Author Topic: Lawmakers Push for Govt Bought American Flags to be Made in US  (Read 6526 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I'm generally an open market kinda guy, and if someone wants to buy from China vs the US, their money, their business. Having the US government buy only US made American flags sure does seem like the right thing to do though, from a philosophical perspective (as long as flag makers don't start with the equivalent of the $1000 hammer).

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/04/lawmakers-push-for-american-flags-to-be-made-in-usa/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Lawmakers Push for Govt Bought American Flags to be Made in US
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:21:48 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that the majority of taxpayers would favor their tax dollars buying US-made flags rather than foreign-made.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
Seems a no brainer. As I recall, all of my Navy uniforms are Made in the U.S.A.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »
Sounds OK by me....I prefer gov't act more as a consumer than as a regulator.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 07:23:10 AM »
IMO, the US Govt should always seek to source its purchases on US made products when possible.  That is just common sense. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 09:18:12 AM »
IMO, the US Govt should always seek to source its purchases on US made products when possible.  That is just common sense. 

Need I point out why that makes less sense than you'd think?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 09:20:30 AM »

Please do....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 10:01:16 AM »
Please do....

I don't wanna speak for MB, and I may be wrong, but I'm guessing he's referring to the whole, "if you want to export your goods and services, you need to play ball and import goods and services". Obviously we have problems with it, but we need to engage in international trade.

While I still believe that it's important we buy a symbol like the American flag from Americans, when buying goods for the US govt, I don't always buy American. We're supposed to give priority to American companies, with extra priority given to minority, woman, veteran, [insert description here] owned companies. However those of us authorized to purchase goods are also supposed to buy for, "best value to the government".

That's what I give priority to. I look for the best price of a good quality item to try and spend taxpayer dollars wisely. I won't buy a cheap Chinese knockoff to save 20% if it's something that's going to break in a month or not perform properly. On the other hand, every time I make an attempt to buy from one of the "diverse" businesses with a govt contract, or half the businesses listed in the GSA schedule, whatever item I'm looking at is more often than not more expensive than the open market.

At some point I'll probably get in trouble for it, and many may not like that I don't always "buy American" with taxpayer dollars, but if I can give the taxpayers the best bang for their buck by buying made in China "widget A" from Amazon instead of its overvalued counterpart on GSA, that's what I do.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 10:52:01 AM »
I'm not so sure about China, but I really like the idea of foreigners making our flags for us. Same way I love the fact that the nation of Japan that once attacked us, and that we humbled, now makes cars and electronics for us to enjoy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »
It's not lawmakers jobs to create favorable market conditions on US flags.

They have more important *expletive deleted*it to worry about.

Like the fact that we won't be buying *expletive deleted*ing flags from ANYONE if they don't clean up their act.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »

Only makes less sense if you had relatively free markets that applied equally in both directions.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 11:37:53 AM »
1.  I am not talking about an exclusive US only rule, just favorable treatment to domestic manufacturing if the bids are in line with competitors.  I don't think we should pay 10 times as much for something domestic unless there are other factors involved.  However, the idea of a Made in China tag on a US flag just seems weird to me.

2.  I am ONLY talking about Govt Spending, not general market protection.  I think most taxpayers would rather the Govt spend their money domestically (when reasonable) rather than send it to overseas.  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:41:16 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 11:39:41 AM »
It's not lawmakers jobs to create favorable market conditions on US flags.

They have more important *expletive deleted* to worry about.

Like the fact that we won't be buying *expletive deleted* flags from ANYONE if they don't clean up their act.
IMO, it is part of their job to avoid loading US companies down with BS regulations that make it difficult to compete on the open market.  They generally fail at that. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »
I don't wanna speak for MB, and I may be wrong, but I'm guessing he's referring to the whole, "if you want to export your goods and services, you need to play ball and import goods and services". Obviously we have problems with it, but we need to engage in international trade.

While I still believe that it's important we buy a symbol like the American flag from Americans, when buying goods for the US govt, I don't always buy American. We're supposed to give priority to American companies, with extra priority given to minority, woman, veteran, [insert description here] owned companies. However those of us authorized to purchase goods are also supposed to buy for, "best value to the government".

