Author Topic: Breaking news in MA---> School in lockdown  (Read 2715 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
One day at a time.

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
Re: Breaking news in MA---> School in lockdown
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 06:01:49 AM »
Even if the principal thinks a lockdown would be overreaction, these days he would probably get fired by sheeple/hoplphobe parents if he didn't.

When I was in middle school in the early 90s, a kid brought a gun to school (he stole it from home; I believe it was his father's who was a cop) and gave it to someone who sat next to me in class.  I think they just thought it was nifty to walk around with a pistol in their backpacks.  They weren't threatening anyone with it.  The guy next to me was going on about how scared he was now that he had accepted it.  I wasn't sure if he was lieing, but I didn't ask him to show me anyway.  But in a later period he got stupid and exposed it somehow, a girl saw it and told the teacher, and I never saw the guy again.  The school never announced it, even though word spread very quickly, and the principal didn't put the place in lockdown.  But that was before the school shootings started in the mid/late 90s.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 06:03:46 AM »
They just locked down one in Manchester yesterday because a construction worker walked by with a nailgun. A big, freaking pneumatic one that needs a compressor and tank to work.

I am so embarrassed. NH does not generally respond with the same jump-at-shadows idiocy, or didn't use to. :/

"Lockdown" is the media's favorite word. It's passed "rehab".

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 06:26:48 AM »
Boston!  Where the local officials can't tell the difference between a lightbright toy and a terrorist attack.  Is it any surprise they don't know how to sanely deal with a BB gun?

member1313

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 06:36:42 AM »
We still have the highest mean IQ in the country, so stuff it. Smiley

Besides, a skittish principal isn't representative of the entire state.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 06:47:14 AM »

Don't you mean just mean?

Bostonites are incredibly rude. Like...I thought New Yorkers were rude, but Bostonites probably wouldn't put out a person who was on fire if they were holding a hose, they'd put it down and resume yapping in their cellphone at volume 11 instead. It's like a "screw you, rest of humanity" level of rude.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 06:59:50 AM »
Boston.  Isn't that where they don't even know how to dig a hole without it taking 20 years?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 07:01:00 AM »
Boston.  Isn't that where they don't even know how to dig a hole without it taking 20 years?

And then, countless billions in graft costs later, it leaks like a sieve and drops multi-ton slabs of concrete on vehicles.

member1313

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 07:08:47 AM »

Don't you mean just mean?

Bostonites are incredibly rude. Like...I thought New Yorkers were rude, but Bostonites probably wouldn't put out a person who was on fire if they were holding a hose, they'd put it down and resume yapping in their cellphone at volume 11 instead. It's like a "screw you, rest of humanity" level of rude.

Many Bostonians are rude.

However, after being in both NYC and Boston, I can safely say I feel safer in Boston, but would not talk to a stranger in NYC.

I like NYC itself better, but when I'm flipped off twice by adults in NYC because I was wearing my favorite Red Sox hat, I can't help but laugh when people put Boston above NYC in terms of rudeness.

Nobody flips off an 11 year-old kid for wearing a hat. That's rude. (I'm 20 now; I was roughly 11 years-old when I went to NYC.)

Just to clarify: I meant "mean IQ" as in the "mean average." I know you were just joking, but we both know someone will come along and ask, "What's a 'mean IQ?' This guy is a dolt!"

Smiley

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 07:17:57 AM »
Thing is, though, Bostonian rude is a selfish rude, NYC rude is more of a cultural art form.

And when 9/11 happened, people were helping strangers. They might be rude, but if someone hits them, they all become "just New Yorkers", and someone messed with THEIR city. The big power failure also didn't result in riots, but instead a lot of cookouts and impromptu street concerts. It's "their city", and while I don't admire the politics, I have to admire that. They do have a certain level of toughness. It's a dirty, harsh city in parts, and they love it anyway, and survive there.

Boston? I have a feeling that a 9/11 there, something smacking into the Prudential tower, would be more like mass panic and shoving and people stepping on each other, just looking out for themselves. Places like Cambridge, the populace would just be utterly helpless and whine for the government to help them. There's a selfishness, but none of the toughness of NYC.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 07:46:15 AM »
Hey, the 3 guys that tried to jump me in Boston Commons this past summer were pretty tough. cheesy grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 09:01:24 AM »
Hey, the 3 guys that tried to jump me in Boston Commons this past summer were pretty tough. cheesy grin

Exactly, they tried.  New Yorkers would have succeeded!  cheesy

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 09:11:10 AM »
The rudest are in Cambridge.

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 09:19:42 AM »
Regarding rudeness in NYC, I have to say that watching someone cuss someone out in Yiddish is like watching a flamethrower in operation.  cheesy

You don't need to understand the language, your ears burn anyway, you know those are baaaaaad words, just in how they're not spoken...they're spit. And it's usually not just one, or two, it's often a stream of guttural syllables that just sound so vicious that you'd swear the sky might darken with rolling clouds and thunder if they keep it up.  grin

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 09:45:25 AM »
You know, I just heard there is an APS member who has a gun within reach as I type this  shocked  Since we have children on board, should we lock ourselves down?  At least until we are all armed. laugh
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 09:51:57 AM »
That's a great idea-

After all, it's for the children.

Someone quick, call a mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(checks- yup, J Frame still in pocket)
One day at a time.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 10:02:03 AM »
You know, I just heard there is an APS member who has a gun within reach as I type this  shocked  Since we have children on board, should we lock ourselves down?  At least until we are all armed. laugh

SIG in day planner, Jetfire in coat inner pocket. I think most of us are, indeed, armed here.  grin

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 10:05:12 AM »
We can't be.

We're all getting along FOR THE MOST PART.

Every knows that if we had guns we'd all kill each other.

One day at a time.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 10:19:34 AM »
P-32 in pocket. I don't know, I worked in both cities, always got along with everybody in both places. (even Dorcester) Of course working there is a lot different than being a tourist there. (either place)

I went back to NYC a couple years ago with a few noobs, no matter how hard I tried I just could NOT stop them from looking and acting like tourists. I was so embarrassed, I didn't want to be seen with them.

Standing in line waiting to go up the Empire State building I did my best Brooklyn accent imitation of "Tony the Cab Driver" and had everybody around me cracking up. Trouble is I don't think there's been a cab driver named Tony in the city for at least 20 years now. ACHMED the cab driver however...  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

member1313

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 10:24:58 AM »
That's a great idea-

After all, it's for the children.

Someone quick, call a mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(checks- yup, J Frame still in pocket)
y do u have a gun

u culd hurt urself