driving her boat around, chasing whales and shooting them with paintball guns, she shouldn't be open to a maximum punishment like that. I can't think of any "crime against whales" that would justifiably result in that maximum penalty. Especially when, as I mentioned earlier, people can get less time for murder, or child molestation, or any number of crimes that are more heinous than this.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »
I don't for a second think she'll get twenty years or even any jail time. She'll get a very large fine. That's how MMPA and LMR enforcement works -- they're geared toward collecting fines that go into an enforcement fund that's used to continue going after people like this. Much like the War on Drugs with confiscation of property. It creates a climate of people who are more concerned about using the law as a funding opportunity than actually following the spirit of the law.

What I find completely appalling is that we actually have a law for which the maximum potentially penalty is 20 YEARS IN PRISON for feeding a whale, or even 20 years for what the law is supposed to be about - harassing marine mammals. Even if she was driving her boat around, chasing whales and shooting them with paintball guns, she shouldn't be open to a maximum punishment like that. I can't think of any "crime against whales" that would justifiably result in that maximum penalty. Especially when, as I mentioned earlier, people can get less time for murder, or child molestation, or any number of crimes that are more heinous than this.

There is a large contingent of morally crippled folks who like whales more than children, born of otherwise, and prefer to see molestation of the whales more vigorously prosecuted.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »

"maximum potential penalty is 20 years" makes her a felon with loss of civil rights if she's convicted, even if she only actually gets a $50 fine and 2 weekends of community service.  (Where's the "rage" smiley?  I guess this will have to do...)  [barf]
"It's good, though..."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »
Meanwhile the whale was quoted as "WTF?  Do you know how hard it is to kill these things for dinner?"
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 07:45:21 PM »
And there are the two TSA employees who stole $40,000.00 out of somebody's luggage and they got 6 mos. in the county jail.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 11:41:43 AM »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 11:42:28 PM »
Does this also cover feeding those morbidly obese 600lb+ people who sit on their lazyboys for years straight, shitting and pissing themselves? Because I definitley support 20 years in jail for enabling that!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 01:14:40 AM »
And I recall a few years ago, when our Makah Native American tribe resumed their treaty rights to hunt whales off the Washington coast.  I thought that it would have been more sporting to use the traditional cedar canoes paddled by stout men, and using wooden harpoons.  But alas, they opted for outboards, a token metal harpoon and a Barrett .50 caliber to do the job.  Seems odd that this would not have been a 'crime against whales', to steal Ben's nice turn of phrase.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »
If this doesn't make clear who really runs America, nothing will.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 11:17:24 AM »
If this doesn't make clear who really runs America, nothing will.

The whales?   [tinfoil]
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 11:27:38 AM »
I, for one, hail our new whale overlords.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
 :facepalm:  This thread is going downhill at warp speed.   Whale overlords........ [tinfoil] ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
:facepalm:  This thread is going downhill at warp speed.   Whale overlords........ [tinfoil] ;/

As an exercise for the student, I will leave it to you to find out where this ranks in the APS meme list. 

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 12:03:07 PM »
As an exercise for the student, I will leave it to you to find out where this ranks in the APS meme list.  
=D  Ain't goin' there.  "Whale overlords" burned out too many circuits in my brain as it is. =D [tinfoil] :P
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:30:56 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »
Seems like "whale overloads" belongs in the "buzzing breaker" thread.  =D

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 05:32:34 PM »
Geesh.
I made that mistake when I typed the first response but I caught it and fixed it.
Somehow managed to flub it the next time though....
however I did edit it.    :angel: :police: :P

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 06:14:09 PM »
...all this blubbering and spouting off....
7-11 was a part time job.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 09:02:55 PM »
Rosie is now the enemy of the enviros.

But I thought they LIKED whales?  ???
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 09:10:06 PM »
...all this blubbering and spouting off....

Just needed a sounding board.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 09:33:12 AM »
You want to go all  :facepalm:?
Try reading, understanding, and then adhering to the federal saltwater fishing regulations. 
Besides *expletive deleted*it like mmpa, you've got closed and open seasons, special international regulations on some types of fish, secondary size limits in federal waters vs. state waters, gear and tackle requirements, reporting requirements, and the list goes on.
The *expletive deleted*ing frustrating thing?
If you go to the boat dealer and buy a boat, the tackle store and buy $5,000 in gear, buy a saltwater state license, fuel up your boat, head 30 miles off shore, nobody tells you about all the extra special federal *expletive deleted*it.  Especially the NOAA/NMFS migratory species acts.  You can slay the blackfin tuna, but one yellowfin tuna requires a $100 federal stamp.  Yeah, the fines are ridiculous if you get caught keeping that fish.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »
similar to "potomac river fisheries commission "  you need on board sat nav as well as a marine biologist on board to be safe.  particularly with rockfish
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I