That's what I give priority to. I look for the best price of a good quality item to try and spend taxpayer dollars wisely. I won't buy a cheap Chinese knockoff to save 20% if it's something that's going to break in a month or not perform properly. On the other hand, every time I make an attempt to buy from one of the "diverse" businesses with a govt contract, or half the businesses listed in the GSA schedule, whatever item I'm looking at is more often than not more expensive than the open market.

At some point I'll probably get in trouble for it, and many may not like that I don't always "buy American" with taxpayer dollars, but if I can give the taxpayers the best bang for their buck by buying made in China "widget A" from Amazon instead of its overvalued counterpart on GSA, that's what I do.

This. In Spades.

I expect the public servants to spend MY money as if it were their own.   The market does not demand that you you pay the least for whatever item you need or want.  The market demands that you get the best value in the item that you need or want.  Least Price =/= Best Value.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »
I don't wanna speak for MB, and I may be wrong, but I'm guessing......

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the military equipment developed by foreign entities (Beretta M9, FN SAW, etc.) that we were able to get domestically manufactured......

....I'm OK with this practice, but more mundane consumer items should be domestically bought....or at least bought from friendly nations....

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »
As far as what lawmakers are busy with, there are so many screwed up things in our Federal Govt, this is a pretty minor issue.  However, I am not sure I want our lawmakers working on important issues as they would likely just screw them up more.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 10:24:06 PM »
Please do....

I think there are agreements (I'm not sure they apply specifically to flags) that mandate that member states have an equal and open bidding process for government contracts - for example, if Italy's government needs office equipment, a U.S. manufacturer could under such an agreement bid equally with an Italian manufacturer. (I do not know if specifically Italy has this, but I know that some governments do).

If you closed off your government's bidding process, wouldn't you lose this benefit abroad, as well as probably get penalized for violating trade treaties?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 09:29:07 AM »
The question of existing treaties is a good one.  Our hands might be tied in some cases. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 11:26:50 AM »
This. In Spades.

I expect the public servants to spend MY money as if it were their own.   The market does not demand that you you pay the least for whatever item you need or want.  The market demands that you get the best value in the item that you need or want.  Least Price =/= Best Value.

Yes.
Just because its Chinese made and cheaper, doesn't mean its a better value.

Side story- I bought a wash tub for $6 from Walmart a few weeks back. Being that I got such a handy item at such a low price made me pretty happy at first. I needed it for a project in my basement, so I was a just a little peeved to find that it leaked when I filled it with water.
This, like flags, is a piece of 5000+ year old technology- it took the bastard combination of American MBA and a chinese peasant to screw it up.

I can think of few more indecent things .gov could do than to present a flag to someone's nexct of kin that has the stars sewn on crooked or the stripes are falling off.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 04:02:55 PM »
This. In Spades.

And this is why the United States has an official unemployment rate of 8.2 percent, and a real unemplyment rate that's probably two or three times higher. In this country we have a minimum wage and all kinds of work rules and such, whereas in China a lot of stuff is still made by what is effectively slave labor. There's no mystery about why they can make it cheaper -- body here is willing to work for $0.05 an hour.

The private market is what it is, but I think anything that is bought using tax dollars should be made in the U.S. -- I'd rather use my tax dollars to pay a bit more for a real product than have my tax dollars spent on "stimulus" programs that do nothing other than put more blood suckers on the Federal payroll.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 12:28:29 AM »
They say China is actually not the cheapest place to manufacture, anymore. If I correctly recall, super-cheap manufacturing can be had in Africa, now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 01:26:43 AM »
They say China is actually not the cheapest place to manufacture, anymore. If I correctly recall, super-cheap manufacturing can be had in Africa, now.

India is supposed to be nice for that, too.

Unsurprisingly, both places are experiencing high economic growth.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 12:30:03 PM »
I'd prefer my tax dollars get the most value for my money.  Just like my personal life, this usually means that the item in question will be made overseas.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 12:40:37 PM »
. . . There's no mystery about why they can make it cheaper -- nobody here is willing to work for $0.05 an hour. less than they get without working, from welfare, foodstamps, SSI and a myriad of other unearned entitlement programs.
FIFY.

I willingly pay a modest premium to get a good quality "Made in USA" product, but I'm not going to pay multiples of the price of an import.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 03:20:26 PM »
I'd prefer my tax dollars get the most value for my money.  Just like my personal life, this usually means that the item in question will be made overseas.

Your personal life is made overseas?  =D