Author Topic: Hey buddy, can you spare a movie ticket?  (Read 4065 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Hey buddy, can you spare a movie ticket?
« on: July 16, 2008, 07:25:45 AM »
Hundreds of Denver's homeless could be cooling their heels in a movie theater or museum while the Democratic National Convention is in town next month.

The Colorado Coalition for the Homeless plans to get 500 movie tickets as well as passes to the Denver Zoo, Denver Museum of Nature and Science and other cultural facilities for the people it helps.

Bus tickets will be provided for events beyond walking distance, said John Parvensky, the non-profit's president.

Many day shelters will have expanded hours during the convention, and big screen TVs are being donated to some shelters so patrons can watch convention goings-on without being caught up in the mayhem.

"We're trying to let folks know what activities are planned, and what other places they'll be able to go without being harassed," Parvensky said.

A two-day voter registration drive is also planned at shelters and health clinics to ensure that metro area homeless people have access to the polls in November.

Backers of the plan say it's a more sanitary and humane way to take care of people.

But not everyone buys it.

"It just sounds like another way to get rid of them," said Kayne Coy, 17, who volunteers feeding the homeless twice a week at Civic Center Park through the Food Not Bombs organization.

As for the convention, Coy said: "I've heard rumors that all the homeless people are going to be sent away to Aurora or somewhere else."

Parvensky vigorously denied that there will any attempt to hide the homeless during convention, which runs Aug. 25-28.

Tight security around the Pepsi Center means some homeless people will get booted out of their regular camps along the South Platte River. Then, there's the protests and parades.

"A person who typically sits under a tree in a park that is now occupied by 1,000 protesters won't have the peace and quiet they're desiring," Parvensky said. "Particularly those with mental illness can't cope with crowds."

Parvensky is confident Denver police won't target homeless people unless a law is being broken. Aggressive panhandling and begging for money in front of an ATM machine are both banned.

But he remains concerned for people's welfare.

"Our concern going forward is that the city doesn't control everything - the Secret Service plays a role," he said. "We don't know what will happen if protests get out of control and people get caught up in something they didn't intend to."

But some homeless people also aren't enthusiastic about the plan.

Ronnie Wand, who was panhandling across the street, said he will believe the free tickets when he sees them.

"I don't care," said the 62-year-old, who expects to land in jail for vagrancy during the DNC.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/15/homeless-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-movie-ticket-duri/

While I think getting as many people registered to vote is commendable, I see at least one problem with a homeless person being registered.  How do you assign them to a district if they have no home?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Hey buddy, can you spare a movie ticket?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:33:34 AM »
Simple, just mandate that homeless people are only allowed to vote for third-party candidates, and it won't matter which district receives the votes.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:51:15 AM »
While I think getting as many people registered to vote is commendable, I see at least one problem with a homeless person being registered.  How do you assign them to a district if they have no home?

Obviously, we have to let bums vote for representatives of the Democratic (sic) party here, there, and a few more places.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:43:54 AM »
A two-day voter registration drive is also planned at shelters and health clinics to ensure that metro area homeless people have access to the polls in November.

So that they can vote 12-14 times in one day, just like in Chicago.   police
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:58:06 AM »
When are they going to get to the prisons?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 11:05:52 AM »
I think prisoners should be allowed their vote. I have never agreed with the practice of preventing prisoners from voting.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

FiveBillionAcres

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:47:25 PM »
You have to register to vote and you need proof of your citizenship and a mailing address for that in most places, homless people seldom have either, even if they frequent a shelter.

As for prisoners voting, do they vote based on what state their federal prison is in or where they were arrested? In some states it would actually be possible for prisoners to elect someone running on a prisoner platform as governor or a federal representative if they were organized and then he could just grant pardons aplenty.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:58:57 PM »
You have to register to vote and you need proof of your citizenship and a mailing address for that in most places, homless people seldom have either, even if they frequent a shelter.

As for prisoners voting, do they vote based on what state their federal prison is in or where they were arrested? In some states it would actually be possible for prisoners to elect someone running on a prisoner platform as governor or a federal representative if they were organized and then he could just grant pardons aplenty.

The prison population isn't that large (1.5 - 2 million in the entire US; some congressional districts are larger), and anyone running on a platform of pardoning all prisoners would see  a massive backlash come election day. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:55:36 AM »
If you want to talk about ex-cons voting after getting out of prison and paying their debt, we can talk about that.  If you want prisoners to vote while in prison or on probation afterward, not only no, but hell no.   grin
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 04:57:23 AM »
There are shelters and help centers who provide free mail service for homeless people.  Some provide email and such as well. 

Of course, if homeless people are motivated enough to vote, I just have to ask why they aren't motivated enough to move forward in other areas of their lives. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 08:52:38 AM »
If you want to talk about ex-cons voting after getting out of prison and paying their debt, we can talk about that.  If you want prisoners to vote while in prison or on probation afterward, not only no, but hell no.   grin

Prisoners vote in Israel. No problems have materialized due to this.

Hell, we let one guy RUN FOR OFFICE from prison (not Israeli office, but still).
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 08:58:14 AM »

Hell, we let one guy RUN FOR OFFICE from prison (not Israeli office, but still).

They would vote for Democrats, who are soft on crime and consider them to be victims of society, not their fault.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 10:28:39 PM »

They would vote for Democrats, who are soft on crime and consider them to be victims of society, not their fault.

Maybe that'll encourage the Democrats to repeal some laws and get some people out of prison, then.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 05:20:19 AM »

Maybe that'll encourage the Democrats to repeal some laws and get some people out of prison, then.

They already do. As I said, things like gangstas who do drive-bys and repeat home invaders are victims of society, and child molesters just need love and understanding. Tongue

That nutcase who was holed up here threatening to have his associates kill the families of law enforcement if they tried to take him over his tax fraud (he's in Fed prison now) had been pardoned for armed robbery by then governor Michael Dukakis of MA, a Democrat, which was the only reason he was allowed to purchase all the guns like the 50-cals he had pointed out the windows to "take down" the US Marshals. Otherwise, he'd have been banned as a convicted felon, a good idea, since, having performed armed robbery, he had already demonstrated a willingness to misuse a firearm to cause harm. Everyone was so, so pleased to find that out, you bet.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 07:08:20 AM »
My view on this is already known to you. Lock the gangstas up and throw away the key.

Mass-pardon guys like Olofson, Fincher, even Cory Maye.