Author Topic: Comfy shoes - are these ugly?  (Read 5449 times)

Zsa-Zsa

• Remember folks, I'm 12.
Comfy shoes - are these ugly?
« on: December 09, 2007, 06:07:39 PM »

Stand_watie here: Just got back from "The Walmarts" as folks around here call it, and got me a new pair of comfortable casual shoes. I think they're kind of ugly, but Erica didn't. Who's right (for a middle aged, unstylish, man)

I couldn't find a pic of the exact shoes I got online, but they are just about like these except they've got a little bit of stretchy fabric at the top and are darker brown, and don't have that white stitching around the toe.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: Comfy shoes - are these ugly?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 07:57:16 PM »
I'm not a fan of slip ons, think they look dorky. =p
But the ones in the pic look nice.  I'd say from your description, the ones in the pic probably look better. shocked
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Zsa-Zsa

• Remember folks, I'm 12.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 08:35:47 PM »
I'm not a fan of slip ons, think they look dorky. =p
But the ones in the pic look nice.  I'd say from your description, the ones in the pic probably look better. shocked

At your vigorous, youthful age, MBS, I don't expect you to get the idea of "slip ons". "Slip ons" are not intended for "full of life" young  teenagers and twenty-somethings, who have energy to spare (I think I recall you saying you're either a very late teenager or a very young twenty-something) tying shoes. Us middle aged people are fat and unvigorous, typically. We don't have extra energy to spare for tying shoes that don't really need to be tied.

Now, while I was picking out this particular pair of shoes at "the walmarts", Erica became amused and distracted by a pair of slippers that were obviously designed for elderly women. They were comfortable (looking, I didn't try them on), they were baby blue, they were fuzzy, and they had little bows on them... I told Erica, "those slippers are for peoplewho have utterly given up any shred of concern for what other wal-mart  shoppers think of them". I'm 37 now. I figure ten more years and then I'll be wearing the male version of those slippers when I shop.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 01:21:41 AM »
37 and you've given up on tying shoes already? Why I'm 50 and still tie mine. Of course finding slip on work boots is not the easiest thing to do...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 03:45:05 AM »
Hey!  I understand.  I just don't like slip ons.  They look dorky. Cheesy
I have flip flops for those lazy days and trips to the trash can.
Nothing says manly while dumping trash in flip flops with no socks on and a t-shirt with snow on the ground.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 04:18:19 AM »
They look like Merrell knockoffs.  I have several Merrell shoes and most of them don't look particularly stylish, but they make my feet grateful that they have me for a landlord.

Happy feet make for a happy person.

When I was a lad, I worked in a drugstore.  The elderly pharmacist (he was over 100 when he passed away)  Said you should change shoes 3 times a day.  By doing so, you will feel much better overall.  I've followed that advice for many years.  I think he was right.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 04:27:01 AM »
Nothing says manly while dumping trash in flip flops with no socks on and a t-shirt with snow on the ground.

Wow, taking out the trash in flip flops and a t-shirt, that'll turn yer danglies into raisins pretty quick! angel grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

atomd

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 04:29:13 AM »
I have several Merrell shoes and most of them don't look particularly stylish, but they make my feet grateful that they have me for a landlord.

I agree. Merrell makes great shoes. They may look strange but they feel great. I've broken the shank in a brand new pair during a 3 or so mile hike (I was walking on tons of roots and large rocks). You can't be as hard on them as hiking boots of course even though their advertising might suggest otherwise. The only other issue is that some models seem to have much better arch support than others. Overall they are really good. I like new balance too.

Paddy

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 06:16:02 AM »
They're wide at the toe end and narrow at the heel end.  Look like they'd fit a duck.  laugh

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 06:20:11 AM »
All the thirty-something hipster dufuses in my office wear those things sans socks.  laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 06:28:53 AM »
Those shoes look like would be good for flying ( going through security  rolleyes ).

My daily wear is a pair of "packers" (lace up cowboy boots).  I feel like I am barefoot when wearing low cut shoes on an airline trip.  angry
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 06:34:14 AM »
I don't know if they're ugly but, where the heck do ya put the pennies?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 07:32:54 AM »
they look about like the shoes I wear everyday. i got mine at shoe carnival.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 09:45:39 AM »
Hey, a 21 year old here and I enjoy slip on shoes.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 09:50:13 AM »
Hey, a 21 year old here and I enjoy slip on shoes.

Just goes to prove the youth of today are as strange as us soon-to-be old farts think they are.  grin

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 09:53:27 AM »
Those are severely ugly.

only slip-ons I've owned are a pair of Doc Martens chelsea-style boots -

even those aren't as nice as my usual eight-eye Docs.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Paddy

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 10:05:40 AM »
I know somebody here is wearing slipon loafers with little tassles {{snort}}.  C'mon now, you know who you are.......step up and 'come out' as it were........{{snicker}}............ laugh

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 10:19:37 AM »
I don't think they are particularly ugly.  What kind of pants do you plan to wear them with, jeans?

Personally, I don't like slip ons.  After riding a motorcycle for a bit, I prefer lace up boots.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
I've got pair of slip-ons similar to that.  They're great for looking semi-respectable in a hurry (vs. the inmate issue flip-flops that seem to be popular).  I only wear them with socks and slacks.  I imagine they'd stink up fast with bare feet in them.

Riley, I have some of those tassled loafers you speak of.  I rarely wear them.  They don't really look right on me - somewhat like ballet slippers on a bull.  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 01:01:55 PM »
It appears that I've stumbled into the women's section of APS.......We're discussing shoes ??   rolleyes

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 01:36:57 PM »

Not very stylish for a 12y.o. girl.......maybe your dad might like them.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 04:31:46 PM »

Wow, taking out the trash in flip flops and a t-shirt, that'll turn yer danglies into raisins pretty quick! angel grin

Heh, doesn't snow here much actually.  Dangles in the 35s or so most of the winter (though it was like 60-some today) but conditions just hardly get right for snow.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 05:23:03 PM »

Comfy shoes - are these ugly?

If you have to ask? grin

They look OK.  Not my taste but..

they look dorky

"dorky" -- yeah, that's the word.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.