Author Topic: Satellite Internet  (Read 1972 times)

MaterDei

• friend
Satellite Internet
« on: October 24, 2005, 02:07:04 PM »
Anybody got it?  Should I get it?

Phyphor

• friend
Satellite Internet
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 02:18:52 PM »
If you can't get DSL or cable, and your dialup connection is long distance, then yea, that'd be your only option.  Otherwise, skip it.  Direcway has sucky upload/download limits, and I'm not sure about other services, but they're probably similar.  OH, and obviously, it's lame for online gaming, since there's a huge lag time involved in transmitting data to the sat. and back.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Art Eatman

• friend
Satellite Internet
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 05:02:52 AM »
A buddy of mine is on Direcway, and I got a good money-deal with Wild Blue through our electric CoOp.  Both of us are happy as pigs in a trough.

For me, it was a break-even on the monthly cost, given I don't now need a second phone line, and don't pay the higher monthly cost of the dialup ISP's long distance add-on.

Fast!  Downloads are 512kb.

The only drawback I can see is when there are very thick clouds, the same problem as with the small-dish satellite TV.  In the desert, that's not much of a problem. Smiley

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Satellite Internet
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 08:35:52 AM »
Verizon is being -- well -- something that Art's grandma wouldn't like about fixing their wires to Firethorn Manor. So this would be an option, except that we have some fairly heavy tree cover. Oh, and the price is about triple that of DSL, assuming that I can get it to work.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

MaterDei

• friend
Satellite Internet
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 09:19:14 AM »
I don't have to dial long distance for my dial up service, but the speed is unacceptable.  Where I live Cable and DSL are not available.  I'm considering either Direcway or Wild blue.  Art, any preference between these two?

mtnbkr

• friend
Satellite Internet
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 09:37:25 AM »
have you considered dialing two lines (two modems) and tying them together?  Windows 2k and newer can do this.  I haven't tried it, but it should work fine.  FWIW, 128k DSL does something similar (2 B channels at 64k each, albiet with a digital line).

The only issue is whether or not your ISP will allow you to log in twice.

Chris

cfabe

• friend
Satellite Internet
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 11:31:52 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
have you considered dialing two lines (two modems) and tying them together?  Windows 2k and newer can do this.  I haven't tried it, but it should work fine.  FWIW, 128k DSL does something similar (2 B channels at 64k each, albiet with a digital line).

The only issue is whether or not your ISP will allow you to log in twice.

Chris
Back in the pre-dsl days I used multilink-PPP to hijack the familiy's voice phone line at night to increase my download speeds. It works, and usually can achieve speeds up to 80-90kbps. Better than nothing, but still dismal these days. The ISP does need to allow it, back in 1998 mine did by default, I have no idea if this is the norm these days.

You're referring to IDSL which is SDSL running over an ISDN line. This runs at 144kbps and can reach out to further distances than normal ADSL that most companies offer. It's more expensive, though, and still rather slow.

The satellite providers come in at the 256-512 kbps range, which is a usable internet connection, but they have other issues, mainly very high latencey and tricky Fair Use Policies which can slow the connection down to a crawl if they deem you've used too much bandwidth.

For reference, most DSL and cable modem service these days is running 1500-3000kbps down. Much faster than any of the other options.

Another option that most people aren't aware of in some ares is fixed wireless service. Many small companies are rolling out this service, usually in flat, rural areas. The service is a wireless radio connection to a land-based radio tower in the area. Speeds and quality of service can vary with the provider, some of the guys doing this are one-man operations. But it isn't as affected by weather as satellite is and it doesn't have the 500ms+ ping times. Something to look into if it's available. Google for WISP or Fixed Wireless.

mtnbkr

• friend
Satellite Internet
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 11:46:19 AM »
You're referring to IDSL which is SDSL running over an ISDN line.
Nope, I'm referring to standard ISDN.  There are two B channels that can be brought up together or individually by your CPE router depending on your configuration.   I can't recall why you'd only bring up one line though.  It's been a long time...

Chris

Art Eatman

• friend
Satellite Internet
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 02:53:39 PM »
MaterDei, I guess it's about six of one, a half-dozen of the other.  Neither of us have had any problems.  wild Blue has automatic forwarding of email, which for me is a plus.  I dunno if Direcway has that, but they probably do.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
Satellite Internet
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 11:06:37 AM »
you'd only bring up one channel on isdn if you were using the other to make a phone call.

i had to get an isdn line setup for my uncle's company for a few weeks when they moved and the t1 wasn't ready. that was... awful. it was, however, an improvement over the first two days they were there - everyone had to check email on one computer with dialup o_O

i also worked somewhere with a satellite link - specifically for sending files to india at night. it was great for that, useless for anything else.

right now, i'm waiting for verizon to roll out fios to my neighborhood. they inished across the street months ago rolleyes on the plus side, i'm getting something like 6mbit from cox.

mtnbkr

• friend
Satellite Internet
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 11:40:37 AM »
you'd only bring up one channel on isdn if you were using the other to make a phone call.
ok, I couldn't remember *why* you'd only bring one up, only that you could.  Thanks. Smiley

I did some work with satellite systems and IP encryption a few years ago (2001-2002).  It's better than useless, but it's not the right choice for latency sensitive applications.  That said, we did test VOIP over 3DES encrypted satellite links with great success.  This was for COOP/DR type stuff where you wouldn't have time to install a landline.  

I've not been impressed with services targeted towards home users, but I admit I haven't looked at any of them in years.

Chris