Author Topic: Ninth Circuit: no gun purchase if you use medical marijuana  (Read 6273 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Ninth Circuit: no gun purchase if you use medical marijuana
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-court-upholds-ban-gun-sales-marijuana-card-41778814

So if you are in the Ninth Circuit and use medical marijuana, no guns for you.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Ninth Circuit: no gun purchase if you use medical marijuana
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:19:25 AM »
I think the war on some drugs has been a great failure, and should be ended.  That said, I don't understand how folks that use marijuana seem to think they aren't using an illegal drug.

Yeah it's a BS law, but you're still breaking it.  Don't be surprised when you are treated like a criminal.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 09:39:24 AM »
I think the war on some drugs has been a great failure, and should be ended.  That said, I don't understand how folks that use marijuana seem to think they aren't using an illegal drug.

Yeah it's a BS law, but you're still breaking it.  Don't be surprised when you are treated like a criminal.

My concern here would be the medical qualifier. Doesn't that make it legal in this case? Then the concern is that if it can be ruled that a particular prescription nullifies your right to the 2nd, at what point do they stop? To my mind it's a slippery slope to "anyone with a prescription to 'X' ".

Caveat: I'm unfamiliar with the legality of "medical marijuana".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »
My concern here would be the medical qualifier. Doesn't that make it legal in this case? Then the concern is that if it can be ruled that a particular prescription nullifies your right to the 2nd, at what point do they stop? To my mind it's a slippery slope to "anyone with a prescription to 'X' ".

Using marijuana for medical purposes may be legal under state law, but it is still illegal under Federal law, which is what the Ninth Circuit relied upon in this decision.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 10:02:59 AM »
Using marijuana for medical purposes may be legal under state law, but it is still illegal under Federal law, which is what the Ninth Circuit relied upon in this decision.

If the decision was made purely on "legal" vs "illegal", then I agree with Dogmush. You pays your money, you takes your chances.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 10:07:35 AM »

This is the sole saving grace, IMHO, to keep this from being a serious concern for gun owners.  It has nothing to do with marijuana itself, or how it affects users.  It's all about the conflict of laws between the states allowing medical marijuana, and the federal law making it illegal.  

That said, why is it that so many of these gun rights cases have such bad examples of gun owners as the subject?  Plaintiff here said "she was not a marijuana user, but obtained the card in part as an expression of support for marijuana legalization."  Now, granted I'm a lawyer, so I read into things all the time, but I read that as saying she doesn't need medical marijuana, but took steps (perhaps fraudulently) to convince a physician to sign legal documents on her behalf to allow her to obtain permission to use legally marijuana.  And now she's a poster child for RKBA issues?  Yeah, that helps our cause...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »

How I also understood it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:43:33 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »
So now if you want to stretch this a bit, the states like Colorado that permit recreational use, then anyone that partakes is ineligible also?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 10:19:59 AM »
So if you are still buying your pot from the guy down the street and don't get a card you can keep your guns?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 10:42:26 AM »
So now if you want to stretch this a bit, the states like Colorado that permit recreational use, then anyone that partakes is ineligible also?

Yes.  CO's law conflicts with Federal.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 10:45:20 AM »

This decision only applies to states in the Fed Ninth Circuit.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 11:11:45 AM »
This decision only applies to states in the Fed Ninth Circuit.

I think he is saying if a similar case were to come in front of the 10 District Court.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 11:27:53 AM »
So if you are still buying your pot from the guy down the street and don't get a card you can keep your guns?

Quote from: ATF Form 4473, Question 11 (e)
Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled
substance?

Emphisis mine.

There is no way, currently, in the United States to legally use marijuana and purchase a firearm.  This lady was stupid for trying.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »
I think he is saying if a similar case were to come in front of the 10 District Court.

Maybe.  Each District court is bound by the appellate decisions of their Circuit appellate court and SCOTUS, although the decisions of other Circuits can certainly be persuasive or cited as authority.  One of the most common reasons for Federal appellate cases to be heard by SCOTUS is for different Circuits to render different decisions on the same issue.  So if the Tenth Circuit came up with a different ruling on this same medical marijuana/firearms issue, it would be ripe for certiorari to SCOTUS.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 01:57:26 PM »

Yes, the same as recreational users in other states. Marijuana is illegal under federal law ... period. If you are a user of unlawful drugs, you cannot (legally) buy or possess a firearm under federal law.

