Author Topic: Online cigarettes?  (Read 2377 times)

Kyle

Online cigarettes?
« on: February 09, 2007, 12:01:01 PM »
I am on the search for the perfect smoke. I have found satisfaction with some cigars, shisha, and pipe tobaccos. But sometimes the situation calls for a cigarette. Regular Pall Malls, Marlboro 27's, and filterless Lucky Strikes are alright, but I have not been able to find a "regular" cigarette that realy fires me up.

I have tried some of the funkier kinds, like the all-natural American Spirit and Zig-Zag brands, but those taste and feel like smoking dusty air. Not the best description, but yeah.

It seems like the only place to buy the harder-to-find and imported cigarettes like Kents, Davidoff, Dunhill and Gauloises cigarettes is online. A google search for "cigarettes online" comes up with an array of websites. However, the first 10 seem to be the exact same company with an array of different URLs. They claim to be a European company that can ship small numbers of cartons to individuals in the US without taxes or duties.

This seems a little sketchy to me, and I was wondering if these places are legit. Has anyone ordered from an online seller with any luck, and could provide me with a referance?

Thanks

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: Online cigarettes?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 12:10:34 PM »
I loved Dunhill's.  I want one right now and I have not smoked in years and years.

http://www.cigarettesforless.com/dunhill.html
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 12:12:14 PM »
I've ordered hundreds of cartons of cigarettes from online sellers in Switzerland. IIRC, one of the domains was www.cheapcigarettes.com. I got them for as little as $14.95 a carton.

There are some problems, though. The brands such as Marlboro are not real. These companies are hijacking US tobacco company names and brands. The cigs taste the same, though.

The larger problem is state governments. One state (I forget which) forced an online seller to give up its customer list. The Wisconsin Department of Revenue got its hands on that list, and started sending out bills for unpaid cigarette and sales taxes to anyone who bought cigarettes from this online company. The department didn't specify which company it was, though.

My wife and I were really sweating this, as we would have owed thousands in taxes.

Fortunately, there was enough of a public uproar that the governor ordered the department of revenue to stop sending the bills for unpaid taxes. But the department can tax people for sales made after the governor's decision.

Welcome to Wisconsin, where everything but air is taxed. And air is next.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 12:17:23 PM »
Why not roll your own?  A Tops starter kit is only eight or nine bucks and includes a box of filtered tubes, a stuffer, and two pouches of everyday-style Tops tobacco (smokes pretty mild, actually).  There are a couple dozen kinds of "boutique" cigarrette tobaccos available and any number of tube lengths and styles.  Takes some trial and error to get the hang of the manual stuffer but once you're on a roll (pun intended) you can do about 1 a minute.  Using the middle-of-the-road "everyday" tobacco blands you can roll a pack for about 75 cents. Smokes fine, though a bit milder than the prepackaged stuff.

A guy who runs one of the local smoke shops says a lot of his high-end customers have gone the RYO route for many reasons, but mostly for the selection and cost.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 01:03:36 PM »
I like Dunhill also, English Ovals are pretty good too. When I smoke I usually just smoke Kool Milds, they just seem to work for me.

One thing I haven't had in forever is a clove cigarette. I used to bring home a couple of cartons each time I came hoem from college becuase everyone would pay me $5-6 a pack because they weren't sold in my hometown.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 01:08:01 PM »
Well, if we're talking about taste...

I stopped using illegal drugs over thirty years ago. But, every so often, if someone is smoking a joint, I'll take a small hit. Best tasting cigarettes around. Smiley

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 01:22:53 PM »
I had an ex who smoked nothing but Dunhill's (the red pack, whatever that is), and a few of my friends swear by Gauloises.  Me, I'm a menthol smoker, Marlb menthols for daily smoking, and the wonderful Nat Sherman Mint Classics when I can get them.  Never had a better tasting smoke in my life.  Check out the webpage - http://www.natsherman.com/

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 04:54:17 PM »
Pick up a pack of Kamel Reds.

Seriously, try it. That's my brand. Tasty, full, not too harsh, not "dusty air."

Kind of like a man's marlboro 27. laugh

Seriously. Try them. I'll personally guarantee that you will like them. If you don't, send me the unsmoked rest of the pack and i'll reimburse you for it.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 04:58:38 PM »

Oooh... ahhhh....
Jack
APS #22
Right?

