Author Topic: Moderators, this is Stand_Watie - can I get some help?  (Read 6198 times)

Zsa-Zsa

• Remember folks, I'm 12.
Moderators, this is Stand_Watie - can I get some help?
« on: December 09, 2007, 05:21:33 PM »
     I got locked out. Is the software screwed up, or is ex-Ma-hole playing a prank on me? Or deliberately kicking me off the board?

I get the "error" message "An Error Has Occurred!
That username does not exist"

BTW, I intended to spell your username just like you spell it in that thread title, I forgot you abbrieviate "Massachussetts", - that's the way I always "hear" your username in my head when I read it because I used to live in Maine and that's what Massachussettans are called in Maine...

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Moderators, this is Stand_Watie - can I get some help?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 05:55:08 PM »
From the little bit of access I have backstage your username and account seem to be fine. It looks like you''l have to wait for one of big honchos to check things out.
Andy

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 05:59:19 PM »
Ha Ha.  Stand's daughter is trying to hack his account.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 06:02:03 PM »
I don't know if this board software is case-sensitive on user names, but your user name is "Stand_watie" and you typed "Stand_Watie" at the top of this thread.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Zsa-Zsa

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 06:11:45 PM »
I don't know if this board software is case-sensitive on user names, but your user name is "Stand_watie" and you typed "Stand_Watie" at the top of this thread.

Heh, heh. I did that at first too. Then I went back and back and back through roundtable discussions until I found one of my old posts and copied down my username exactly. No luck... angry

Zsa-Zsa

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 06:29:34 PM »
From the little bit of access I have backstage your username and account seem to be fine. It looks like you''l have to wait for one of big honchos to check things out.

You can do this for me. My last post as Stand_watie was to "Ex-MA Hole" in "amongst friends". I was bragging on the fact that I figured out how to upload an avatar, and that I used a picture of Bowser's face as my avatar, like he did his pooches face, and I invited him to come with me and go dig up the yard...BUT I misstated his username...Instead of calling him Ex-MA Hole, I called him "Ex-ma**hole", I thought possibly some moderator thought I was (deliberately) being obcene or insulting on the forum. I wasn't, I was literally just misremembering his username.  Tell me if the post is still there. If it is, that's not the problem.

My other scenario, other than just a software screw-up, is that when I went into my profile and added Bowser's face as my avatar, I might have somehow screwed up my username or password.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 06:33:43 PM »
Have you tried sending your password to yourself?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Zsa-Zsa

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 06:35:33 PM »
P.S. a "By-The-Way" for all posters, that is sweet little Zsa Zsa's (the pooch, not the 12 year old girl) hairy mug on this avatar.

Poor Zsa Zsa. Rest in peace. Mean ol' Wiley Coyote got her almost exactly two weeks ago.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 08:28:01 PM »
Your account looks okay on this end. We can try setting up a new temp password and emailing it to you or PMing it to the Zsa Zsa account if you want. (unless one of the other admins catches something I missed).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Zsa-Zsa

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 08:57:53 PM »
Your account looks okay on this end. We can try setting up a new temp password and emailing it to you or PMing it to the Zsa Zsa account if you want. (unless one of the other admins catches something I missed).

Please do so to both my email and my "Zsa Zsa" PM address. 

my email: andrewew@hotmail.com

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 12:58:13 AM »
Relax-

No one on this end did anything- swearing slips through on occasion- it's not the end of the world.

I'll look and see what happened....
One day at a time.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 01:08:51 AM »
I don't see anything on this end-  Your account is showing as active, no bannings in your history.  I have no idea, but we'll fix.

email me to the email address that I will PM you, and let me know where your accounts stand, we'll fix it.

Give me about 2-3 hours to get dressed, comb and braid my back hair, and to get into work.

Oh, and relax, you're not banned, no one here did anything, I've been called a lot worse that masshole.

M

One day at a time.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 01:19:29 AM »
Yea, I remember that time someone alled you a "&#$!#!!", they didn't get banned either...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 03:51:48 AM »
Coming from an IT perspective, this looks like a social engineering tactic...

If so, nice!
 grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 05:40:26 AM »
OK, I'm going to go in and check it out.

On your end, try flushing your temporary internet files.

If that doesn't work, we'll move on to flushing cookies.

I suspect that it MIGHT be a caching issue.

I'm also seeing your user name as Stand_watie, no capitalization on the W.

If that doesn't work, then I'll go in, change your password, try logging in as you, and see what happens.

E-mail me at mirwin2@csc.com with an active e-mail account to which you'll have access today.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Zsa-Zsa

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 06:03:10 AM »
OK, I'm going to go in and check it out.

On your end, try flushing your temporary internet files.

If that doesn't work, we'll move on to flushing cookies.

I suspect that it MIGHT be a caching issue.

I'm also seeing your user name as Stand_watie, no capitalization on the W.

If that doesn't work, then I'll go in, change your password, try logging in as you, and see what happens.

E-mail me at mirwin2@csc.com with an active e-mail account to which you'll have access today.

OIG Mike. That's right, I didn't say "arrgh", "UUrgg" or "Ackk". I said "Oig". that's a special internet term for "I don't know what the heck you're talking about"... I'm going to have to call up "stetson" now.. he is one of those smart guys who knows how computers work, and ask him what this "try flushing your temporary internet files." is. Then I'll ask him what "flushing cookies" is.

then if that doesn't work, I'm throwing this whole stupid computer away, and going out and buying another...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 06:25:11 AM »
Sigh...

OK, I'm assuming you're using Internet Explorer.

click Tools (top of the screen, above the standard button bar that has back, search, etc.)

click Internet Options

click the General tab if it's not what comes up automatically.

look at the center of the popup box and click Delete Files

Click OK.

That will take a few seconds to complete.

Once that happens, try logging in again.

I suspect, because you and Zsa Zsa are using the same computer, that it's a caching issue.

I really hope to avoid deleting all of your cookies, because that will wipe out not only the bad stuff but the good cookies (passwords for other sites, etc.) as well.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 06:29:13 AM »
I like cookies.
One day at a time.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 06:35:05 AM »
In case you're using Firefox, you can goto:
 tools/options/privacy/show cookies

and just get rid of the armedpolitesociety.com cookie(s) to start with. Then if that doesn't work you can dump all cookies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 06:36:06 AM »
Ben,

No, the first thing he should do is flush the cache first.

How do you do that in Firefox?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 06:40:21 AM »
He goes to the same place, but further down is "clear private data". You can either "clear all now" or else it lets you go in and choose what data you want to clear (temps, cookies, etc) while preserving the rest.

EDIT: Or to be really sure, he could download and run Crap Cleaner.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 06:47:52 AM »
That will take a few seconds to complete.

Or possibly many many many minutes  shocked

In the meantime, you will not be doing much of anything with your computer.  Good thing to do when you have something else to do for a while. Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 06:56:52 AM »
Preserving all of the non-APS related cookies is probably a good idea, as it means less hassle in the long run.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 09:40:40 AM »
Stand-

Did you get this fixed yet?
One day at a time.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 11:40:18 AM »
Have you tried resetting your modem?
One day at a time.