Author Topic: Ground Bison Stir Fry  (Read 61 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Ground Bison Stir Fry
« on: May 19, 2024, 06:48:40 PM »
When I was at the Costco this week, I decided to grab the ground bison instead of the ground beef. I didn't want to just do a boring fallback of bison burgers, so I was perusing recipes that use ground bison, and one recipe was for ground bison stir fry. It had mentioned that bison worked better than beef because of its flavor profile. I just happens that lately I have been buying the big bags of Kirkland frozen stir fry vegetables to make stuff like chicken stir fry, so I thought I would give this a go.

I actually didn't use much of anything from the recipe I saw. I just threw some stuff together, but man, did this come out great. There really was a different, but really delicious flavor using the bison. This is what I did:

Because the frozen veggies always seem to collect water as they cook, I actually did them up in a separate pan, getting them about 2/3 done. In a large cast iron pan, I cooked up 2lbs of ground bison. While the bison was cooking, I added around 3tbsp of brown sugar and a few dashes of soy sauce. When the bison was 2/3 done, I added in the veggies - spooning them in to leave the water behind in the other pan. I then added maybe 4-5tbsp of hoisin sauce, thoroughly mixing everything as it all finished cooking.

I served it over jasmine white rice, and I will definitely be making this more often. Super quick to prepare and delicious. The above quantity is enough for three meals for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Ground Bison Stir Fry
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 06:51:47 AM »
That sounds really good.

My local grocery was carrying ground elk, venison, boar, and bison for awhile. It kept going on sale, and then it just disappeared. I guess people weren't buying it in sufficient quantities.

What brand Hoisin Sauce do you get? I've been trying to find one that I like. Invariably, though, I'll get one and I either don't like the initial taste or it leaves a nasty after taste.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 07:22:35 AM »
Definitely something to try.  Plus I've got a source for locally raised bison.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 08:14:29 AM »

What brand Hoisin Sauce do you get?

The brand is Sun Luck. I have no idea as to how it compares to others. I get it whenever I make my every 1-2 month trip to the fancy Albertsons in the big city, which seems to stock more gourmet-ish stuff. I know we have a couple of Asian markets in the region that likely have something better, but I have never been to them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2024, 08:36:44 AM »
I've used Sun Luck sesame oil. It's very good. I'll give the hoisin a try if I can find it locally.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2024, 09:54:31 AM »
I like bison meat. That stir fry sounds great.
Back when I hunted pronghorn in Wyoming we always picked our meat from the locker and stopped at a market in Casper that sold fresh bison butchered weekly, and also sold dry ice. We would top of our coolers for the trip back.
What we have here is failure to communicate.