Author Topic: Ok, I guess I'm behind the times... what does this bumpersticker mean?  (Read 3052 times)

Snowdog

• friend
While browsing "pro-gun" t-shirts and bumperstickers, I ran across this:

It was catagorized as pro-gun.  What does this mean? 

Snowdog

• friend
Re: Ok, I guess I'm behind the times... what does this bumpersticker mean?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 11:32:12 PM »
Ah, a co-worker just enlightened me what it means.  Why it was in the pro-gun section is beyond me. 

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 01:09:46 AM »
Ah, a co-worker just enlightened me what it means.  Why it was in the pro-gun section is beyond me. 

Are you gonna share with the rest of us? grin

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 01:28:14 AM »

Are you gonna share with the rest of us? grin
From the movie Top Gun, when they request a fly-by of the tower.  They do it anyway and the guy ends up spilling his coffee all over himself.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 02:53:11 AM »
And the whole sequence is BS.  Pure hollywood tripe.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 02:55:33 AM »
Jamis-

Consider your self warned. police

EVERYONE knows that what you see in the movies is real. grin
One day at a time.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 03:25:39 AM »
i don't remember a "ghostrider" in top gun. i thought it was refering to the nicolas cage movie.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 03:28:53 AM »
What is tripe about it? The spilling of coffee? Asking for permission?

I saw an F-15 do a low speed, low altitude, hard G turn flyby around the tower at Howard AFB, Panama. It was wicked cool!

Ghostrider refers to the mission designation, not the nickname of the pilot.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 03:36:24 AM »

I saw an F-15 do a low speed, low altitude, hard G turn flyby around the tower at Howard AFB, Panama. It was wicked cool!

My experience as a Marine Air Traffic Controller.  Maybe that's something them air force pukes do, but remember, the pilots in TG were Navy.  Unusual maneuvers on a stateside base are pretty rare, and the patterns are very structured.  Oh, and the tower doesnt use the mission callsigns unless its overseas in a combat environment.  He would have been in touch with the tower using his squadron callsign and flight number.  00 is the CO, 01 is the XO, then typically the rest of the squadron is another number.  Bat 21.  Snake 06.  Etc.  Oh, and a pilot doing erratic unapproved maneuvers in the Navy or Corps would have probably been taken off the boards for awhile, possibly with an official reprimand.
But its Hollywood fantasy land.  Anything can happen there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 04:23:29 AM »

My experience as a Marine Air Traffic Controller.  Maybe that's something them air force pukes do, but remember, the pilots in TG were Navy.  Unusual maneuvers on a stateside base are pretty rare, and the patterns are very structured.  Oh, and the tower doesnt use the mission callsigns unless its overseas in a combat environment.  He would have been in touch with the tower using his squadron callsign and flight number.  00 is the CO, 01 is the XO, then typically the rest of the squadron is another number.  Bat 21.  Snake 06.  Etc.  Oh, and a pilot doing erratic unapproved maneuvers in the Navy or Corps would have probably been taken off the boards for awhile, possibly with an official reprimand.

Yeah, but it's still a damn funny sequence...   Especially the second time it happens....   Smiley
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 04:44:47 AM »
I think a much more derivative, but funnier sticker would be

"Negative Xenu, your Thetans are Full"
I promise not to duck.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 04:49:46 AM »
Oh, and a pilot doing erratic unapproved maneuvers in the Navy or Corps would have probably been taken off the boards for awhile, possibly with an official reprimand.

1993-4 I worked for a grading and clearing company located just to the NE of NAS Oceana. A couple of afternoons a week, around 16:30 or so, someone would hotdog around the base in an F-14. High G turns, afterburners, etc. Quite a show, I used to love it.

Anyone around that area at the time remember this?
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 04:58:57 AM »
Oh, and a pilot doing erratic unapproved maneuvers in the Navy or Corps would have probably been taken off the boards for awhile, possibly with an official reprimand.

1993-4 I worked for a grading and clearing company located just to the NE of NAS Oceana. A couple of afternoons a week, around 16:30 or so, someone would hotdog around the base in an F-14. High G turns, afterburners, etc. Quite a show, I used to love it.

Anyone around that area at the time remember this?

Some bases have schduled Demo flights.  Kind of a showing off for the community and the base.  Hill AFB generally does thiers on Fridays.
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 05:45:20 AM »

Why do you hate Hollywood, and by extension, America?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 06:11:56 AM »

EVERYONE knows that what you see in the movies is real. reel.grin
[/quote]

There.  Fixed it fer ya.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 09:15:27 AM »
The first Marine Division rotated out of South Korea in late 1954 or early 1955, I disremember.  The Air Wing did a good-bye fly-by at several airbases.  I was stationed at the K-13 airbase at Kim-Po.  8th Fighter-bomber Wing, F-86s and F-94s.

The F4U Corsairs came in under the radar.  Loud mothers, when they're maybe twenty feet off the deck.  I'll swear the eagle on our Hq flagpole ducked!  An airman in the base control tower looked down on an incoming Corsair and jumped.

Lots of egg on commanders' faces:  Both the Wing and our ack-ack outfit.  Total surprise.  Real world, would have been total destruction. 
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 11:15:17 AM »

The point is, it does happen in real life. Whether its Air Force pukes (gee thanks) or flying swabbies. No need to get all testicle about it, its a movie. grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 11:19:34 AM »
The first Marine Division rotated out of South Korea in late 1954 or early 1955, I disremember.  The Air Wing did a good-bye fly-by at several airbases.  I was stationed at the K-13 airbase at Kim-Po.  8th Fighter-bomber Wing, F-86s and F-94s.

The F4U Corsairs came in under the radar.  Loud mothers, when they're maybe twenty feet off the deck.  I'll swear the eagle on our Hq flagpole ducked!  An airman in the base control tower looked down on an incoming Corsair and jumped.

Lots of egg on commanders' faces:  Both the Wing and our ack-ack outfit.  Total surprise.  Real world, would have been total destruction. 

It's not the tool, it's the man. Go Airedales!

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 02:15:31 PM »
Well, that's making a real good case for the old Corsair pilots. Seems to me, and I'm 33 years old and maybe behind the times some, but close air support and hit&run mission oughta be flown low with a quick in&out like that... blow up everything before the enemy wakes up.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 04:47:32 AM »
It was catagorized as pro-gun.

Top Gun is one of those cold-war 80's movies.  I suppose it's favored more by the pro-military, pro-gun population than by the "can't we all just get along" crowd.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 12:00:10 PM »
I'm with tyme (and that's a rhyme.)  It ain't pro-gun, but they figure gun people like military movies.  Marketing, dudes.  Marketing. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 07:04:59 AM »

I once saw stated in a documentary, that at least 10-15 years ago, the Air Force started seriously cracking down on stunts by pilots.  One example they gave is that B-52 crashing near an airport when the pilot tried to pull some stunt involving a very high-banked turn. 

I knew a former Navy Pilot once who was also a college professor, and he told us a story that occured just after WWII in Gainsville (FL) to illustrate the point of a compression shockwave (I think that's what it was called).  A newspaper in that city has just finished a new printing press, and it was covered in some kind of very large glass case for a sort of show-off event to the local town.  Some Navy jets were in the area (I believe they were the first operational type of jet used by the Navy) that were not capable of supersonic flight.  However, they did a high speed dive towards the printing press, then pulled up quickly.  Somehow this caused a comression shockwave in the air--basically a sonic boom, but without going supersonice--which continued down and shattered the enormous glass case.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 09:52:17 AM »
I once saw stated in a documentary, that at least 10-15 years ago, the Air Force started seriously cracking down on stunts by pilots.  One example they gave is that B-52 crashing near an airport when the pilot tried to pull some stunt involving a very high-banked turn.

Oh, they frowned upon at that time too, 1990. The pilot was National Guard (on rotation to Panama for drug interdiction) and I don't know if he got in trouble or not. Probably not much from his own command (they're pretty laid back) but if the Wing Commander was notified, ha may have gotten spanked. They could get away with a bit more down there than they could in the states.

I saw an F-16 tail walking down the runway one time, something usually reserved fro air shows.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 10:03:51 AM »

Oh, they frowned upon at that time too, 1990. The pilot was National Guard (on rotation to Panama for drug interdiction) and I don't know if he got in trouble or not. Probably not much from his own command (they're pretty laid back) but if the Wing Commander was notified, he may have gotten spanked.

As he should have.  That's a valuable aircraft and we'll need it against the Kilrathi.  grin

My favorite "Top Gun" quote to use in traffic is "Too close for missles, I'm switching to guns".  Usually accompanied by clicking my high beams on and off.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."