Author Topic: Lost on the Appalachian Trail  (Read 328 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Re: Lost on the Appalachian Trail
« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:28:19 AM »
I'm glad I spent a lot of time in the BSA in the early seventies.

At the tender age of 11.5, I was taught how to read a paper map as I had to "navigate" for my Mother as she took me and my younger brother out west for 6 weeks.
Our Dad was with us the first 2 weeks (Denver, Royal Gorge, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Lake Mead, & Disneyland), then we spent 4 weeks out there - just the 3 of us.  Hearst Castle at San Simeon, SF, Yosemite, King's Canyon & Sequoia, Wupatki Indian ruins in norther AZ, Sunset Crater, Arches, and Canyonlands, then home.

Talk about "memories" !!
  =D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: Today at 01:09:14 AM »
So, your house wears a tinfoil hat.

Yep. Saves me having to wear one, unless I go outdoors.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: Today at 09:22:31 AM »
So, your house wears a tinfoil hat.

This sounds like a reasonable trade-off for the GPS app not working.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #28 on: Today at 01:19:42 PM »
It's interesting that this popped up this weekend.  I actually taught a land navy class to my unit at Drill this weekend.  One of the "this is why it matters to you stories" was a SSG (E6) that got lost last year doing land nav at Ft. Jackson and died 50 m outside the land nav course.

And yes, I am super atypical for most people I know going into the woods but between my time in Alaska, and basic Murphy protection, I'd rather carry more than I have to. The line between civilization and dying alone in the woods is often very thin, and less than a 20 min walk from where you meant to be.

FYI, you can go to www.caltopo.com and print topo maps free, of anywhere in the US and take one with you, just in case.  I use 1:50,000 and MGRS because I like it, but you can play with your grid overlay and scale to your hearts content. Free. No reason not to have a map.

Funny story: Mrs. Mush, my mother, and I flew to Vegas a couple years back to climb Mt. Charleston. Like 16 mile round trip and 6500ish feet up. Mrs mush got food poisoning the night before, but we tried the hike anyway.  She also got a touch of altitude sickness when we got over 10,000'. When we turned around, we were already late, and by the time we got to like 7 miles from the car, things were going bad. Mrs. Mush was that part of hypothermic where she was trying to take clothes off, storm had come in with 35 or so kt winds on the ridge we were on, dark was like 2.5 hours away, and we were moving 1.5 mph or so.  It was decided that I'd go ahead to a high point get some cell service and call 911 to let Rescue know that we were at least out there, and what was going on.

Made the call, talked to a very professional lady at mountain rescue dispatch, told here we were still moving but we might end up stuck out here. Going down her checklist she asked what we had for supplies. I said "It was only supposed to be a day hike so not all that much. We're down to 6 liters of water, two gallon bags of trail mix, cheese and meat, fire starter, 4 space blankets, some 550 cord, 3 flashlights, one headlamp, our phones,  two battery banks for the phones, good knife, standalone GPS, map, compass., and first aid kit"  There was a solid 5 count pause, and she was like " Okaaaaay, seems like you have enough to make it to tomorrow if you need to."

We made it off the mountain about 2230, called them back and let them know, and they thanked us for both fixing it ourselves and thinking to give them a heads up.

Mrs. Mush put this sticker on her water bottle after that.

I love this story, dogmush, thanks for posting it.

I got lost hunting several years ago.  I even had a GPS with me.  I had wandered several miles on foot from my base camp, opting to scout some territory in the White Mountains that were reasonably removed from forest roads.  The forest was thick enough that I couldn't see familiar peaks, and I was also several miles away from a familiar canyon that makes for a good nav reference.  The big thing that got me though, was dehydration.  Left camp with a partially full camelbak, lower than I estimated.  Also hadn't been good about hydrating when coming back to camp after several days out in the woods.  Started reading the GPS incorrectly due to that.  I ended up coming out of the backcountry onto a totally separate set of roads than I anticipated, about 3 miles from camp but at least recognizing the road numbers.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: Today at 02:15:16 PM »
Dogmush related:

"Going down her checklist she asked what we had for supplies. I said "It was only supposed to be a day hike so not all that much. We're down to 6 liters of water, two gallon bags of trail mix, cheese and meat, fire starter, 4 space blankets, some 550 cord, 3 flashlights, one headlamp, our phones,  two battery banks for the phones, good knife, standalone GPS, map, compass., and first aid kit"  There was a solid 5 count pause, and she was like ' Okaaaaay, seems like you have enough to make it to tomorrow if you need to.'"

Heh-heh.  Wisecrackey me would have said "I should call you if I need rescuing!"

I'll never forget my Noo Yawk Scoutmaster showing us how to start a fire at one of those really really rainy Jamborees in upstate Noo Yawk. (Yes, along or nearby the Appalachian Trail.)

Everybody was having trouble starting a fire and good ole Scoutmaster Larry gathered us together around our little soaking wet correctly assembled fire pile and asked us what the Boy Scout Motto was.

"Be prepared!"

Then he pulled a can of Ronsonol out of his pack and dribbled a little onto the wet pile of tinder, and touched a match to it.

Voila!  We were the only ones who got a fire started in such short order.

Be prepared.  Noo Yawk style.

Terry, 230RN

REF (SInce so few people smoke cigarettes any more):

Don't overdo it !

« Last Edit: Today at 02:32:41 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: Today at 03:06:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxsMJbE18_4
I saw this a while back on making cheap fire starters with wax.  Never got around to trying to make them. 

Lighters and lighter fluid would likely be quicker and easier. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge