Author Topic: A senior moment working on my motorcycle.  (Read 8501 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: A senior moment working on my motorcycle.
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »
I have yet to purchase a motorcycle where the owners manual covered anything more involving than oil change.

But that would have mentioned to use only 3 quarts ...
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »
But that would have mentioned to use only 3 quarts ...

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
I have yet to purchase a motorcycle where the owners manual covered anything more involving than oil change.
Which would include how much oil to put in, and so we're back to Monkeyleg.   =D

Notice how I was able to restrain myself from saying anything until page 2?   :angel:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »
senior moment working on one?  annoying    senior moment riding one?  life changing.  its why i am not on 2 wheels right now

Well, you shouldn't be changing the oil while riding it anyway.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »
I once was pouring the oil in and it came right back out, I had forgotten to screw the  drain plug back in, it wasn't a senior moment ( 30 yrs old at the time)-I was stoned.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 06:37:07 PM »
I once was pouring the oil in and it came right back out, I had forgotten to screw the  drain plug back in, it wasn't a senior moment ( 30 yrs old at the time)-I was stoned.

I've heard of a lot of dealer mechanics (as well as "mechanics" at quick-oil-change places doing the same thing.

Look at things this way, though: after taking apart and reassembling everything I mentioned, the stator works, the clutch and drivetrain work, the valves and rockers work, no gaskets leak, and the bike runs fine. It's just going to puke oil for a few miles. And that's after taking apart all this stuff:

And this stuff:

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 09:14:51 AM »
I sold my Road King this spring, and now have just a Kawasaki KLR650 (a poor man's bike).

The clutch and stator are on opposite ends of the crankshaft, so disassembling either is much less effort than you experienced.

You need a couple of funky, single-task tools but the rotor itself comes off quite easily. I have yet to pull the clutch pack, though...

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »
Which would include how much oil to put in, and so we're back to Monkeyleg.   =D

Notice how I was able to restrain myself from saying anything until page 2?   :angel:

DD

Ah, I thought you were referring to the thread hijack parts about clutch and/or stator fixes.  You are correct, the manual would have alleviated the "put to much oil in factor"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 09:17:33 PM »
My Shovelhead leaks oil like a sieve, particularly from those damned external oil lines to the heads.  Harley never came up with a decent way to seal those on the head end, IMHO.

They say the Evo engines fixed the leaks.  I dunno, for now I just look on the ground under the bike, and surmise that if there's oil there, there's probably some in the oil tank, too.   =D

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »
They say the Evo engines fixed the leaks.

Yeah, sure. If you replace the rocker box gaskets every other year, and the cylinder base gaskets every third year or so.

When the Twin Cams came out, the service manager was trying to talk me into buying one. Said they were a whole lot more reliable. It wasn't even a week later that I saw one broken down by the side of the road.