Author Topic: Black Activists opposed grocery store opening in "non-diverse" neighborhood.  (Read 2527 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
and their high paying jobs also.  G-d forbid people should be able to rise up out of poverty and improve their lives.

http://benswann.com/black-activitists-and-politicians-force-trader-joes-grocery-out-claim-it-would-attract-too-many-whites/

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
and their high paying jobs also.  G-d forbid people should be able to rise up out of poverty and improve their lives.

That would be "acting white". Just like a black kid wanting to do well in school is ostracized and bullied because wanting to better yourself is "acting white". And how if you are a black politician or community leader and you want to end the poverty/welfare cycle or try to work closer with whites then you are an Uncle Tom race traitor.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
And then Michelle Obama will blame racist white society for the "food desert" that results . . .  :facepalm:

My own opinion: some of the community organizers wanted their palms greased under the table, and the racists at Trader Joe's didn't oblige.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
Sometimes the eternal victims display the fact they are their own worst enemy. ;/
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

dogmush

• friend
Behold the bare face of racism in America today.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
It is Portland.  I am, unfortunately, not surprised.  And to think, it used to be such a great town.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
The Portland African American Leadership Forum, along with the Mayor Charlie Hales, sent letters to Portland Development Commission citing that they were “contributing to the destructive impact of gentrification and displacement of the African American community.” They also said that they would remain opposed to all development of the land that doesn’t solely benefit African Americans.

Translation: "You can't be racist but we can, and we are, and we like our stinking ghetto so keep your color-blind mitts off it."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Trader Joe's is high on the list of Stuff White People Like, so maybe there's your problem.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
I just read a blurb on the 'net that said the residents were keen for the idea and wanted the store.  It was the commie pinko "community organizers" who screwed the pooch.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

Only logical answer is someone wanted a bribe and it wasn't paid. Otherwise, it makes about zero sense.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
For years and years the minority activists in Tulsa whined and cried about a lack of grocery stores in North Tulsa. North Tulsa is known mostly for it's minority heavy population.  A fair sized chain grocery store opened on the North side of Tulsa a few years ago. 

It got robbed the first night it was open.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Only logical answer is someone wanted a bribe and it wasn't paid. Otherwise, it makes about zero sense.

Ayup.

In Dallas County, the High Priest of Political Payoff is John Wiley Price.  He is currently being investigated for deep-sixing a logistics depot in the (heavily black) south of the county because the developers would not give him and his cronies a 15% share for doing nothing.  A couple thousand middle class jobs went "poof" up in a puff of smoke.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
I can understand ... you let one white family move in and there goes the neighborhood  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
http://ricochet.com/main-feed/Community-Organizers-Chase-Trader-Joe-s-Out-of-Portlandia

Hours after Trader Joe’s pulled out, PAALF leaders arrived at a previously scheduled press conference trying to process what just happened. The group re-issued demands that the now-cancelled development include affordable housing, mandated jobs based on race, and a small-business slush fund. Instead, the only demand being met is two fallow acres and a lot of anger from the people who actually live nearby.

“All of my neighbors were excited to have Trader Joe’s come here and replace a lot that has always been empty,” said Nghi Tran. “It’s good quality for poor men.” Like many residents, Tran pins the blame on PAALF. “They don’t come to the neighborhood cleanups,” he said. “They don’t live here anymore.”
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
^^^ From the article, I see that the area is 25% African-American.  Hmmm.  Seattle is pretty similar to Portland, and a lot of the historically-black areas are now predominantly made up of Asians and Hispanics, when they are not being gentrified.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Can I ask an honest but apparently naive question? What's wrong with gentrification? I thought it was when a neighborhood got cleaned up, and made to look nice? If I understand correctly, they WANT neighborhoods to not be nice places?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Why does this story bring to mind Conspiracy Brother from Undercover Brother?

Brad
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:59:20 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
^^^The explanation that I typically hear is that gentrification tends to raise housing rents and purchase prices such that the original residents and businesses are priced out of the area.  Next all you have is hipsters living in lofts and stores that just sell artisanal mayonnaise (http://www.wnyc.org/story/217551-artisanal-mayonnaise/).

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Can I ask an honest but apparently naive question? What's wrong with gentrification? I thought it was when a neighborhood got cleaned up, and made to look nice? If I understand correctly, they WANT neighborhoods to not be nice places?

Gentrification not only brings in new, paler folk to fix up run-down property, it pushes out the existing darker population.

It is not only a pricing deal like MillCreek wrote, but gentrifiers (especially second wave) organize and insist on better "public services."  That is gentrifier-speak for "more cops arresting criminals."  That also pushes the previous inhabitants out in large numbers as previously tolerated criminality is no longer tolerated.

So, local "community organizers" seek to head that mess off at the pass.  Because their sort has ended up without much of a community to organize after a decade of gentrification.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
If I understand correctly, they WANT neighborhoods to not be nice places?

YES

A better neighborhood means less power for the "community leaders"

The ghetto is the modern plantation, and the "community leaders" are the overseers.

It's a stunning mentality that makes you shake your head...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

Instead, the only demand being met is two fallow acres and a lot of anger from the people who actually live nearby.

“All of my neighbors were excited to have Trader Joe’s come here and replace a lot that has always been empty,” said Nghi Tran. “It’s good quality for poor men.” Like many residents, Tran pins the blame on PAALF. “They don’t come to the neighborhood cleanups,” he said. “They don’t live here anymore.”

I came across these articles today, and was going to start another thread, but they seem appropriate here.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/2312:black-chicago-divided

http://www.dailypaul.com/311308/chicago-grassroots-activist-mark-carter-black-americans-would-be-better-off-if-obama-just-quit

And this, tangentially-related article, just because it's fun to read about the humbling of the One.  =)
http://reason.com/archives/2014/02/05/obamas-progressive-mirage-has-faded
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
It is like they want people to be poor, lazy, ignorant and uneducated, for the purpose of representing them and reaping profits and reputation as Someone Who Does Something Good. It's like they are nothing but cattle, to be milked for votes and numbers to back them up and lend credibility... [tinfoil]
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Gentrification not only brings in new, paler folk to fix up run-down property, it pushes out the existing darker population.

It is not only a pricing deal like MillCreek wrote, but gentrifiers (especially second wave) organize and insist on better "public services."  That is gentrifier-speak for "more cops arresting criminals."  That also pushes the previous inhabitants out in large numbers as previously tolerated criminality is no longer tolerated.

So, local "community organizers" seek to head that mess off at the pass.  Because their sort has ended up without much of a community to organize after a decade of gentrification.

Ah, I could see that being an issue if the indigenous population rents rather than owns. Otherwise, they'd make hand over fist from gentrification. I'd gather there'd be two crowds. One that would appreciate the nicer, safer neighborhood with more jobs and whatnot. And another that would be displeased with higher costs and actual police enforcement.

Also, who or what is a community organizer? I've heard the term, but have no idea what it actually means. I gather it's self-appointed, and assume it's someone that started a non-profit.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Ah, I could see that being an issue if the indigenous population rents rather than owns. Otherwise, they'd make hand over fist from gentrification. I'd gather there'd be two crowds. One that would appreciate the nicer, safer neighborhood with more jobs and whatnot. And another that would be displeased with higher costs and actual police enforcement.

Also, who or what is a community organizer? I've heard the term, but have no idea what it actually means. I gather it's self-appointed, and assume it's someone that started a non-profit.
Perhaps the property owners make out better, but they aren't the ones developing or doing serious remodels. They're being paid just enough by a developer or property management group to sell and gtfo. They are making some off the deal, but by and large not reaping most of the benefits.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.