Author Topic: Early voting for the status quo....  (Read 2628 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Early voting for the status quo....
« on: November 06, 2016, 06:44:19 PM »
A few years back in one of P.J. O'Rourkes books, he discussed his coverage of the Nicaraguan election.  And he noted that as the drove through the countryside, people were standing in long lines to vote. And he noted that people won't stand in line to vote for the status quo.

All this week, early voting has been "steady", as in there are always people voting or going through the line to vote.  We've never had a time where we didn't have at least 10 voters in the poling place.  We've been averaging about 500 voters per day.  That's quite a few.   Yesterday was bad.  There was always a line maybe 20 people at the most.

Remember that mentioned having to stand outside the building directing people in?  No need for that today.  The line was at least 75 people long ALL DAY.  And for longer at times, with it being out the door all day.  We had over 1800 voters today.   In years past, we'd be lucky if we  has 1800 voters the entire 2 week voting period.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say people aren't voting for the status qio....     .

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Blakenzy

• friend
Re: Early voting for the status quo....
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 07:13:13 PM »
Hopefully so...

This is probably the one last chance for a "peaceful" revolution.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 11:23:43 PM »
my son did early voting today (in Chicago).  He says he was in line for an hour.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 06:58:19 AM »
my son did early voting today (in Chicago).  He says he was in line for an hour.

In Chicago?  He wasted his time.  I'm sure someone already voted for the right candidate for him.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:14:49 AM »
In Chicago?  He wasted his time.  I'm sure someone already voted for the right candidate for him.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:21:39 AM »

That is extremely funny. Except for some reason it makes me sad.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 07:49:01 PM »
Well, if anything this morning was probably Hillary time.  Lots of young women with the pony tail out the back of the ballcap and wearing lycra shirts and pants or mom's sporting the Han Solo look* with a preschool aged kid or two in tow.

By mid-morning we were back to the usual elderly and business attired voters.  

Still getting slammed though.  The lines were never less the 30 minutes to vote with it snaking outside.   When I left at 2pm we had ~1500 voters.  

*- http://dentzdenim.com/how-to-rock-a-han-solo-inspired-look-this-fall/

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:35:03 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 08:32:24 PM »
Lots of young women with the pony tail out the back of the ballcap and wearing lyrica shirts and pants

http://www.lyrica.com/

???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 11:03:25 PM »
I did the early Voting in Lawton, OK. Oct 3

Standing in line for 2 hours, with strangers ,next to a busy city street and being disarmed. (court house)

Was not fun............

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 12:01:00 AM »
I'll admit to a tiny, barely flickering ember of hope that 24 hours from now Clinton won't be all over the news crowing about her victory.  Unless gets some kind of overwhelming majority at least as strong as Reagan got in 1980 she will be the next president.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 12:07:38 AM »
My wife waited in line 3.5 hours to vote early.  People were having food delivered to them in line.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 08:32:33 AM »
We were in line 10 minutes before they opened. Took 30 minutes till we were back out the door.
I've been voting at this spot for 21 years. For the last 10 or so we come down, vote and go get breakfast.  I've never had to stand in line more than 2-3 minutes before.
I am slightly encouraged.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 08:58:46 AM »
I had to wait eight seconds (third in line) to put our ballots in the drop box outside of the library yesterday.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 10:21:15 AM »
I tried to vote early last Friday, but wasn't willing to stand in line for over 2 hours on such a nice day.  Took my chances waiting until this morning.  Got there at 08:00 (polls opened at 07:00) and it was busy but no waiting -- and there was plenty of parking.  Bunch of old and middle-aged white people, and a few yoots but not many at all (they were white too; maybe my precinct is all white.)

I decided to use the AutoMark machine just to see how it works; that took a long time because it kept asking me "are you sure" when I didn't scroll to the bottom of the presidential race, or I left a judicial race blank.  (there were about 20 judges on the ballot this time.)
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 10:58:22 AM »
I got to my polling place at 0630 and finally finished at 0800.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 01:32:23 PM »
We were in and out on 5 minutes.  Benefits of a small town.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »
No line where I vote but the 20+ voting stations were mostly filled.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 02:17:37 PM »
Short line to get in here, went quick once inside.  Voting was smooth.  Two points of minor conflict.
1.  We have I-177 on the ballot that bans trapping on all public lands.  A guy with Vote Yes placards and a giant stuffed dog on top of his suburban was parked right next to the door, he was standing next to it waving a sign.  I informed an election judge as I walked in he said he would take care of it.  the guy was gone when I left a few minutes later.
2.  My polling place is a school gym.  There is a single set of double doors for entrance and exit.  Only left door was open and folks were running into each other because the line went right out through that door.  I opened the right door so the opening was wider.  A judge decided that was bad and had it closed again and locked when I was done voting.  Apparently for "reasons".

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 06:57:18 PM »
I live in a small town. Only one polling place -- the gymnasium of the former elementary school. I went early, to beat the rush. HAH!

Parking lot was full. All spaces on the street and at the church across the street full. All spaces at the police station and library -- full. The line was out the door. I have no idea who all those people voted for, but I've lived in this town for almost my entire life and I've never seen it like this.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 07:03:08 PM »
Drove by the polling place about 15 minutes ago. Lines out the door.
This is a small town, population. 1700 + the rural residents. Huge turnout for.this little burg.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 07:07:20 PM »
Voter 307 at 6:15pm. Good turnout since town proper is 70. I think last presidential this precinct was at about 260.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 07:14:35 PM »
I got to my polling place at 7:15AM.   Parking lot quit full, but I found a spot.
There were three lines,  they'd  divided the people up alphabetically into thirds.   First line had maybe 15 people.    Second had none at all.  Third   had a bazillion.....it went out the door.
Of course, I was in THAT line.   Forty minutes later though, I was out.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 07:54:56 PM »
We're in a decent sized town, but the way everything lays out means the precinct is quite small. Wife and I were in and out, no line. It only took as long as the poll workers took to scan a license, walk us each over to a voting machine and plug the thing in, and for us to hit the right buttons and walk out.

The place voting place just up the road for the precinct I'd be in if I lived across the street? I'd have been in line for quite awhile.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 08:46:36 PM »
Historically high turnouts here too.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 08:56:49 PM »
Not a good sign for Trump.  High turnouts generally favor Democrats.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.