Author Topic: Innernets connectivity question.  (Read 1797 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Innernets connectivity question.
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:10:33 PM »
I finally retired the DSL modem I've been using since 2003, in favor of a U-Verse residential gateway from AT&T. (Internet and VOIP, no TV.)

Since the old set-up never seemed to do better than about 150 Kbps, according to Firefox's pop-up window when downloading files, I figured the low-end, 3Mbps package would be a considerable increase in speed, while accomplishing the main objective of reducing our monthly payment.

Now, Firefox is reporting that downloads come in at about 350 Kbps. Right now, the gateway is claiming to provide 13,200 Kbps for downloads, 1528Kbps for uploads. I don't remember the speed the old modem claimed to deliver, which is why I'm using the Firefox figures for comparison.

So is one of these numbers the actual speed of my connection, or how should I understand these numbers?

Thanks.

Also, is it a good idea to SSID, or not to SSID? That is the other question.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:05:10 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Innernets connectivity question.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 11:26:28 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 11:36:42 PM »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:37:03 AM »
35.01 download, 5.01 upload on Comcast broadband (only because it's the only thing I can get besides dial-up).

It isn't all that bad - most of the time.

Now, besides the fact that my numbers are higher than Fistful's, what does it mean?  How bad should he feel in comparison?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:56:03 AM »
Now, Firefox is reporting that downloads come in at about 350 Kbps.
That's what Firefox is getting between you and the server you're downloading from.  That isn't a good indication of your raw speed (link congestion in route to server could affect speed)

I don't.  I figure it's an easy thing to turn off and anyone who should be connecting to your network will know the SSID. 

BTW, 30mbps/22mbps here. :D   Technically I'm 25/25, but VZ said that should be the minimum.  Yay FIOS!

Chris

[/quote]

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 06:58:31 AM »
I finally retired the DSL modem I've been using since 2003, in favor of a U-Verse residential gateway from AT&T. (Internet and VOIP, no TV.)

Since the old set-up never seemed to do better than about 150 Kbps, according to Firefox's pop-up window when downloading files, I figured the low-end, 3Mbps package would be a considerable increase in speed, while accomplishing the main objective of reducing our monthly payment.

Now, Firefox is reporting that downloads come in at about 350 Kbps. Right now, the gateway is claiming to provide 13,200 Kbps for downloads, 1528Kbps for uploads. I don't remember the speed the old modem claimed to deliver, which is why I'm using the Firefox figures for comparison.

So is one of these numbers the actual speed of my connection, or how should I understand these numbers?

Thanks.

The bandwidth you get on a download from some site depends on a whole lot more than just your connection to teh tubez.

Turn off the SSID.

Your speedtest results seem on par with your connection.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »
Double yay FIOS.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »
Most application-level file transfer speed reports are in bytes (B), and network traffic is measures in bits (b) which are 1/8 of a byte.

Your are paying for 3Mb/s which is 3076 Kb/s and appear to be getting 350 KB/s which is 2800 Kb/s
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 06:49:29 PM »
SSID off, no point in having it on. Mac addresses locked down. Only takes a minute to add something if the need should arise. Still haven't heard from Centurylink why my speeds aren't as advertised.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »
CNY beat me to it, but yes.  MegaBIT vs. MegaBYTE....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »
Buying on to U-verse gets you the worst customer service imaginable.  Just hope you never have to get hold of a genuine humanoid.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 09:59:55 PM »
Buying on to U-verse gets you the worst customer service imaginable.  Just hope you never have to get hold of a genuine humanoid.

I was already with AT&T, so...

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 10:23:05 PM »
SSID off, no point in having it on. Mac addresses locked down.

You can do this if you want, but it won't even slow down someone who knows what they're doing.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 10:31:45 PM »
You can do this if you want, but it won't even slow down someone who knows what they're doing.
I don't doubt that's true, but I'm certainly not going to give any advantage.

Now that I think on it, how would someone come at me? Spoofing/changing a mac isn't difficult. How would someone bypass my x number of random characters key? I'm not trying to prove anything, just wondering how to make my home network as secure as possible. Kiddo is on it frequently.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:52:59 PM by grislyatoms »

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 10:34:41 PM »

Makes me think back to my old 600 baud modem.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 10:36:52 PM »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 10:46:27 PM »
Most application-level file transfer speed reports are in bytes (B), and network traffic is measures in bits (b) which are 1/8 of a byte.

Your are paying for 3Mb/s which is 3076 Kb/s and appear to be getting 350 KB/s which is 2800 Kb/s

Oh. I see now that you are correct. Thanks.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 10:55:18 PM »
Sorry fistful, for the derailment. I'll create a new thread if you would like.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 11:00:45 PM »
No worries.