Author Topic: Recommend a portable, infrared stainless steel gas grill for me!  (Read 1204 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Recommend a portable, infrared stainless steel gas grill for me!
« on: February 21, 2007, 04:37:27 PM »
I have been pondering the possibility of buying a stainless steel portable gas grill with an infrared burner to maximize my searing capability.  I have heard about the Solaire and the Turbo Sport.  What do people think of these brands, or do you have any other brand recommendations?  Now that is it just two of us, I hardly ever use the big Weber anymore, and it never got hot enough to sear anyway.

PS: Edited to add: price is not necessarily an important criteria.  Quality is.  I would rather spend the money and get the right item the first time and be able to pass it on to my children.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Recommend a portable, infrared stainless steel gas grill for me!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 05:22:41 PM »
When you say "infrared burner", do you mean indirect heating?  I have a Holland Grill, where the burner heats the underside of the stainless steel drip pan, and the heat goes around the drip pan up towards the grilling surface.  My Heritage model grill is the big brother to this little guy:

http://www.hollandgrill.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/prodID/2/index.htm

Holland grills use indirect heating only.  They have a "no flare-up" guarantee. However, there is no temperature control, and cooking is regulated by time only. The grill runs around 400-degrees, and you have to have the lid closed to keep cooking.  Cooking times are longer than exposed burner or charcoal grills, but it's not been a big problem to me. 

Note that none of the Holland grills are particularly cheap, however.  I bought my Heritage model used through Craigslist, in excellent condition, for $50.00 - so keep your eyes open!   grin

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 05:47:50 PM »
No, an infrared burner replaces a conventional flame burner.  It looks like a solid orange glowing plaque.  The advantage is that is reaches about 1500 degrees, which allows for quick searing.  I have had some steaks prepared on an infrared grill, and they were clearly superior to those done on my Weber, for example

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 06:07:27 PM »
Okeydokey.  You're trying to make a Ruth's Chris steak ala' propane.   grin

(But I still really like my Holland Grill!)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"