That's really all there is to it. Of course, the big federal hammer is the perjury when filling out a Form 4473 if buying from an FFL. In states that allow face-to-face transfers, you can buy a gun without filling out a 4473, so you can't be prosecuted for lying on a form you didn't fill out. But you're still not allowed to buy the gun under federal law.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 01:58:11 PM »

It's legal by state law.  So you don't generally have to worry about the state po-po getting in your face about it.

However, Marijuana is still a "schedule 1" drug per the DEA and federal law, which means that the feds, legally speaking, don't recognize any 'valid medical use'.

Note, even cocaine is only schedule 2 - highly abusable, but a few valid medical uses.  I understand it's still useful in very specific situations for eyes (a drop or so of cocaine solution onto the eyeball).

That being said, the DEA and FBI aren't equipped to go after regular users - they depend on the states to do that.  They're after the shippers and larger dealers.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 03:16:14 PM »
My point being that a Pandora's box has been opened with all this state's right vs federal rights.

This could have implications across the 2A world, states saying they won't enforce federal laws.

The lines are getting more blurry with each and every court decision that puts state law legalizing something the feds say isn't.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »
My point being that a Pandora's box has been opened with all this state's right vs federal rights.

This could have implications across the 2A world, states saying they won't enforce federal laws.

The lines are getting more blurry with each and every court decision that puts state law legalizing something the feds say isn't.

I'd like to agree,  but the war over state's rights and federal rights has already been fought and lost.

The feds are ignoring states going against them on mj, because the feds don't actually care about drugs.  If the states get froggy on something that matters they'll get shut down.  Usually by cutting off cash.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:00:35 PM by dogmush »

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 05:55:46 PM »
The feds are ignoring states going against them on my, because the feds don't actually care about drugs.  If the states get froggy on something that matters they'll get shut down.  Usually by cutting off cash.

I'd say that they don't care about weed, and are quite aware that while they oppose it, the majority of the population at this point supports some level of legalization.

When you have incumbents facing primaries where they're wining by single digit percentages, they have to be careful.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 09:50:20 PM »
Medical marijuana = the only prescription with no dosage and no expiration.   ;/

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 11:29:15 PM »
Medical marijuana = the only prescription with no dosage and no expiration.   ;/

That depends on the doctor doing the prescribing.  Remember, there's a lot of prescriptions out there that's 'as necessary for the pain' out there.

And no expiration?  You don't think they can't slap the standard 1 year on it?

That said, I have sympathy for some, seeing their choice of marijuana as one addressing the failures of the modern medicine system - too expensive and/or too many bad side effects.  That being said, I'm not willing to put a percentage on it, but I do believe that the majority of 'prescriptions' for medical need are anything but.

That's why I support cutting the crap - just legalize it completely, regulate a bit like alcohol and tobacco, keeping in mind that I think the feds and local jurisdictions have gone overboard in some spots as well.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 12:06:33 AM »
So simply having a card issued by the state saying you can purchase marijuana for medical reason, is grounds for the feds to say you can't buy a gun? Yeah that doesn't set up any bad precedences.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2016, 06:55:26 AM »
That depends on the doctor doing the prescribing.  Remember, there's a lot of prescriptions out there that's 'as necessary for the pain' out there.

And no expiration?  You don't think they can't slap the standard 1 year on it?

That said, I have sympathy for some, seeing their choice of marijuana as one addressing the failures of the modern medicine system - too expensive and/or too many bad side effects.  That being said, I'm not willing to put a percentage on it, but I do believe that the majority of 'prescriptions' for medical need are anything but.

That's why I support cutting the crap - just legalize it completely, regulate a bit like alcohol and tobacco, keeping in mind that I think the feds and local jurisdictions have gone overboard in some spots as well.

I spent 8 years in the Emerald Triangle, I've got no problem stating that I believe the vast majority of 215 cards issued were for bogus maladies.  You get your doctors recommendation and you can keep using that recommendation over and over to keep renewing your 215 card.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2016, 08:29:19 AM »
I sure this came as a big shock to a bunch of dopers.   lol

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »
So simply having a card issued by the state saying you can purchase marijuana for medical reason, is grounds for the feds to say you can't buy a gun? Yeah that doesn't set up any bad precedences.
Yeah, it kind of opens that up to actual prescribed narcotics. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge