Author Topic: Apparently Zubaida was not #3 at alll...  (Read 7895 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Apparently Zubaida was not #3 at alll...
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:48:57 AM »
CIA Mistaken on 'High-Value' Detainee, Document Shows

By Peter Finn and Julie Tate
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, June 16, 2009

An al-Qaeda associate captured by the CIA and subjected to harsh interrogation techniques said his jailers later told him they had mistakenly thought he was the No. 3 man in the organization's hierarchy and a partner of Osama bin Laden, according to newly released excerpts from a 2007 hearing.

"They told me, 'Sorry, we discover that you are not Number 3, not a partner, not even a fighter,' " said Abu Zubaida, speaking in broken English, according to the new transcript of a Combatant Status Review Tribunal held at the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

President George W. Bush described Abu Zubaida in 2002 as "al-Qaeda's chief of operations." Intelligence, military and law enforcement sources told The Washington Post this year that officials later concluded he was a Pakistan-based "fixer" for radical Islamist ideologues, but not a formal member of al-Qaeda, much less one of its leaders.

Abu Zubaida, a nom de guerre for Zayn al-Abidin Muhammed Hussein, told the 2007 panel of military officers at the detention facility in Cuba that "doctors told me that I nearly died four times" and that he endured "months of suffering and torture" on the false premise that he was an al-Qaeda leader.

Abu Zubaida, 38, was subjected 83 times to waterboarding, a technique that leads victims to believe they are drowning and that has been widely condemned as torture. The Palestinian was held at a secret CIA facility after his capture in Pakistan in March 2002.

The Abu Zubaida transcript, and those of five other "high-value detainees," including Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the self-proclaimed mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, were released in response to a Freedom of Information Act request and lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union. Versions of the transcripts were released by the Pentagon in 2007.

Abu Zubaida, Mohammed and 12 other high-value detainees were transferred to Guantanamo in September 2006 and continue to be held there at Camp 7, a secret facility at the naval base, part of a total population of 229 detainees.

After a meeting yesterday with Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, President Obama announced that Italy has agreed to resettle three detainees.

The United States and the 27-nation European Union also issued a joint statement yesterday noting that "certain Member States of the European Union have expressed their readiness to assist with the reception of certain former Guantanamo detainees, on a case-by-case basis."

The statement said the United States "will consider contributing to the costs" of resettling detainees in Europe.

Although little new information was released in the hearing transcript for Majid Khan, an alleged associate of Mohammed and a former resident of Baltimore, the extent of the redactions is more apparent in the latest document. When referring to his treatment at CIA "black site" prisons, the Pakistani's transcript is blacked out for eight consecutive pages. In the version released earlier, this entire section was marked by a single word: "REDACTED."

Similar redactions appear in other transcripts released yesterday. The ACLU said the continued level of redaction was unacceptable and vowed to return to court to press for unexpurgated transcripts.

"The only conceivable basis for suppressing this testimony is not to protect the American people but to protect the CIA from legal accountability," said Ben Wizner, a staff attorney for the ACLU. "There is no reason to continue to censor detainee abuse allegations."

George Little, a CIA spokesman, said, "The CIA plainly has a very different take on its past interrogation practices -- what they were and what they weren't -- and on the need to protect properly classified national security information."

The new transcripts provide some limited new insight into the interaction between the CIA and its prisoners.

Mohammed, who was waterboarded 183 times, appears to have invoked the U.S. Constitution to protest his treatment.

He described the response he received: "You are not American, and you are not on American soil. So you cannot ask about the Constitution."

Mohammed also said he lied in response to questions about bin Laden's location.

"Where is he? I don't know," Mohammed said. "Then he torture me. Then I said yes, he is in this area."

Micro Sez: Let's see how this unfolds. I imagine this will be either confirmed or denied in the coming few days.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Re: Apparently Zubaida was not #3 at alll...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:18:35 PM »
Human beings aren't perfect. They make mistakes.

In this case - if true - they made mistakes.

Sometimes you get the shaft and sometimes you get the elevator. Sucks - but still true.

Doesn't change the facts. Torture - if applied properly by folks who know what they're doing - works.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »
Human beings aren't perfect. They make mistakes.

In this case - if true - they made mistakes.

Sometimes you get the shaft and sometimes you get the elevator. Sucks - but still true.

Doesn't change the facts. Torture - if applied properly by folks who know what they're doing - works.

And its also highly effective at getting people who've done nothing wrong to admit to all the atrocities in the world.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:56:59 PM »
Just remember: American citizens have been charged as terrorists under the Patriot Act for drug crimes, and American citizens have been arrested for posting on an internet message board. Another OKC style attack and suddenly Gitmo is full of guys named Jim Bob and you're the one getting tortured for posting hate speech on that terroristic APS website.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:00:26 PM »
And its also highly effective at getting people who've done nothing wrong to admit to all the atrocities in the world.

Can't cook eggs without breaking them first...

Fight Me Online

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »
Werewolf: would you be ok with using torture as part of domestic law enforcement?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 01:31:01 PM »

I'm told by some folks that apparently employed it, you use torture for one of three reasons.  Entertainment/revenge (any emotional stuff unrelated to information gathering), to send a message or to elicit a false confession.  Those are the only three valid reasons for torturing someone.  Granted, I don't have first hand experience, so I really don't have anything other than their word.  Any person that would apparently crack under torture, you can allegedly talk the information out of them in a few weeks.  Getting very timely, accurate information is only possible depending on the will of the detainee (ie he wants to talk), or the skill of the interrogator (ie really, really good). 

Substituting mechanical or medical means of interrogation to make up for inept interrogators is a bad investment.  I've met a couple good interrogators.  The true skill for the best of them is not getting information, but getting information in a way that you don't even realize at the time that you're giving up.  Money (Bribery or payment), Ideology, Compromise/Coercion, and Ego (MICE) is handy as well.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 01:34:09 PM »
Just remember: American citizens have been charged as terrorists under the Patriot Act for drug crimes, and American citizens have been arrested for posting on an internet message board. Another OKC style attack and suddenly Gitmo is full of guys named Jim Bob and you're the one getting tortured for posting hate speech on that terroristic APS website.

QFT
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »
Can't cook eggs without breaking them first...

As long as they are little brown people who don't speak english, right?
Why not start using torture to elicit confessions from suspected serial killers?  Domestic terrorists?  Political dissidents?
JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 02:05:07 PM »
As long as they are little brown people who don't speak english, right?
Why not start using torture to elicit confessions from suspected serial killers?  Domestic terrorists?  Political dissidents?

I don't believe we were "torturing" any detainees for confessions. That would be wrong. (It is wholly ineffective and unreliable).

We were "torturing" them in order to get information helpful to prevent attacks or to use against terrorist infrastructure (banks, supporters, et al). This is information that can be confirmed and acted upon.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
Werewolf: would you be ok with using torture as part of domestic law enforcement?
1st I'd like to begin by stating that if lawful authority determines that the use of torture as an interrogation tool is to no longer be permitted by law then it should be taken out of our guys tool box. We're a nation of laws. Stupid or not - until they reach a level of onerousness that is no longer bearable - they should be obeyed.

That said and in answer to your question re: domestic law enforcement:

US Citizens have enumerated rights. One of those rights is to be secure in both body and papers which, I would imagine, precludes the constitutionally legal use of torture in criminal cases against US Citizens. So - NO - I am not OK with using torture as a part of domestic law enforcement (though historically law enforcement in the US quite often used beatings as an interrogation technique and one must wonder if that had anything to do with the lower crime rates in days past compared to now when they don't(?) use beatings that is).

On the other hand:
Non-uniformed combatants/Terrorists are neither criminals nor in most cases US citizens and regardless of what SCOTUS says shouldn't have the same rights as a US Citizen. Non-uniformed combatants/Terrorists are combatants in a war. Whether they are associated with a nation or not, whether they are involved in a declared war or not is of debatable concern and relevancy. Regardless, they are combatants. They are a type of combatant that by all the conventions of war are not considered legitimate. Their rights under the geneva conventions are to the best of my knowledge limited. Torture is a legitimate interrogation method when dealing with their ilk.

Are there ramifications of using torture against terrorists? Maybe - some would argue it frees them to do the same to our guys that get captured. That's a reasonable argument and if we were dealing with an enemy that followed the civilized rules of war would end any debate about using torture hand downs. But we're not dealing with a civilized enemy. We're dealing with animals that cut the heads off of conscious victims with the equivalent of a large pocket knife; an enemy that routinely blows innocent civilians, men, women and children to bits in random bombings. We're dealing with an enemy that either follows no rules or rules it makes up. We're dealing with monsters.

Not Using torture against them changes naught the manner in which they would deal with our people so taking it out of our tool box in an effort to modify a terrorist's behavior seems to be foolish to me.

Should torture be the interrogation method of 1st choice? In most cases probably not. You catch more flies with honey as the saying goes. But there will always be hard cases that will respond to nothing less and even those who will respond to nothing at all.

Torture isn't nice but to remove it completely from our toolbox limits the ability of those responsible for protecting our country from those determined to destroy it.

Fight Me Online

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 02:50:28 PM »
I don't believe we were "torturing" any detainees for confessions. That would be wrong. (It is wholly ineffective and unreliable).

We were "torturing" them in order to get information helpful to prevent attacks or to use against terrorist infrastructure (banks, supporters, et al). This is information that can be confirmed and acted upon.

If that was case, we wouldn't be torturing folks that had been been imprisoned since 2002.  Information gets stale.  Folks move when someone in the loop is captured or turns.  Waterboarding someone on a semi-regular basis for 83 sessions over the period of seven years isn't to get timely information.  It's to obtain either background information or to get a 'confession' that we can collaborate into a conviction.  But that doesn't make any sense either.  Information derived from torture won't ever get used in a real trial.  I really do believe that the US military has more integrity than to use information obtained from torture if ordered to conduct tribunals. 

Hell, even if he did confess to stuff that is collaborated and IS actually guilty of something, soon as he's in front of a judge he'll say he heard it from fellow inmates (they're in chainlink housing) and confessed to what he heard from someone else just to make the torture stop. 

BTW, I recommend picking up "Inside the Wire: A Military Intelligence Soldier's Eyewitness Account of Life at Guantanamo" by Eric Saar.  It's a very non-biased account of Gitmo, and covers a lot of information on the whole detainee situation from a working level.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 02:55:25 PM »
If that was case, we wouldn't be torturing folks that had been been imprisoned since 2002.  Information gets stale.   Folks move when someone in the loop is captured or turns.  Waterboarding someone on a semi-regular basis for 83 sessions over the period of seven years isn't to get timely information.  It's to obtain either background information or to get a 'confession' that we can collaborate into a conviction.  But that doesn't make any sense either.  Information derived from torture won't ever get used in a real trial.  I really do believe that the US military has more integrity than to use information obtained from torture if ordered to conduct tribunals. 

Hell, even if he did confess to stuff that is collaborated and IS actually guilty of something, soon as he's in front of a judge he'll say he heard it from fellow inmates (they're in chainlink housing) and confessed to what he heard from someone else just to make the torture stop. 

BTW, I recommend picking up "Inside the Wire: A Military Intelligence Soldier's Eyewitness Account of Life at Guantanamo" by Eric Saar.  It's a very non-biased account of Gitmo, and covers a lot of information on the whole detainee situation from a working level.

Someone please correct me, but we AREN'T "torturing" people who have been detained since 2002.

In fact, we're not "torturing" anyone right now.

It was my understanding that we did it soon after they were captured and have since stopped that process:

CIA interrogators waterboarded 9/11 planner and al Qaeda chief Khalid Sheikh Mohammed 183 times in March 2003, and another al Qaeda official, Abu Zubaydah, 83 times in August 2002, the New York Times is reporting today.

From: http://www.military.com/news/article/khalid-mohammed-waterboarded-183-times.html

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 02:58:37 PM »
1st I'd like to begin by stating that if lawful authority determines that the use of torture as an interrogation tool is to no longer be permitted by law then it should be taken out of our guys tool box. We're a nation of laws. Stupid or not - until they reach a level of onerousness that is no longer bearable - they should be obeyed.

The UCMJ and various other laws Rev has pointed out numerous times make torture illegal.

US Citizens have enumerated rights. One of those rights is to be secure in both body and papers which, I would imagine, precludes the constitutionally legal use of torture in criminal cases against US Citizens. So - NO - I am not OK with using torture as a part of domestic law enforcement (though historically law enforcement in the US quite often used beatings as an interrogation technique and one must wonder if that had anything to do with the lower crime rates in days past compared to now when they don't(?) use beatings that is).

1. Crime rates were not lower in the past. Idealizing a time past is a bad basis for policy.
2. Cops beating people isn't a crime now?

On the other hand:
Non-uniformed combatants/Terrorists are neither criminals nor in most cases US citizens and regardless of what SCOTUS says shouldn't have the same rights as a US Citizen. Non-uniformed combatants/Terrorists are combatants in a war. Whether they are associated with a nation or not, whether they are involved in a declared war or not is of debatable concern and relevancy. Regardless, they are combatants. They are a type of combatant that by all the conventions of war are not considered legitimate. Their rights under the geneva conventions are to the best of my knowledge limited. Torture is a legitimate interrogation method when dealing with their ilk.

US citizens can/have been classified as "enemy combatants" before. And calling people who organize or fund terrorist acts combatants opens the door even wider. That US citizen is an enemy combatant terrorist, and the guy posting on a message board supporting him is also a combatant for aiding him.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »
Like MB wrote, we'll see if Z-man was 3-man or not in time.

Given that we only waterboarded three folks total, I suspect there was good intel fingering Z-man as the 3-man.  Doesn't preclude the possibility of Z-man being an innocent goat herder, but I wouldn't bet on it.

----------

Ah, torture again.

Are we talking torture or "torture*?"

Yeah, torture can be used to elicit confessions to fictional crimes, but that is immaterial to its use as an intel-gathering method.  It has been documented as effective in this capacity.  To deny it is to go all flat-earther on us.

Quote from: Balog
1. Crime rates were not lower in the past. Idealizing a time past is a bad basis for policy.
I guess you could make this argument if you were very selective about which dates you chose to compare.

The data does not support your general proposition.
www.jrsa.org/programs/Historical.pdf (See pp 36-37)

* Redefined as pretty much anything more vigorous than harsh language.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 03:35:26 PM »
Jfruser: you're right, it would depend on what was meant by "the past."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »

On the other hand:

Are there ramifications of using torture against terrorists? Maybe - some would argue it frees them to do the same to our guys that get captured. That's a reasonable argument and if we were dealing with an enemy that followed the civilized rules of war would end any debate about using torture hand downs. But we're not dealing with a civilized enemy. We're dealing with animals that cut the heads off of conscious victims with the equivalent of a large pocket knife; an enemy that routinely blows innocent civilians, men, women and children to bits in random bombings. We're dealing with an enemy that either follows no rules or rules it makes up. We're dealing with monsters.

Not Using torture against them changes naught the manner in which they would deal with our people so taking it out of our tool box in an effort to modify a terrorist's behavior seems to be foolish to me.

Should torture be the interrogation method of 1st choice? In most cases probably not. You catch more flies with honey as the saying goes. But there will always be hard cases that will respond to nothing less and even those who will respond to nothing at all.

Torture isn't nice but to remove it completely from our toolbox limits the ability of those responsible for protecting our country from those determined to destroy it.

I'll annoy Balog by posting it all again.   :angel:

As for the law.  Torture is defined under Title 18, Part I, Chapter 113C, § 2340.  (Link).  For military personnel, they are subject to the UCMJ (Article 93).  There is also the War Crimes Act (18 U.S.C. § 2441), which specifically covers Torture under § 2441 (d)(1)(A)  (Link).   

Waterboarding can cause lung damage, dry drowning, brain damage due to asphyxiation or death.  This is in addition to severe psychological damage, obviously.  Secondary damage of severe bruising and broken bones nearly always occurs due to involuntary struggling or spasms unless proper medical restraints are used to immobilize the subject.  The entire point of waterboarding is to trigger the body's natural reaction to drowning.   Basically, to make the body think it is in the process of dying.  That process makes the brain do specific things.  If you were to waterboard an infant or person without higher level brain functions, their body would react the same as if you or a terrorist were being waterboarded.  Involuntary muscle spasms, gag reflex, pain responses, etc.   Ergo, it is not merely psychological torture.

