Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 11006 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Beer!
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:22:14 PM »
What's your favorite and least favorite beer?

My favorite is probably Dundee Honey Brown.

My least favorite is Guinness.   [barf]

TMM

• friend
Re: Beer!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:30:55 PM »
i love magic hat No. 9 and Circus Boy...

i hate natty light...

TMM

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:41:21 PM »
Favorite beer is Franziskaner Hefeweizen, but I'll happily drink just about any hefe.  Don't do many bitter beers.

Least favorite is a gem called "Dakota Light."  When I found it, it was $5.99 for a case of 24, which was about half the price of Pabst, and a little bit less than regular price on two 12 packs of Coca Cola.

I drank about half the case the first night and never felt more than a slight buzz.  I'd imagine all 24 would have done less than a single 120 minute.  After I finished the case I googled for reviews:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/99/11472
"there's a bit of a wet-cardboard character in the finish"
"It's actually quite reminiscent of that water, that you used to get at camp, that you just know wasn't clean"

Wet cardboard and dirty camp water are pretty much the perfect ways to describe it.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:01:32 PM »
Favorites?  I've several.

The biweekly payday sixer is Oskar Blue's Old Chub: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/14712

The dinning out beer is Sam Adam's Lagar if its on tap.

Camping in the woods/rant around the campfire/pass out in the road, Orkney Brewery Skullsplitter: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/118/402

Least favorite is Coors.  [barf]
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:06:16 PM »
I've standardized on Shiner Bock for regular fare.

Whenever I go somewhere that has Guinness on tap I get that.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:27:20 PM »
Favorite - Thurn und Taxis Hefewiezen, but since I can't get it on this side of the pond, any Hefeweizen will just have to do.

Least Favorite(s) - Coors Light (aka Sparkling Beer Water), and Buck Beer (Not Buckhorn, or Beer for a Buck).  In college we could get a case of 24 Long Necks for $2.00 with the return of the previous 24 bottles.  I think it was bottled directly from the deer...... [barf]  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 11:34:38 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 11:43:39 PM »
Favorite: Dixie Blackened Voodoo or Lech

Least Favorite: Olympia
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:27:52 AM »
Fav's - My homebrews (but haven't done that is waaaayyyy too many years).  Otherwise, just about anything from Deschutes Brewery.  Bust most any good micro-brewery will usually have something worth drinking.  The darker and bitterer the better.

Least fav's - Just about anything from Anheuser Busch, Coors and similar companies.
Formerly sumpnz

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 12:48:23 AM »
My favorite changes from time-to-time.  Currently it's Sierra Nevada "Tornado".  Least favorite was some kind of nut brown ale that I bought once (not Samuel Smith) that turned out to be hazelnut flavored -- with the equivalent of a whole bottle of artificial hazelnut flavoring per carboy.  (winner of some kind of homebrew contest, open-class, and a brewery scaled up their recipe and bottle a run of it)  I drank 2 or 3 bottles before I figured out that it wasn't worth it and pour out the rest.  The smell of hazelnut extract still makes me sick.
"It's good, though..."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 12:58:57 AM »
My favorite changes from time-to-time.  Currently it's Sierra Nevada "Tornado". 

Unfortunately anything from Sierra Nevada I just can't drink.  Had my worst ever drinking experience with their Pale Ale.   [barf] [barf] [barf] dry heave [barf] dry heave [barf] dry heave a few more times.
Formerly sumpnz

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 01:31:12 AM »
Not a big fan of beer.  If I had to pick, I'd choose a wheat ale of some type.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 02:42:15 AM »
Favourite at the moment is Samuel Adams Boston Ale, Bellman, Arton56, Newcastle.
Can't remember the stuff I dislike at the moment.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 03:15:34 AM »
My favorites are:  Rogue's Dead Guy Ale, Lagunitas' Wilco Tango Foxtrot, Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid, Widmer's hefeweizen, and Alaskan Amber.  I also really enjoy a good stout, but I haven't had any lately that really made me jump for joy like the stuff Lagunitas is putting out lately.  I drink Pacific North-West microbrews mostly.  We have some damn good beer here.  If you can find it in your area, I highly recommend anything from Rogue or Widmer, they are both very good breweries out of Oregon.  

