Author Topic: Scalia Takes Kagan Skeet Shooting  (Read 6017 times)

Waitone

• friend
Scalia Takes Kagan Skeet Shooting
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »
An obligatory thread if ever there was one.  I wonder if she was briefed on those pesky rules.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/10/25/scalia-takes-kagan-to-gun-range-sources-say/
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:25:23 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Scalia Takes Kagan Skeet Shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:31:17 PM »

Uhm.  Yay?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:32:21 PM »
Good for Scalia.  Now we need Alito and Roberts to join in.

We talk about 2A advocacy in the workplace... this is a fine manifestation of it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 04:34:43 PM »
My first thought was "Two go out, one comes back."  I guess that might not be appropriate, but I laugh since I remember it as a classic Bugs Bunny cartoon.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »
Good for Scalia.  Now we need Alito and Roberts to join in.

We talk about 2A advocacy in the workplace... this is a fine manifestation of it.

If there was a SCOTUS shooting circle, I'd just about die laughing.  Come to think about it, you've never heard a Justice getting knocked off. Guess we know why now. 

Hell, I'd kick in for Kagan's range membership.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 04:53:27 PM »
Uhm.  Yay?

Damn straight.

The impact of a personal frame of reference is huge when it comes to guns.  It's great that Scalia took this step, and it's a positive sign that she was willing to go.

The disinformation about guns is so pervasive and so divorced from reality that this is one area where a little bit of personal experience can make a huge difference. 

In Mock Trial, I argued for defense on a murder case with a coue criminal attorney hopefuls--me and the judge were the only people in the room who knew anything about guns.  Kind of important in a shooting case.  It was fun pointing out that the bullet that could have been shot from defedendant's .357 is the same bullet as a bunch of other calibers, including one of the most popular revolver calibers.  No one else in the too
 Had any comprehension of the difference between caliber and bullet size.  People who know nothing about guns not only don't know enough to know what they don't know, but when it comes to highly politicized aka SCOTUS cases, what they do know is often flat out wrong.

"The thing that goes up" is the sort of brilliant result you get when even smart people are called upon to make determinations without any kind of frame of reference.  There's only so far that doing some reading will take you, and on the gun issue, that ain't very far at all.

I turned one geeky liberal Jew into a diehard shooter and 2a advocate; here's hoping Scalia manages the same trick.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »
Good for Scalia.  Now we need Alito and Roberts to join in. . . .
Why limit it to just the judiciary? I was thinking Dick Cheney . . .  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
Why limit it to just the judiciary? I was thinking Dick Cheney . . .  :O

Now you're thinking.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »
This is great....hope it opens her eyes....

...but then, she may come away with the typical liberal "gun-control-for-thee-but-not-for-me" elitist attitude....hope not....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »
I hope Scalia's watching his back.  

Please don't tell me we're going to have another elitist who thinks the 2A is about duck hunting...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
It doesn't matter how many times he takes her to the range. Her mind is already been made up on the issue. It's not about being misguided. It's about a destructive Marxist ideology that's in direct opposition to the Constitution and BoR. Leopards don't lose their spots and hardcore commies don't lose their red streaks. If Obama thought for a second she would falter on the red way, he would have never nominated her.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 07:10:59 PM »
I'd feel better about it if Scalia took her to a machine gun social.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 09:34:43 PM »
I'd feel better about it if Scalia took her to a machine gun social.

Do you think Scalia would go to one himself?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 09:57:06 PM »
It doesn't matter how many times he takes her to the range. Her mind is already been made up on the issue. It's not about being misguided. It's about a destructive Marxist ideology that's in direct opposition to the Constitution and BoR. Leopards don't lose their spots and hardcore commies don't lose their red streaks. If Obama thought for a second she would falter on the red way, he would have never nominated her.

;/

Yea!  So we shouldn't try to convert anti-gunnies.  Wonderful idea.  You know, we should just insult our opposition instead of trying to educate them too. 

Yea yea, honestly, I doubt she'll turn into Ron Paul overnight.  But, mind you, she's not accountable to anyone for her opinions anymore.  It's a life long appointment, realistically.  No one can hold her feet to the flames to remain ideologically pure.  She can do as she pleases. 

That kind of unlimited power, even in a narrow niche, is intoxicating at first.  But sobering after a while.  Gives you a very different perspective and worry about the future.  Why do you think Chief Justice Roberts is pushing the 2A issue at breakneck speed (for a court)?

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 11:34:56 PM »

Uhm.  Yay?

yeah, absolutely.  God forbid one of those evil liberals gets educated about the 2nd amendment and stops buying the brady campaign crud
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »
She digs softball, why not firearms?  Maybe we got a live one here.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 11:38:04 AM »
But, mind you, she's not accountable to anyone for her opinions anymore.  It's a life long appointment, realistically.  No one can hold her feet to the flames to remain ideologically pure.  She can do as she pleases. 

That's a nice thought.  I remember when an associate was contemplating attending Harvard, and a number of people suggested that appearing sufficiently liberal may be an important factor in making it at that illustrious institution. 

One doesn't, of course, build a high-level career on appearances alone, but when her job is pure legal analysis rather than a combination of public relations, liaising with the parent institution, and serving the the public face of a long-standing ultra-liberal organization, it would not be strange to see a lot of her own policies shift. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 09:35:17 AM »
That's a nice thought.  I remember when an associate was contemplating attending Harvard, and a number of people suggested that appearing sufficiently liberal may be an important factor in making it at that illustrious institution. 

One doesn't, of course, build a high-level career on appearances alone, but when her job is pure legal analysis rather than a combination of public relations, liaising with the parent institution, and serving the the public face of a long-standing ultra-liberal organization, it would not be strange to see a lot of her own policies shift. 

I don't read as many SCOTUS briefs as I should, but frankly, they have close to unlimited power and near complete lack of accountability.  That makes a person rather whimsical.  I'm sure they'll act their original part for a while, but eventually, they will realize they are not accountable to anyone now short of committing criminal acts.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 10:56:32 AM »
The sort of power that one wields as a SCOTUS justice is akin to the sort of power that one wields when one carries a gun, in the sense that it gives you the power of live and death over others.  The power of a judge is more subtle and less direct, but it's still power beyond that which a normal person possesses.

People with great power in their hands (whether it be in the form of a gun or a pen) wield it according to their own character.

Most people, if you put a gun in their hands, will (hopefully) realize that it is the power of life and death over others, and will treat it with the respect it is due; immature folks in that situation might be more inclined to (for instance) pick a fight, feeling like they're invincible.  But as they mature, if they have honor, they will use that power in an honorable way:  for the defense of the innocent.  If they lack honor, they will use the power to coerce others for their own interests.

A new-fledged Justice might be not unlike the immature gun-owner:  she might at first be more inclined to rule in arrogant ways, simply because of the lack of accountability.  But as she matures into her role, her ultimate position will be determined by the sum of her personal honor and character:  If she has those qualities, then she will wield her power with honor.  If she lacks them, she will not.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
Attempting to convert a true believer is a pointless. She might even end up liking guns but I really doubt she will like them if they are ours.

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G