Kyle

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 07:46:28 PM »
I guess I should have added that I do roll my own. I actualy do have a Supermatic Excel... quite a few steps up from a starter-kit. I can make a pack of perfect (king size) cigarettes in about 10 minutes. I have smoked Top, Bugler, and a few Dutch blends that I REALLY do like, but they only go with certain activities....

I am on a seperate search for the best RYO tobacco, but I didnt mention that here because I have other chanels for that sort of info. I will check out some of those links.

To the poster who mentioned their friends who swear by Gaulosiles, could you ask them where they buy them from?

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 12:12:11 AM »
Oops, I should have mentioned they're all in Montreal, where you can buy them just about anywhere.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Kyle

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 09:54:12 AM »
Sgt. Bob, have you ordered from there? I have been across that website, but it is one of the ones I mentioned in my first post who seem a little sketchy.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 03:08:22 PM »
Sgt. Bob, have you ordered from there? I have been across that website, but it is one of the ones I mentioned in my first post who seem a little sketchy.
I think I used to order from there but, its been a couple years since I quit smoking so I'm not too sure.

One I did order from a lot was Buycheapcigarettes.com (used to be Ron's Smoke Shop) and I never, ever had a problem with them.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 07:14:52 AM »

I actualy do have a Supermatic Excel... quite a few steps up from a starter-kit. I can make a pack of perfect (king size) cigarettes in about 10 minutes.

I smoke a pack every three or four days (hard-core ain't I).  The starter kit push-pull machine is probalby all I really needs but it's still a big PITA.  How much better is the Supermatic than what I have, and do you think it would be worth the $50-70 to get it?

Also, my best friend is a 2-pack a day smoker and is wondering about venturing into the RYO setup.  She and I have thought about going together and getting one of the Fresh Choice electric machines.  What little I've found on the internet rains ample praise on them for both speed and quality of finished ciggy.  Any experience with one of those?

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kyle

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 02:43:11 PM »
No experience with an electric.

However, I dont see how anyone could need MORE than the supermatic for their own personal smoking needs. Even shared between 2 people. Me and my roomate share it, and like I said you can make a pack of perfect cigarettes in ~20 minutes, and its impossible to screw up. Not a PITA, its a pleasure to use the machine.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 08:07:33 AM »
Any idea what the difference is between the Premier Excel and the Supermatic (I or II)?

Brad
-HankB

onions!

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 05:03:56 AM »
Thought that this was relevant.
http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6117019
"penalties up to 500% of the violation"
geesh

Kyle

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 05:54:26 AM »
Nope, I dont. But it shouldnt be too hard to find on the site that's selling them.

I have the Premier Excell, and there is no Roman numeral anywhere on it, so if it has such a designation, it would have to be I.

You can buy the attached-filter tubes, Top, Bugler, and a few other tobaccos at WalMart.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 06:49:52 AM »
Bit the bullet and bought a Premier Supermatic.  A local shop had one for about what the internet+shipping price, so I picked it up local.  Wow!  Convenient isn't the word.  It took a bit to get everything dialed in, but it works fine now with one exception.  Don't quite know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get the tobacco to stay in the tube as the spoon comes out.  It pulls away from the filter about a quarter inch and I have to tap it back down.  As few as I make it's no big deal.  I was just wondering what the trick was to keeping it from happening.

I also picked up a couple of small sample pouches of better tobacco.  As little as I smoke it will take a while to sample even the few I have, but so far they beat the heck out of the pre-made 'everyday' stuff.  And my cost in a pack of my RYOs is less than the tax we pay on pre-made.

Brad
-HankB

jnojr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 10:33:28 AM »
I suppose quitting smoking is out of the question?

Why try to find a cheaper way to kill yourself?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 10:35:20 AM »
I know my ocassional cigarettes and cigars aren't good for me, but I'm going to smoke a few times a month any way.  Freedom is good like that.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »

I gave up the rest of my vices, at least let me indulge this last one in peace.  grin

Brad
-HankB

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 10:36:30 PM »

BECAUSE I LIKE IT
Jack
APS #22
Right?

mike

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 06:42:50 AM »
"Why try to find a cheaper way to kill yourself?" So you can kill yourself faster!!! grin