I am not a big fan of lagers.  At least not the Coors Light/Budweiser/PBR versions.  I drank the crap out of them as a kid, now I am a more cultured beer drinker. ;)

If you want to take a trip to Oregon this summer, I'll take you out to our brewers festival.  July 22-25 in Portland.  It is pure awesome.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:18:54 AM by Physics »
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 05:21:37 AM »
Favorite? A good IPA. Here in Milwaukee we have two microbreweries, Lakefront and Sprecher that both make an IPA I like.

Least favorite? Stella Artois.  :-X
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:24:39 AM by cosine »
Andy

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 05:40:44 AM »
Favorite is Yuengling on tap. Other than that, I like a beer with a full flavor. 2 years in Germany changed my taste in beers. Worst beer that comes to mind is Miller.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 06:23:22 AM »
Lately, I've stayed with hard cider...Woodchuck in particular. But I still have a small stash of Shiner Holiday Cheer that I try to supplement whenever I can find it. Suprisingly good beer....and I usually don't like Shiner products...

Least favorite is anything with "Bud" in the name....  [barf]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 07:08:11 AM »
I am partial to a good IPA.

Belgian white beer is dog-nasty.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 07:24:58 AM »
My favorites change periodicly, but right now, Rouge's Dead Guy Ale, or Stone's Arrogant Bastard

Least favorite: Probably Coors, but I've refused to drink it in so long I don't really remember what it tastes like.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 08:14:49 AM »
free! =D

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »
Blue moon and its seasonal spin offs, on tap.
Was in Texas for a week last week and realized I really like Shiner on tap.

Least? Bud and Bud light.  I'll usually pass even on a free Bud or Budlight. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 08:31:08 AM »
Faves:
Almost anything from Dogfish Head (Palo Santo Marron, 90min IPA, and Raison d'Etra are my faves from them, WorldWide Stout is really good, but only if from tap)
Wychwood Hobgoblin
Miller High Life or Genuine Draft (yes, really)

Least Favorite:
Any A-B brew
Sam Adams
Stella Artois (one of the few I couldn't even finish)
Anything Belgian (especially Trappist Ales, yuck!)

Chris

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 08:36:35 AM »
Blue moon and its seasonal spin offs, on tap.
Was in Texas for a week last week and realized I really like Shiner on tap.

Least? Bud and Bud light.  I'll usually pass even on a free Bud or Budlight. 
you keep friends that buy bud? :O you is be a better friend than me. =D

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 08:40:05 AM »
I enjoy just about any beer with flavor - many of the Sam Adams varieties, Pete's Wicked Ale, some microbrews. (Though some of the latter seem to have poor QC, since different batches have different flavors.)

I'll tolerate most "mass market" beers (except "lights") if they're free.

I tend to avoid Mexican beers (e.g., Corona) for political reasons as much as taste.

I absolutely, positively WILL NOT DRINK "fruit" adulterated beers like Sam Adams "Cranberry Lambic" or "Blackberry Wittbier."   [barf]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 09:10:57 AM »
that's not qc, that seasonal variation. =D do you eat oatmeal, corn, or something else that's not processed in whole? every year is different(taste, and cooking times). =)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 09:33:04 AM »
Fav's - My homebrews (but haven't done that is waaaayyyy too many years).  Otherwise, just about anything from Deschutes Brewery.  Bust most any good micro-brewery will usually have something worth drinking.  The darker and bitterer the better.

Least fav's - Just about anything from Anheuser Busch, Coors and similar companies.

I believe that Sumpnz and I are long-lost twin brothers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.