Author Topic: ANOTHER Vacation?!??  (Read 4868 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
ANOTHER Vacation?!??
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:23:40 AM »
Really?

Does our President spend any time in the White House?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=11550156

He's going to Camp David this afternoon. He just got back from Martha's Vineyard!

I'm beginning to believe these people who say Obama won't run in 2012. He doesn't even want to be president now.

I'm starting to think he expected a start at 9 (or 9:30) clock out at 5 job. After all, if that moron Bush did it, it couldn't be that hard, right?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: ANOTHER Vacation?!??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »
I think Dubya entered the oval office at 7:00AM each morning .....

In any case, I would be very pleased to see Obama go on as many vacations as he wants, whenever .... all the time ..... provided of course he'd leave work in the oval office. >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:42:33 PM »
"Vacation" for the president ain't exactly a vacation.

All the infrastructure of the office is made redundant at all the vacation stops he routinely uses.

Camp David is practically White House v2.0. 

Bush's house in Crawford was also tricked out as a secondary White House while he was Prez.

I'm willing to bet that his daughters and wife hate the White House, and like the alternate locations better.

I don't condemn the man for taking these "vacations."  I doubt he gets much vacation time in, on them.  I condemn the man for his policies.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:52:40 PM »
Yeah, I doubt he's actually getting a vacation in the same meaning of the word as most of us.  I know from my own experience that it is almost impossible to get 100% away from work while on vacation and I'm not a high level executive. 

My last vacation trip included 2 conference calls and  plenty of email.  That was after canceling the other half dozen scheduled calls for that week and informing folks for a month leading up to my vacation that I was going away for the entire week.

Chris

BMacklem

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 01:33:16 PM »
Although I would agree with you on principle that a "vacation" for a president isn't exactly like a real vacation, but I do wonder if Obama seems to think it *should* be like a real vacation. The now famous quote of "come on guys we're buying shrimp here.." comes to mind.
Even when he isn't off on vacation, he seems to spend more time fundraising, giving speeches, and shilling for his democrat friends than anything presidential.
Let's not forget golf, basketball, and dinners.
This man is the least presidential person I have ever seen.

Now onto those "vacations".... I wonder how much taxpayer money has been used up in all these vacations that he's taking.

He really needs to get a clue, and fast.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:52:42 PM »

All the infrastructure of the office is made redundant at all the vacation stops he routinely uses.

Bush's house in Crawford was also tricked out as a secondary White House while he was Prez.

I'm willing to bet that his daughters and wife hate the White House, and like the alternate locations better.

I don't condemn the man for taking these "vacations."  I doubt he gets much vacation time in, on them.  I condemn the man for his policies.

Well said. There are enough bones to pick with the O without drifting into vagaries.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 04:59:26 PM »

The president is supposed to be working, even when he's on vacation, I understand that.

Something is more than a little strange about how often this president goes on vacation, though.

I'm beyond the point where I wonder what the press would say if Bush took this many vacations (and I'm sure I could link what they said about far fewer ones) and am now wondering what is going on.

I know I don't recall Clinton taking this many vacations. Nor George H.W. Bush.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 05:05:32 PM »

Indeed.

We all know that the President is never fully off the clock, even when he's on vacation.  But a President's vacation is still down time compared to the normal routine, he's still doing a lot less official business than when he's in the White House.

So why is Obama so averse to doing the job?  I think mak is correct to surmise that he doesn't like the job.  He may like being President, but he doesn't appear to care much for the work that comes with it.

There are enough bones to pick with the O without drifting into vagaries.
This isn't picking a bone with the man, this is observing his behavior and interests.  Again, mak might be right that the man doesn't care for the job and won't bother with reelection in 2012.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:17:55 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »
Yeah, I doubt he's actually getting a vacation in the same meaning of the word as most of us.  I know from my own experience that it is almost impossible to get 100% away from work while on vacation and I'm not a high level executive. 

My last vacation trip included 2 conference calls and  plenty of email.  That was after canceling the other half dozen scheduled calls for that week and informing folks for a month leading up to my vacation that I was going away for the entire week.

Chris

Dude you gotta come to the BW with me sometime. Short of a satellite phone no one is going to be in communication with you.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »
I will admit that "vacation" makes for an excellent excuse to avoid the press.  The shrimp thing being a prime example.

The press doesn't have the hotel budget and infrastructure to do their jobs wherever he goes on vacation.  They do, in the DC beltway.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 05:21:39 PM »
The perception (which may or may not be close to reality) is that Obama is taking more vacations away from what is considered a second White House (eg. Camp David), where he could continue to conduct some of the business of the POTUS.
Whereas Bush2 often went to Camp David or his ranch in Crawford, TX for downtime, both locations being set up for working vacations.
Perceptions often trump reality.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 10:13:40 PM »
As the new general manager at my job might say, he's "working remotely." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ronnyreagan

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 11:15:06 PM »
Something is more than a little strange about how often this president goes on vacation, though.

I'm beyond the point where I wonder what the press would say if Bush took this many vacations (and I'm sure I could link what they said about far fewer ones) and am now wondering what is going on.

Could you elaborate on what exactly is strange about it? I don't suppose it's the fact that he's taken less vacation than his predecessor?
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 11:42:11 PM »
Could you elaborate on what exactly is strange about it? I don't suppose it's the fact that he's taken less vacation than his predecessor?

I think the perception is because Bush when to his ranch.   Obama and his family have gone to a lot more exotic locations.  

Personally, I don't mind the vacation thing.  I do admit I roll my eyes a bit.  But I do think part of the anger is due to the bad times.  I know of very few folks scheduling elaborate vacations, and those few have more to do with "important" events (honeymoon, etc) than just routine summer vacations.  Most folks who haven't had a real vacation in a couple years due to the economy sucking, they're not going to be very sympathetic to the First Lady vacationing in Spain, then Maine, then Martha's Vineyard, etc etc.  People see "stay at home vacations" as counting as far less than vacations in 'exotic' locations, and are more sympathetic to a President staying at his own home for a bit.

Just saying, there's a difference between "That's not a good PR idea" and "He shouldn't be doing that for (whatever reason)."  

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 04:18:04 PM »
We'd be best served if Obama and Congress all took extended vacations, non-working.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 08:44:45 PM »
We'd be best served if Obama and Congress all took extended vacations, non-working.
.....and unpaid.

I remember people trying to criticize Bush for being in Crawford and such a lot.  Obama should take his lumps and deal with it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 09:18:47 AM »
I read somewhere that Bush didn't charge boarding for the SS at the Crawford ranch. 
Also, the ranch is a fixed location, isolated, and easy to control.  Not much disruption for the common folk.  All the flitting about here and there by the Obamas disrupts alot of people's lives, commerce, and costs us beaucoup bucks. 
Really what bothered me the most, though, was the Michelle Obama vacation.  She is living like a Real Housewife of DC while the common folk are struggling to make ends meet all across the country.  She could have at least had the courtesy to spend all that money in country, instead of overseas.  At least the family vacations have been in the US.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
JamisJockey, I think their vacations, and especially Mrs. Obama's, are symptomatic of a larger problem the Obama's have, that being a complete disconnect with regular Americans. They've lived in an academic and intellectual bubble for their adult lives, one that's entirely different than what the average middle class American experiences.

They're very bright people, but they have no sense of public relations (or so it would seem). They're not in tune with us, so Michelle Obama probably didn't see how her "first time I'm proud of my country" remarks would be received by most people, nor can she see how people who are hurting look at her globe-trotting to exotic locales.

Clinton, Bush I & Bush II, and Reagan would all have realized that you don't take expensive and frequent highly visible vacations when 10% of the people are out of work. But Clinton, the two Bushes, and Reagan weren't ivy league elites.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 07:21:10 PM »
But Clinton, the two Bushes, and Reagan weren't ivy league elites.

Is this supposed to be sarcasm or do you use a different definition of "ivy league elite"?
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 07:27:45 PM »
I guess one way to describe Obama and the Mrs. would be to call them educated idiots.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »
I guess one way to describe Obama and the Mrs. would be to call them educated idiots.
:laugh:  That's funny & pithy .....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 10:40:06 PM »
Is this supposed to be sarcasm or do you use a different definition of "ivy league elite"?

What I meant was the ivy league intellectual elite, the professors, etc, not the mere graduates. I guess I didn't do a good job communicating that.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 10:52:13 PM »
Nothing Ivy League about Reagan.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »
I read somewhere that Bush didn't charge boarding for the SS at the Crawford ranch. 
Also, the ranch is a fixed location, isolated, and easy to control.  Not much disruption for the common folk.  All the flitting about here and there by the Obamas disrupts alot of people's lives, commerce, and costs us beaucoup bucks. 
Really what bothered me the most, though, was the Michelle Obama vacation.  She is living like a Real Housewife of DC while the common folk are struggling to make ends meet all across the country.  She could have at least had the courtesy to spend all that money in country, instead of overseas.  At least the family vacations have been in the US.

I normally don't do "+1", but....

+1

Everything you said, and what Monkeyleg said too about the past presidents. Reagan hung out at his ranch as well. I can't remember what Ford did, but I think even Carter (who I can't stand politically) was happy just going fishing.

It's not even just the economy argument to me. As you said, it's the commotion and disruption of the fancy vacations. As I've said before, I don't begrudge any president a vacation, but stuff like the Spain trip and "romantic" trips to NYC should wait till Obama is out of office, when the taxpayers are not as liable for the trip.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 11:02:17 PM »
Just remember he also created the Office of the President Elect

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536