I'm not sure how folks got into the mindset that one can debate if torture is acceptable or not.  It's illegal to do so in America (or its possessions) or to be done by Americans.  The citizenship or detention status (POW vs unlawful combatant) of the person being tortured is not mentioned in the laws.  Conspiring to do so, again regardless of citizenship or detention status of the person being tortured, is also illegal.  That's like debating whether or not grand theft auto is acceptable or not.  It is currently a crime.  It is specifically illegal and specifically defined.  One can, of course, debate whether torture should be legalized.  Obviously any specific case of activity that may be construed as torture is up to a federal court to decide if it meets the criteria.  But, yes, waterboard is torture and therefore is illegal under Title 18, Part I, Chapter 113C, § 2340 unless otherwise allowed by law (not EO).  This is not 'opinion', this is following the legal definition as specified by  Title 18, Part I, Chapter 113C, § 2340

If I may make a mild suggestion, Werewolf, the correct question should be 'should torture be made legal' or 'should exemptions be passed into law amending § 2340 and the War Crimes Act to allow torture under specific circumstances'.   Proclaiming torture (of any kind fitting the criteria specified in §2340) happens to be legal is provably false.  Proclaiming waterboarding does not fit the criteria specified in §2340 is also proveably false, but each instance would obviously have to be judged on its specific circumstances in a federal court.  The whole 'innocent until proven guilty' thing applies to torturers. 

Torture HAS been removed from the toolbox, unless you can find me legislation that supersedes the existing laws I quoted.  It's very possible, as I am not a lawyer.  As I understand, under the law as it is, government employees and contractors have willingly and knowingly broken the law ever since "Memorandum for Alberto R. Gonzales, Counsel to the President, from Jay S. Bybee, Assistant Attorney General, Office of Legal Counsel, Re: Standards of Conduct for Interrogation under 18 U.S.C. §§2340-2340A" (aka Bybee Memo, aka Torture Memo, aka 8/1/02 Interrogation Opinion) was rescinded on Oct 2003 by Jack Goldsmith (chief of the Office of Legal Counsel in the Department of Justice).  From my knowledge, the DOJ has just declined to prosecute whomever has violated 18 U.S.C. § 2441 (d)(1)(A) without even the justification of following OLC guidance.  You should be arguing that it "needs to be added", rather than it "needs to not be removed".

I recommend reading Yoo's "War by Other Means: An Insider's Account of the War on Terror".  It's a poorly written book but illustrates the quality of Yoo's legal opinions very well through his smarmy denials and whining.  Goldsmith wrote a less whiny book called "The Terror Presidency", which more clearly illustrates the events that took place regarding the 8/1/02 Interrogation Opinion.

Please do not take my word for any of the above.  Please read the laws I pointed out (and the books too, if you wish) or point out any laws that supersede those I specifically pointed out, and prove me wrong.    =D

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 03:44:38 PM »
We should be able to assert the moral high ground. 
When we commit acts against little brown people that we wouldn't against our own citizenry, we've lost that moral high ground. 
And then there is the slippery slope arguement. 
JD

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 03:51:03 PM »
We should be able to assert the moral high ground. 
When we commit acts against little brown people that we wouldn't against our own citizenry, we've lost that moral high ground. 
And then there is the slippery slope arguement. 

Ah...  Jamis?  Legally, there is no slippery slope.  Torturing "little brown people" or US citizens are both illegal under the same law.  There is no legal definition for the person being tortured nor any listed exemption.  Only the persons doing the torture are defined.  Torture by government employees is illegal in the US, US possessions (bases, embassies, etc) and by any US citizen regardless of location.  Conspiring by any US citizen to commit torture, or enable torture using a third party, is also illegal.

Where's the slippery slope argument here?    =D

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »
Ah...  Jamis?  Legally, there is no slippery slope.  Torturing "little brown people" or US citizens are both illegal under the same law.  There is no legal definition for the person being tortured nor any listed exemption.  Only the persons doing the torture are defined.  Torture by government employees is illegal in the US, US possessions (bases, embassies, etc) and by any US citizen regardless of location.  Conspiring by any US citizen to commit torture, or enable torture using a third party, is also illegal.

Why are we allowed to "torture" our own soldiers if it is illegal?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 04:03:51 PM »

I'm guessing you mean SERE training.  Simple.  It's voluntary.  No mandatory training requires submitting to torture.  Sure, certain jobs are only available if one volunteers and completes SERE training.  It's strictly optional, and it requires a very thick written disclaimer.  The disclaimer makes you state that you are of sound mind, have not been coerced, not subject to punitive measure if you don't sign and strictly voluntary.

Let me make a very similar analogy.  Sex with permission is legal.  Sex without permission is rape, and is not legal.  The same activity, depending on whether it was performed with or without uncoerced consent, has drastically different levels of legality.   

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:07:46 PM by RevDisk »

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 04:09:28 PM »

:rolleyes: What Rev said. The fact that MMA fights and BDSM clubs are legal doesn't mean we can start breaking captives bones or binding and whipping them.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 04:19:39 PM »
I'm guessing you mean SERE training.  Simple.  It's voluntary.  No mandatory training requires submitting to torture.  Sure, certain jobs are only available if one volunteers and completes SERE training.  It's strictly optional, and it requires a very thick written disclaimer.  The disclaimer makes you state that you are of sound mind, have not been coerced, not subject to punitive measure if you don't sign and strictly voluntary.

Let me make a very similar analogy.  Sex with permission is legal.  Sex without permission is rape, and is not legal.  The same activity, depending on whether it was performed with or without uncoerced consent, has drastically different levels of legality.   

Huh... I'm pretty sure that I read:

So are you saying it's NOT illegal for some US citizens to commit "torture"?

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 04:21:26 PM »
The UCMJ and various other laws Rev has pointed out numerous times make torture illegal.
Those doing the torture were not/are not subject to the UCMJ. In addition Bush Admin lawyers determined torture was legal.

I'm way, way older than you Balog. I remember when one didn't have to lock his house to go to the movies or his car when going to the store. We didn't have metal detectors at the door ways to our schools. Gangs were something relegated to the deep inner cities. When the national anthem was played in theatres before the beginning of the movie everyone stood up and placed their hand over their heart, EVERYONE. Abortion was still murder and drug addicts were criminals to be pitied not rock star icons.

And that's not idealization that's FACT!

I could go on but you wouldn't believe me anyway. You're too young to have lived in a simpler less violent time. Yes there was crime back in the 50's and before but not at the levels it exists today.

US citizens can/have been classified as "enemy combatants" before. And calling people who organize or fund terrorist acts combatants opens the door even wider. That US citizen is an enemy combatant terrorist, and the guy posting on a message board supporting him is also a combatant for aiding him.

Prescient aren't we. Yeah those things have happened and will become more and more common as time goes on (it's a function of the moral decay the US is experiencing - why is another thread)  but that's not got a thing to do with torture being used as a legitimate interrogation technique against terrorists. If the powers that be try that on US Citizens and it becomes common knowledge (and it's debatable whether it would/could become common knowledge) - well - at that point all bets are off.

Quote from: RevDisk
I'm told by some folks that apparently employed it, you use torture for one of three reasons.  Entertainment/revenge (any emotional stuff unrelated to information gathering), to send a message or to elicit a false confession.  Those are the only three valid reasons for torturing someone. 

That's 4 and the list doesn't include extracting useful intelligence information that could be used to capture or destroy other terrorists.

In addition I find it difficult to believe that agents of the US would torture for any of the reasons RevDisk's sources provided. With the possible exception of sending a message none provide any short or long term benefit to those involved or to the US. Any agent of the US torturing prisoners, even terrorists for the reasons listed by RevDisk deserves what he gets.

Extracting information used to shut down terrorist networks and bring their barbarism to a halt by means of torture is justified and a legitimate use for torture.

Fight Me Online

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »
Huh... I'm pretty sure that I read:

So are you saying it's NOT illegal for some US citizens to commit "torture"?

It's not torture if you volunteer for it. As Rev said, consent makes a world of difference.

Quote from: Werewolf
Prescient aren't we.

Stating things that have occurred in the past, and assuming they will continue in the future is "being prescient" now?  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:31:29 PM by Balog »