Author Topic: Military Times Presidential Race Poll  (Read 2875 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Military Times Presidential Race Poll
« on: September 21, 2016, 02:12:29 PM »
Interesting poll by Military Times. The Johnson percentage was actually quite surprising to me. If you would have asked me to guess before seeing it, I would have said slight lead to Trump, then Clinton, then at least 20% back, Johnson.

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/this-poll-of-the-us-military-has-gary-johnson-tied-with-donald-trump-in-the-race-for-president
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Military Times Presidential Race Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 02:17:05 PM »
They only back Johnson to that extent because they need access to legal weed to dull the pain of constant SHARP briefings.  And to hallucinate that they are in an military with leadership dedicated to killing the enemy and breaking his stuff in furtherance of America's interests.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 02:35:59 PM »
The USMC is certainly in favor of Mr. Trump.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 03:54:01 PM »
I'm actually not all that surprised considering that most of us in the military have the I DON'T GIVE A *expletive deleted*ck WHAT YOU DO AS LONG AS YOU LEAVE ME ALONE ATTITUDE. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 05:27:04 PM »
I'm surprised that James Mattis is only polling ~3%.  :'( :'(
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 06:41:37 PM »
It's polls like this I like to point gun-grab-tards to to show them that they have no chance of confiscation.

Three-fourths of the military is simply not down with lefty/proggy/commie types and will not obey such an order.

They might not actively rebel en masse but enough will to make the pro-prog type troops hesitate to take any action.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 07:31:04 AM »
I'm actually not all that surprised considering that most of us in the military have the I DON'T GIVE A *expletive deleted*ck WHAT YOU DO AS LONG AS YOU LEAVE ME ALONE ATTITUDE. 

That coupled with they're tired of being tossed into senseless conflicts. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »
30% of Officers are going to vote for Clinton?

That is scary.

When it comes to crunch time I suspect many of the enlisted polling for Johnson will vote Trump, esp if it looks like it is going to be close between Trump/Clinton.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 09:14:11 AM »
30% of Officers are going to vote for Clinton?

That is scary.

When it comes to crunch time I suspect many of the enlisted polling for Johnson will vote Trump, esp if it looks like it is going to be close between Trump/Clinton.

Actually a lot of higher ranking officers have to sort of play politics and hedge bets if they want to continue career progression beyond O-6 and into the ranks that wear stars.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 10:51:20 AM »
It's polls like this I like to point gun-grab-tards to to show them that they have no chance of confiscation.

Three-fourths of the military is simply not down with lefty/proggy/commie types and will not obey such an order.

They might not actively rebel en masse but enough will to make the pro-prog type troops hesitate to take any action.

I wish I could believe that, but ... I'm not so sure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 01:09:10 PM »
I'm just going by numbers. I'm not military so I admit I don't know the actual mindset of those that are. It just seems to make sense if you're wiling to vote conservative/libertarian/constitutionalist that you wouldn't support gun control. Following on from that you wouldn't allow yourself to be used in a confiscation scheme. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 02:57:37 PM »

I wish I could believe that, but ... I'm not so sure.

How long did it take Stalin to purge the Trotskyites and others he was suspicious of?  Not long.

Great Purge 1936-1938
~1million murdered.  Bureaucracy & military and such purged of the unreliable.

Purge of the Red Army 1941
Even more purged from the Red Army.  Done in the face of a German offensive.

So, we have a data point that shows a purge taking something less than three years.  Assume that, unlike the USSR, folks not down with the company line are allowed to leave of their own accord and it won;t take 3 years to purge the armed forces of those unwilling to murder citizens to enforce gun control.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 03:12:44 PM »
How long did it take Stalin to purge the Trotskyites and others he was suspicious of?  Not long.

Great Purge 1936-1938
~1million murdered.  Bureaucracy & military and such purged of the unreliable.

Purge of the Red Army 1941
Even more purged from the Red Army.  Done in the face of a German offensive.

So, we have a data point that shows a purge taking something less than three years.  Assume that, unlike the USSR, folks not down with the company line are allowed to leave of their own accord and it won;t take 3 years to purge the armed forces of those unwilling to murder citizens to enforce gun control.

I would hope that there are a lot of citizens and former military members that would stand with those that are unwilling as well as stand up to those that are willing.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 03:24:40 PM »
I would hope that there are a lot of citizens and former military members that would stand with those that are unwilling as well as stand up to those that are willing.

Me, too.  So, best case scenario at that point is Civil War II: The Sifting.

But then there is the "Hope in one hand and *expletive deleted*it in the other.  Which one fills first?" test.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 03:33:11 PM »
I'm just going by numbers. I'm not military so I admit I don't know the actual mindset of those that are. It just seems to make sense if you're wiling to vote conservative/libertarian/constitutionalist that you wouldn't support gun control. Following on from that you wouldn't allow yourself to be used in a confiscation scheme. 

No, no, no.

Believing that the 2nd Amendment says what it says and being politically and philosophically opposed to gun control does NOT (IMHO) equate to disobeying a direct order from a superior officer. Yes, I understand that the UCMJ says military personnel are not supposed to obey unlawful orders, but who decides whether or not an order to confiscate is lawful? And when is the determination made? The penalties if you refuse to obey and you're wrong are significant.

I would truly like to believe that the military would tell the civilian aw-thaw-rih-tays to FOAD, but I just don't see it happening in real life.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »

Good luck with that. The Oathkeepers are generally regarded as a whacko fringe group ... if not outright terrorists.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »
No, no, no.

Believing that the 2nd Amendment says what it says and being politically and philosophically opposed to gun control does NOT (IMHO) equate to disobeying a direct order from a superior officer. Yes, I understand that the UCMJ says military personnel are not supposed to obey unlawful orders, but who decides whether or not an order to confiscate is lawful? And when is the determination made? The penalties if you refuse to obey and you're wrong are significant.

I would truly like to believe that the military would tell the civilian aw-thaw-rih-tays to FOAD, but I just don't see it happening in real life.

I can say without a doubt my leadership told the civilian authorities just that back in 2005 in NO.  The only firearms we touched were those that we found unsecured.  We secured them, tagged them with the address where they were found, and then turned over to the NOPD.  We did not unarm any civilians unless they were breaking the law.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 03:58:16 PM »
It has been my experience that there is a pretty fair sized number off NCO's and Officer's in the Army that feel not only would an order to confiscate civilian firearms be illegal, but that it would cross the line to something that had to be prevented.  i.e.  Not just saying "No" and not doing it, but actually arming up and preventing the other folks from doing it.  So Civil War 2.0 then.

This subject (or one similar to it) is a matter not only of barracks and beer discussions, but it (when exactly an order from the civilian command authority goes too far) is a repeatedly covered subject in our Professional Military Education classes.  Complete with historical examples, discussions, likely outcomes, and the possibility (likelihood) of no win scenarios.

We study, and take to heart, the lessons from the purges of the Red Army and other communist purges.  How exactly it would go is something I don't really want to find out, but as a professional military sworn to defend the Constitution there is an acute awareness that the Constitution and the fed.gov aren't synonymous.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 06:10:07 PM »

IMHO, the military would collapse if given an order to confiscate guns.  Some would be gungho to enforce it, and some would oppose them, and chaos would ensue.  Why do you think the feds have been arming so many bureaucrats?  You think the Department of Education (etc) really needs its own police force?  They are getting ready for something (I don't know what) that they know the military won't do.
"It's good, though..."

JN01

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 06:51:26 PM »
Meh. Democrats will ensure that the overseas military votes won't count anyway.