Author Topic: Help Needed -- Converting Thunderbird Emails  (Read 861 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Help Needed -- Converting Thunderbird Emails
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:07:44 PM »
So my part of the gov is being sued and as per a FOIA request, I have to provide a bunch of my emails to all the attorneys by tomorrow. Does anyone know of a batch method to turn Tbird emails (with headers) into text files, or do I just have to do every stinking last one individually? I also can't concatenate them as they have to be individual files for legal purposes.

I saved them to a local folder in Tbird and was just gonna send that to the attorneys, hoping they could create a dummy Tbird account and just put everyone's emails into individual local folders, but apparently that's to complicated for them to figure out. Grrr.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

member1313

Re: Help Needed -- Converting Thunderbird Emails
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »
Do you have to give it to them physically or electronically?

You could just print each one out individually if they don't require electronic copies.

And may I ask why you're being sued?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 12:59:44 PM »
They need them electronically, else yeah, I woulda just fired up the printer. We're being sued because some blue whales were run over by commercial ships in the shipping lanes in the Santa Barbara Channel.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 01:49:01 PM »
Thunderchicken email folders are text files.  Unix mbox format.  You just have to dig down in your file system to the Thunderbird profile.

If it was me, I'd make a new folder in Thunderbird, copy all the messages I needed to to that, and give them a copy of that file.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 01:58:47 PM »
If it was me, I'd make a new folder in Thunderbird, copy all the messages I needed to to that, and give them a copy of that file.

That was my first recommendation, but they said they specifically want .txt or .html individual saved files.

I know....I know.....